SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    I need a suggestion on a tent purchase.
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I need a suggestion on a tent purchase. Login/Join 
posting without pants
Picture of KevinCW
posted
This will be most likely be used very seldomly, and only in warmer months.

I see the labels of 2 or 3 person, but those are pretty tiny and don't give much space at all.

Would prefer waterproof, and easy to set up.

Maybe something that could sleep 2 or 3 COMFORTABLY, not packed in like sardine.

Obviously, price IS a huge concern.

What say you?

Strive to live your life so when you wake up in the morning and your feet hit the floor, the devil says "Oh crap, he's up."

Posts: 33287 | Location: St. Louis MO | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live Slow,
Die Whenever
Picture of medic451
posted Hide Post
Is this for backpacking where weight is an issue, or will it be carried by car?

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."
- John Wayne in "The Shootist"

Posts: 3440 | Location: California | Registered: May 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My wife and I used a 6x6 4 man tent simple Coleman some tent for dozens of warm weather camping nights. Before kids. The 4 men are a joke as 3 are shoulder to shoulder and the 4th is along the feet and all your gear is outside. Perfect for 2 people. After kids came along we went to a 10x10 6 man tent, we sleep on the edge and kids in the middle, with duffle bags on the furthest edge against the tent wall. Again Coleman 3 season, mesh walls, plastic tarp material bottom. Weve been using that a few nights per summer since my son was born he's 9 now. I don't think I paid more than $50 for either one on sale at the local sports big box store. Coleman makes them from 4x4 to 6x6 to 7x7 to 8x8. Up to 12x12 I think. I'm not a fan of tents with internal rooms. Way too many poles and crap to assemble.

I prefer a simple 2 pole dome tent, can be put up easily by one person in the dark if necessary. And a rain fly over the top to cover the mesh walls for privacy

Growing up my dad had a lot of vacation time so we did a lot of car camping. I distinctly remember one night we got a late start from home and got to the mountains after dark. They had this ancient Coleman canvas tent that weighed about 60 pounds and required about 15 aluminum poles of varying lengths to be properly inserted here and there. And 2 preferably 3 or 4 adults to assemble. So it's now like 10-11 pm and my dad and mom are trying to assemble this POS by the headlights of the car and I think it was the first time I heard my mom curse. I was about 6. Anyway. Get a Coleman 3 season tent, will last plenty of nights.

Basically this with a square footprint. Size to your needs. Shops near me sale them for less Than this often
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004...gid=pla-362828128447

4 season tent with no mesh is another story

Posts: 4736 | Location: Florida Panhandle  | Registered: November 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Eureka Copper Canyon. 10x10 with a 7 foot ceiling. I just replaced one I got from my parents that they used for 32 years. I think it was about $275 on amazon.

Posts: 311 | Location: California | Registered: September 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posting without pants
Picture of KevinCW
posted Hide Post
Carried by car. Float trips or weekend camping. If an real lightweight one is reasonable I am interested... but I think the price will go up significantly.

Strive to live your life so when you wake up in the morning and your feet hit the floor, the devil says "Oh crap, he's up."

Posts: 33287 | Location: St. Louis MO | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posting without pants
Picture of KevinCW
posted Hide Post
Also, his would be used mostly in public camp grounds... so needs room for gear inside.

Cat Whisperer
Picture of cmr076
posted Hide Post
When you see 2 or 3 person, they mean stacked head to toe. We have a nemo 2 person for backpacking and while it packs small, it's very small inside (especially if I plan to kiss my SO goodnight). If I were to buy a tent that I'd be taking on "car camping trips" (meaning I park at or near my campsite) I would get a 4-5 person tent for 3 people. That way you can keep some gear in it.. boots, etc.

------------------------------------

├┼┼╕
246R

Posts: 3901 | Location: SE PA | Registered: November 13, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live Slow,
Die Whenever
Picture of medic451
posted Hide Post
I have a Kelty Salida 2 that I used for backpacking prior to going with lighter weight one man tents. It performed well and was the easiest tent ever to set up. They make a 4 man version as well that may interest you.

https://kelty.com/salida-4/

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."
- John Wayne in "The Shootist"

Posts: 3440 | Location: California | Registered: May 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posting without pants
Picture of KevinCW
posted Hide Post
I guess ideally it would be able to fit a queen size air mattress and gear. By gear two small bags and a cooler.

