SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Motorcycle ride and faith
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Motorcycle ride and faith Login/Join 
posted
Beautiful day here in N.E. Ohio and I decided to get the Harley out and go for a ride. It's therapy as most know who do ride.
I was out for about 2 hours and saw things that partially restores my faith in humanity.
I saw very green grass at a few houses I rode by and I'm sure the owner fertilized their yard but the deep green surprised me this early in Spring. Nice to see tho.
I saw bunches of kids playing in yards, riding bikes and just enjoying themselves. I'm sure the parents told them to go outside as they've been cooped up for a bit with the cooler weather earlier this week.
Lots of people out walking or pedaling a bike down the roads. Something about a warmer day and probably needing to get out.
People on tractors rolling their yard or mowing it. I could smell the fresh cut grass but not as strong as it would be if it was hot. A good smell nonetheless.
I stopped at a bank parking lot to stretch and had a biker and his girlfriend stop and chat a bit. We kept our distance but it was nice to have a little human interaction other than my family at work.
Last stop was a boat launching area at a lake near me. Packed with trailers and as I rode over the causeway, I saw a lot of boats on the lake.
I really needed the ride to take some weight from my shoulders and it was good to see people carrying on with their lives in spite of what's happening now.

I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I'm not.

Posts: 3652 | Location: The armpit of Ohio | Registered: August 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
Sounds like a nice ride! Thanks for sharing your experience.

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38647 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
Glad you got some wind therapy.

T-storms here today but tomorrow looks promising for me to get in a ride.

We’re way ahead of y’all in terms of spring (our winter was so mild the peppers and tomatoes in my garden didn’t die) and I’ve never seen lawns and landscaping look better. Seems others have found it’s good exercise, good for your mood, and a good social distancing activity.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23220 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Nice! The first ride of the season is always one of the best for me. I’ll typically get a few rides in during the winter but it’s not the same as enjoying an exquisite spring ride on a beautiful day.

Motorcycles are good for the soul. I feel like a lot of societal anger and problems would be cured if more people rode. If I’m pissed or just need to take a moment for myself I hop on one of my bikes and blast out to the country. Twisty roads and rolling hills can fix almost any problem, at least for a little while. Smile

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21100 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
I can relate. When I rode I often experienced the same feelings. I was sidelined in 1989 by a bad m/c accident (car ran into me) and I haven't ridden since. I still love Harleys, though! Have to visit a dealer every so often to get a "sound fix".

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't ride but that sounds like a great way to spend a spring day. I've been out to a local lake/marina hiking some of the trails and it does wonders. It was such a beautiful day out there, I wished I had a kayak to get on the lake but they are only allowing owned kayaks and boats on the lake right now and not renting any like I've normally done.

Posts: 887 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: December 14, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
I’m ready to mob in the leathers once the rain stops. It’s rained pretty much all year and hasn’t stopped. Can’t wait to put the FX SVHO on the water too. Damn weather.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12622 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
I really miss riding bikes, especially the first time in the spring. Cagers don't smell the lilacs when they are in bloom, fresh cut grass, the smell of fresh bread at a bakery when riding by and the smoke coming from the BBQ joint just to name a few. One of life's simple pleasures for sure.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jimbo54:
I really miss riding bikes, especially the first time in the spring. Cagers don't smell the lilacs when they are in bloom, fresh cut grass, the smell of fresh bread at a bakery when riding by and the smoke coming from the BBQ joint just to name a few. One of life's simple pleasures for sure.

Jim

That's funny because I rode past a BBQ place and the smell was intoxicating.
Carry out only as the governor's order goes but it was wonderful.
Why didn't I stop? No bags on my bike so no way to carry anything.

I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I'm not.

Posts: 3652 | Location: The armpit of Ohio | Registered: August 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:
Glad you got some wind therapy.

T-storms here today but tomorrow looks promising for me to get in a ride.

Good to know, may have to try for the same.

Got out last weekend, just 1/2 hour, but the empty roads (45N) were nice.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15286 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
joatmonv thanks for posting your recount of what sounds like a wonderful Spring ride! There's nothing like helmet time to put things back in perspective.

No car is as much fun to drive, as any motorcycle is to ride.

Posts: 7081 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
There are things you get while riding that you just cannot experience in a car. For example the temperature change when rocketing through a farmers sun baked field then the cool sensation you feel wash over you when you drop into a nice wooded section that’s much cooler. It’s kinda like stepping into an air conditioned room. It’s a neat sensation.

There is really nothing quite like riding a motorcycle. It’s an addiction sure but it’s a good one to have.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Posts: 21100 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stickman428:
There are things you get while riding that you just cannot experience in a car. For example the temperature change when rocketing through a farmers sun baked field then the cool sensation you feel wash over you when you drop into a nice wooded section that’s much cooler. It’s kinda like stepping into an air conditioned room. It’s a neat sensation.

There is really nothing quite like riding a motorcycle. It’s an addiction sure but it’s a good one to have.

I'm finding this to be true, the more miles I get under my belt.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15286 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
I really wanted to take out the VFR today, but due to my early-morning procrastination I ran out of time.

Tomorrow, perhaps.

God bless America.

Posts: 13486 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mark60
posted Hide Post
I got mine out for the first time today. No work, no problems, no virus, it was very therapeutic.

Posts: 3448 | Location: God Awful New York | Registered: July 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
in the end karma
always catches up
posted Hide Post
I had the BMW out yesterday, just some errands but I took the long way!

" The people shall have a right to bear arms, for the defense of themselves and the State" Art 1 Sec 32 Indiana State Constitution

YAT-YAS

Posts: 3692 | Location: Northwest, In | Registered: December 03, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
Id love to be on my bike or behind the wheel and 4 on the floor of the Pontiac but it’s getting ugly up here.

The Governor and a State Police spokesman have already said that even with social distancing motorcycle riding is not considered essential.

Not to mention multiple risk factors I have, I’m really not comfortable going out in public at present.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8099 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bunch of savages
in this town
Picture of ASKSmith
posted Hide Post
I’ve been getting a lot of V-Max therapy lately. I have backroads right out my front door, and see very little traffic. Even took my wife for a ride yesterday. It is intoxicating and therapeutic.

Stay safe guys...

-----------------
I apologize now...

Posts: 10552 | Registered: December 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
I rolled the big BMW GS out of my garage last week when we had a nice day. This is my one bike that doesn’t have a battery tender quick connect attachment. I figured starting it every few weeks would maintain the battery. I was wrong.

Can you guess where BMW put the battery? Hmmm where would the least logical place be? Under the gas-tank? YES! That’s exactly where zee German designer decided to hide the battery. Big Grin

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

in the end karma
always catches up
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stickman428:
I rolled the big BMW GS out of my garage last week when we had a nice day. This is my one bike that doesn’t have a battery tender quick connect attachment. I figured starting it every few weeks would maintain the battery. I was wrong.

Can you guess where BMW put the battery? Hmmm where would the least logical place be? Under the gas-tank? YES! That’s exactly where zee German designer decided to hide the battery. Big Grin

Some of BMW’s ideas aren’t so great. It takes 20 mins to get to the battery on my R1100S, under the gas tank and you have to remove all the plastic first.

" The people shall have a right to bear arms, for the defense of themselves and the State" Art 1 Sec 32 Indiana State Constitution

YAT-YAS

Posts: 3692 | Location: Northwest, In | Registered: December 03, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post