obama presidential library (sort of)

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/320601935/m/8960095134

October 12, 2017, 10:05 AM
Il Cattivo
obama presidential library (sort of)
quote:
See what I did

I dunno, it sounds like a perfect representation of his legacy. Lots of extraneous stuff surrounding a "library" that isn't actually a library (because there's nothing actually there) so much as a concrete shell that barely suffices as shelter from a rainstorm.
October 12, 2017, 11:43 AM
Spokane228
quote:
Originally posted by CPD SIG:

I got $50 on the obama library is the first Presidential Library with a homicide.

Big Grin
October 12, 2017, 11:57 AM
downtownv
quote:
Originally posted by ugeesta:
Sounds like another way to make files mysteriously disappear. Fucking charlatan.

Judicial watch has been after loads of these docs and granted a court order to receive them.... The explanation is "We no Longer have them"
keep moving the shells and try to find the pea...
Obama was always a Slimey mother fucker....

https://www.teampython.com

October 12, 2017, 05:27 PM
Ripley
Empty suit, empty library.

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.
February 21, 2019, 12:21 PM
BamaJeepster

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams
February 21, 2019, 12:30 PM
downtownv
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:

Don't forget the mosque and the bath house.[/QUOTE]
The bath house IN the Mosque. FIFY

https://www.teampython.com

February 21, 2019, 12:42 PM
V-Tail
quote:
Originally posted by CPD SIG:

The neighborhood that it's planned for is a shit-hole.
I did not see an address. Maybe I missed it.

Where is this planned to be?

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים
February 21, 2019, 12:58 PM
nhtagmember
what a waste of money

he should pay for it himself, or get the Clintons to toss in a few hundred million

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

February 21, 2019, 01:17 PM
chellim1
Obama wants the monument to be built on over 20 acres of irreplaceable lakefront park land.
The Obama Foundation, a private nonprofit, would pay $10 to the city for use of the parkland for 99 years.

Some folks in Chicago don't like the idea:

Obama's dream of a monument to himself in Chicago suffers a blow from a judge he appointed

February 20, 2019
By Thomas Lifson

Hopes for timely groundbreaking for the "Obama Presidential Center" in Chicago suffered a blow yesterday in a federal courtroom. A federal judge appointed to the bench by Barack Obama gave the go-ahead for a lawsuit that will delay, and quite possibly end, the plan to build and operate the monument as a center for extolling the sheer wonderfulness of Barack and Michelle Obama. The lawsuit, brought by Protect Our Parks, challenges the legality of handing over 20 acres of irreplaceable lakefront park land for 99 years to a private interest group, the Obama Foundation, which enjoys tax deductibility for donations to it but is unaccountable to any elected representatives of the people.

Courtesy of the Obama Foundation.

Michael Tarm of the AP lays out the basic facts of the news:

U.S. District Judge John Robert Blakey heard arguments last week on the city's motion to dismiss the suit and was largely focused on whether the group had standing to sue.

The granting of standing to the plaintiffs is critical, for that was probably the best hope of the Obamas to quash the lawsuit right away.

In its 2018 suit, Protect Our Parks accused the city of illegally transferring parkland to a private entity, The Obama Foundation, effectively "gifting" prized land to a Chicago favorite son. The group said city officials manipulated the approval process and tinkered with legislation to skirt long-standing laws designed to ensure residents have unobstructed access to lakeside parks.

"Defendants have chosen to deal with it in a classic Chicago political way … to deceive and seemingly legitimize an illegal land grab," the lawsuit says.

To make the park available for the project, the Chicago Park District first sold the land to the city for $1. Illinois legislators amended the state's Illinois Aquarium and Museum Act to include presidential libraries as an exception to the no-development rules if there's a compelling public interest. The Chicago City Council approved the project by a 47-to-1 vote last May.

The Obama Foundation, a private nonprofit, would pay $10 to the city for use of the parkland for 99 years, cover the costs of building the complex and be responsible for covering operating costs for 99 years. Once built, the Obama Presidential Center's physical structures would be transferred to the city for free, meaning the city would formally own the center but not control what happens there.

This report obscures the critical factor: the state legislation allowed the construction of "presidential libraries," which are owned by U.S. taxpayers and run by the National Archives in the public interest. The Obama Foundation switched the planned facility to a purely private entity, designed, built, and operated for its own purposes — my take is that it is a monument to Obama (curiously, shaped like a cenotaph) and a center for political organizing. Not a single book or government document would be housed there. It would be run at the whim of the Obama Foundation, glorifying the man whom few would ever call modest.