Picture of SR025
posted Hide Post
Not sure how tall you are but i have one I can stand up in (I'm 6'01"). Makes it way more comfortable. I'll take it out tomorrow and get the brand/model because I'm drawing a blank now.

Posts: 840 | Location: DFW | Registered: January 04, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cat Whisperer
Picture of cmr076
posted Hide Post
Queen size inflatable mattress, I'd reccomend at least a 6 person, probably larger. What's your budget? That'll help a lot. Car camping makes it a lot easier. We just got my brother in law a tent setup for him, his wife and their two small kids and it was inexpensive (I questioned if they'd use it.. they haven't yet)

------------------------------------

├┼┼╕
246R

Posts: 3901 | Location: SE PA | Registered: November 13, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posting without pants
Picture of KevinCW
posted Hide Post
As small of a budget as possible. This would be used 1 or 2 times a year, some years not at all.

The 300 tops I hope, but would prefer way less.

I am 5 10

posted Hide Post
No suggestions on which tent, here are a couple online places to look though.

Sierra Trading Post

Steep and Cheap

Posts: 425 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Get one with a rain fly.

Check Campmor's markdown section for good deals.

https://www.campmor.com/

Posts: 26852 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
My Quest Sundance is *about* 20 years old and cost $200+ when new. I bet it has been used 40-50 nights or so. Zippers, seams, fabric, fiberglass poles with elastic cord cores, everything works as new. Quest is out of business but when manufactured, it was supposedly made by one of the Big Two tent makers, in China. The tent went back to California once under warranty for an inspection of a zipper and came back expertly folded with the report the zipper was fine; not sure what the issue was.

From what I learned recently at the Army Navy Store, most 3-season tents will have a screened top with a fly over it. Without that it becomes a terrarium. Memorial Day weekend in Yellowstone it dropped to 33˚, and I had a lightweight poly/nylon wrap tied over the screen roof vent; the tent stayed cozy.

A 2.5 man tent is fairly livable for one person and their gear.

Glancing at the specs, the Eureka Copper Canyon 6 Tent - "6 Person" looks comfortable. This is the one referred by 4ftty4. Eureka also makes a "4" and an "8". "Full mesh roof allows circulation of air and reduces condensation" is a standard feature, according to amazon.

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Check local for sale ads. People spend small fortunes on camping equipment, use it once and decide to sell.

Posts: 7010 | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JPD217
posted Hide Post
I have a 4 person Eureka Timberline, modified A frame. Good solid tent that I consider a 1 person tent. I've used it hunting in temps down to about 15f with a buddy heater. I also have one of these, https://www.walmart.com/ip/Col...nt-Sleeps-6/15840118
I consider this a 2 person tent. If you are only going to use it a couple of times a year I think it would work for you. Shipped free to hour local store at about $120.

Posts: 2585 | Location: North Dakota | Registered: August 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi Kevin, I used to motorcycle on BMW and there were numerous rallies in your area where we tent camped. I particularly remember Rolla and Marble Hill. Canoeing is very similar regarding packing other than the cooler. The BMW rallies invariably sprouted a large field of Eureka Timberline 4 for two person accommodations because they worked well for the purpose. Many folks started out with other brands but most ended up with a Eureka. They aren't the lightest but far from the heaviest and hold up to the duty. Enough room for 2 and gear without being too crowded and packs down to a doable size. The quality and price are good. I would seriously check that model out. A vestibule will give you an attached, out of eyesight gear storage area but doesn't have a floor.

The “POLICE"
Their job Is To Save Your Ass,
Not Kiss It

The muzzle end of a .45 pretty much says "go away" in any language - Clint Smith

Posts: 2872 | Location: See der Rabbits, Iowa | Registered: June 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Blinded by
the Sun
Picture of GA Gator
posted Hide Post
I have had good experiences with tents from academy sports if they have a store in your area.

------------------------------
Smart is not something you are but something you get.

Chi Chi, get the yayo

Posts: 4784 | Location: Home | Registered: April 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
Yard sales. Often good as new!

Posts: 17871 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post