SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Jet engine issue. How dangerous was this
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Jet engine issue. How dangerous was this Login/Join 
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Oldrider:

I say this with all due respect and sincerity. You're out of your mind to fly in a helicopter. Smile
Jet Aircraft

There, fixed it. (Well, sort of.. having diff with my edit foo.)

Posts: 11840 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leave the gun.
Take the cannoli.
posted Hide Post
quote:
I say this with all due respect and sincerity. You're out of your mind to fly in a jet aircraft. Smile

You’re right. I’ll take a train on my next trip to Europe Wink

Posts: 6634 | Location: New England | Registered: January 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knowing is Half the Battle
Picture of Scuba Steve Sig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
quote:
Sorry, 30 bucks doesnt cut it.

Because everyone on the plane is standing there alive, without injury, after a mechanical failure at 25,000 feet happens due to the crew acting properly flew and landing the plane safely is underrated.

This is a service industry and this wasn't an act of God like Sully saving everyone after the engines shredded some geese. This is either from the airline flying ancient airplanes, bad parts, or bad mechanics. $30 is a friggin' checked bag fee.

Posts: 2516 | Location: Iowa by way of Missouri | Registered: July 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
unfortunately thats what people are these days - nothing more than checked baggage

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53177 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
Gliders. Sailplanes. They are good; you never have to worry about engine failures or fuel management.
true, but you do have to worry about lift management. Smile

Posts: 6919 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sns3guppy:
The glider, of course, relies on an engine-powered airplane to get it to an altitude where it can begin to glide, with the exception of a motorglider, which relies on it's own engine.

Well, an external thrust source anyway. When I did the hops and checkride to remove the “Aero tow only” limitation from my commercial glider rating, I was towed aloft by a Chevy Suburban. There is something exhilarating about a rope break at 200’ and roughly 60 degrees nose up...

Posts: 6919 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nhtagmember:
unfortunately thats what people are these days - nothing more than checked baggage

Not true. Passengers are so much more.

They're self-loading freight.

quote:
Originally posted by Scuba Steve Sig:
This is either from the airline flying ancient airplanes, bad parts, or bad mechanics.

How could you possibly tell that?

New, well-maintained equipment fails, as well. It happens. The age of the airplane isn't particularly relevant. "Bad" parts are a rarity. There's nothing in the video to provide any indication as to the cause of failure. I'm an aircraft mechanic going on four decades...I couldn't tell you what the cause was without more information. What's your inside information?

quote:
Originally posted by slosig:

Well, an external thrust source anyway. When I did the hops and checkride to remove the “Aero tow only” limitation from my commercial glider rating, I was towed aloft by a Chevy Suburban. There is something exhilarating about a rope break at 200’ and roughly 60 degrees nose up...

That's true, and there are also winch launches. Each provides a power power to supply lift, airspeed, and altitude and impart energy to start the show. No free lunch.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Oldrider
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PD:
quote:
I say this with all due respect and sincerity. You're out of your mind to fly in a jet aircraft. Smile

You’re right. I’ll take a train on my next trip to Europe Wink

Ok, my apologies to those who have to travel by commercial airline for a livelihood.
I've been a passenger on military flights, and in-country helicopters. Those 'copters did me in. I do not want to get higher off the ground than cleaning the leaves out of my gutters.

Back to your regular programming.

Posts: 360 | Location: Outinthesticks | Registered: October 08, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post