The term for this sort of maneuver is "bait and switch," and I think it is a solid legal claim. The legislation does not authorize a private monument.

Judge Blakey was appointed to the U.S. District Court for Northern Illinois in 2014 by President Obama. His is twice a graduate of Notre Dame University, with undergraduate and law diplomas from the school.

Judge Blakely also threw out what I regard as a far-fetched argument that the First Amendment rights of the plaintiffs would be violated because the facility would be used for political speech with which they might disagree.

One claim Blakey tossed Tuesday was that taxpayers' First Amendment rights would be infringed upon because tax money would be spent to reconfigure roads and traffic. The suit argued that taxpayers would thus subsidize any partisan political activity by Obama at the center.

The immediate consequence of the ruling is the start of discovery, as the Washington Examiner explains:

The judge's ruling means the hearing determining the parameters for discovery in the case will take place Feb. 27. Because discovery may take months, the judge's decision will delay construction on the center even if it is later approved.

I expect fireworks at the hearing next week. If I were the plaintiffs' counsel, I would demand discovery of a huge range of communications of the Obama Foundation and the Obamas themselves with any political figures in Chicago and the State of Illinois. Given that the city and state are strongholds of the Democrats and notorious for corruption, the possibility of embarrassing emails or letters, and memoranda of conversations, is not negligible. In that environment, people may feel safe from hostile scrutiny.

Incidentally, Protect Our Parks is vehement that its members do not oppose construction of a monument elsewhere, and they even point to a plot of vacant land on the Southside of Chicago that is not park land. But it is not lakefront property, so it is much less prestigious and visible. Less personal glory for Obama. But if part of the aim of the facility is to help "urban youth," it would be located in the midst of a community with many, many more minority young people than live in and around Jackson Park.

Read more: https://www.americanthinker.co...d.html#ixzz5gC8ll6yA

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor
February 21, 2019, 01:25 PM
gearhounds
His presidency was an empty sham; why should his library be any different?

Narcissistic piece of shit.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown
February 21, 2019, 01:32 PM
zoom6zoom
quote:
will not actually have library materials

It's hardly surprising. No one has EVER seen any of his documents or papers.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.
February 21, 2019, 01:37 PM
kz1000
Found the bathroom.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Yidn, shreibt un fershreibt"

"The Nazis entered this war under the rather childish delusion that they were going to bomb everyone else, and nobody was going to bomb them. At Rotterdam, London, Warsaw and half a hundred other places, they put their rather naive theory into operation. They sowed the wind, and now they are going to reap the whirlwind."
-Bomber Harris
February 21, 2019, 03:55 PM
egregore
quote:
Obama’s Library Architects Say Project May Need $1.5 Billion (that was in February)

An outhouse in the desert would be a lot cheaper. And when he stops over there could be sleep accommodations in the basement.
February 21, 2019, 04:21 PM
erj_pilot
Empty suit...empty library. No surprises here... (dang Ripley...I SWEAAR I hadn't read your post when I typed mine. Great minds... Smile)

quote:
Originally posted by sdy:
It will instead be an institution for training the Barack Obamas and Michelle Obamas of the future.

So in other words, a place to learn how to do and accomplish absolutely NOTHING, lie, cheat, steal and all the while, bilk millions from idiots.

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24
February 21, 2019, 04:33 PM
Ozarkwoods
You would think he would at least have picture books.

Too bad they tore down Cabrini Green would be a fitting location.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
February 21, 2019, 05:12 PM
bobtheelf
Gee, I wonder why they don't want hard copies of his documents there?
February 21, 2019, 06:30 PM
olfuzzy
quote:
Originally posted by Ripley:
Empty suit, empty library.

And don't forget the empty chair Big Grin

February 21, 2019, 06:39 PM
braillediver
An empty library truly reflects obamas presidency and accomplishments.

It's like a joke But it's true.

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.
February 21, 2019, 07:22 PM
flashguy
quote:
He has vowed that his presidential center will not be a tribute to him. It will instead be an institution for training the Barack Obamas and Michelle Obamas of the future.
One can only hope that it fails miserably in that quest. The World does not need more Barack and Michelle Obamas.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth
February 21, 2019, 08:03 PM
gearhounds
quote:
Originally posted by flashguy:
quote:
He has vowed that his presidential center will not be a tribute to him. It will instead be an institution for training the Barack Obamas and Michelle Obamas of the future.
One can only hope that it fails miserably in that quest. The World does not need more Barack and Michelle Obamas.

flashguy

If we need to train people to be pieces of shit, we should just head to the nearest toilet. The Obamas can go fuck themselves.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown