SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    I need a suggestion on a tent purchase.
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I need a suggestion on a tent purchase. Login/Join 
Picture of Perception
posted Hide Post
The offerings from REI are really hard to beat. Absolutely great tents. Base Camp models will probably be the most comfortable, but the Half Dome tents are pretty comfortable too, and somewhat smaller and lighter than the Base Camp models. If you have an REI nearby, they might even have some of them set up where you can look and compare.

"The people hate the lizards and the lizards rule the people."
"Odd," said Arthur, "I thought you said it was a democracy."
"I did," said Ford, "it is."
"So," said Arthur, hoping he wasn't sounding ridiculously obtuse, "why don't the people get rid of the lizards?"
"It honestly doesn't occur to them. They've all got the vote, so they all pretty much assume that the government they've voted in more or less approximates the government they want."
"You mean they actually vote for the lizards."
"Oh yes," said Ford with a shrug, "of course."
"But," said Arthur, going for the big one again, "why?"
"Because if they didn't vote for a lizard, then the wrong lizard might get in."

Posts: 3514 | Location: Two blocks from the Center of the Universe | Registered: December 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
Though I'd normally advocate a bigger REI offering, I agree with the above suggestion to grab one of the big and cheap ones from WalMart. $150 gets you a monster tent, another $50 on a big tarp, and you'd be set for the type and frequency you're describing.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I own approx 7 tents. I've camped in tents all my life from when we lived in a canvas tent and I was 10 years old over 50 years back. 3 words:

Coleman Instant tent. https://www.amazon.com/Coleman...-Cabin/dp/B01KHE3R4E

I have the 6 man, it's perfect for my wife and I and a dog, although I have slept 6 it in, if I routinely had 6, I'd get the 8 person version. It sets up in @ 60 seconds and packs up fairly quick too. You can spend a lot more (I have @$500 in a ultralight 2 person tent), but won't find a better deal in a car camping tent. Amazon lists it at $179 but I believe I got mine at Walmart for $160. I have an REI membership, and own an REI 4 person dome backpacking tent, but they generally are too much $$ and don't compete with Walmart in this market.

BTW, that Marmot suggestion above, I have found their kit to generally world class good across the board. BUT, you can get 2 of these tents for the price of the Marmot noted above.

Posts: 1920 | Location: Pacific Northwet | Registered: August 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cogito Ergo Sum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 4ftty4:
Eureka Copper Canyon. 10x10 with a 7 foot ceiling. I just replaced one I got from my parents that they used for 32 years. I think it was about $275 on amazon.

This is a great tent and has lots of room. If you can sleep on cots. Much warmer than an air mattress.

Posts: 5694 | Registered: August 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Middle children
of history
Picture of Brett B
posted Hide Post
If you want a tent that won't allow water inside and/or fold in on itself during a heavy and windy rain storm you generally want:

Aluminum poles instead of fiberglass
A full coverage seam-taped rain fly that extends to just above the ground height
More than 2 poles for a dome style/shape, 4-pole dome tents are much more sturdy in the wind
Multiple tie down and tension points for the fly around the perimeter (my Marmot has 10)

The REI Base Camp is another great choice that meets those needs but it's not as tall inside as the Marmot Limestone 6P and is currently priced much higher. I think the Limestone at $365 is a great deal. Kelty has some great options too that are typically around $200 but with fiberglass poles so they are a little less bomb proof which for your use should be fine.

Some of those Coleman tents are certainly good tents that are more affordable and quite roomy for families. If you don't foresee any real strong rainstorms then they could be a good choice. Realize that most tents without a full coverage rain fly will let water in under heavy conditions. That REI and the Marmot are likely overkill for your frequency of use, but it's nice to know that if some unexpected bad weather rolls in you won't end up with water inside.

Here is my Limestone 6P in action during a hog hunt in the southern Smoky Mountains. We got hit with a pretty big storm that night in fact and I was glad to have it.

-------------------------
SCAR forend upgrades:
www.regosys.com
www.instagram.com/regosystems/

Posts: 2597 | Location: Midwest | Registered: September 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posting without pants
Picture of KevinCW
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aeteocles:
I have the base camp 4 from REI as well, but you shouldn't spend that kind of money if you are only camping once or twice a year. The PU and Silicone coatings on the fabric do degrade over time, so it's not really a buy-once-cry-once type of investment...

If I were in your position, I would go with something like this:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d...09I1GDeJL&ref=plSrch

The single dome style is simplest to set up, and is completely free standing so you don't have to anchor out guy lines. The 6 person variant of the dome tent will give you you nearly 6 feet of standing height right in the middle of the tent.

Nicer and more expensive tents will give you aluminum poles, a rain fly that extends all the way down to the ground on all 4 sides and vestibule coverage for foul weather. Very expensive tents will also give you 4 or 6 poles, instead of just 2, to accomplish a geodesic dome. Geodesic domes are very strong and would be what you would use on an expedition expecting heavy snow and wind... But all these features are overkill for fair to moderate weather camping where the worse case scenario is you just get back in the car.

Save your money on the tent and buy a quality camping mattress. Remember: your mattress is part of your insulation system, and you'll need to do something to keep heat from escaping through the mattress into the ground and surrounding air. I prefer insulated individual mattresses (one person getting up in the middle of the night doesn't disturb the other), but adding a sleeping bag under you or foam pad under the mattress will provide insulation.

Looking at the reviews, and prices, of all the suggestions (and thanks for those, please keep them coming) This looks like a good jack of all trades.

I may have overestimated my usage, as there is really ONE camping trip that happens every year, and that is a summer float trip in July/Aug.

Now, for those who don't live in this area where "float trips" are a thing... It is a St. Louis or even a Missouri thing.

You drive an hour or two outside of the urban areas on a Friday night, set up camp about 5/6pm, and then get shitfaced after setting up camp. (usually with a group of 10 to 30 people)

You wake up Sat, eat breakfast, and start partying again. Then you float down the river about 10 miles on canoes or raftes (taking a bus upsteam so you end up back at camp at the end of it). THen you eat dinner and party until everyone hits bed.

Then you pack camp Sunday morning and drive home, a hollow shell of yourself (especially at this age).

So this tent would be used at least once per year for this purpose.

Now, I would LIKE to have other options, such as a weekend trip to other campgrounds were have around here (swimming holes, beaches, and the like) These would all be campsites right next to your car. This would all happen late spring through summer and MAYBE early fall. Like not past Oc1 15th, mostly not past Sept 15th.

The biggest potential dangers are either Thunderstorms, or torrential rains leading to river flooding (the floats are held on smaller rivers, which can vary rapidly in volume and depth from inches in places, to 40 feet after a weekend of torrential rains, and can rise RAPIDLY.

Worst case scenario, is you pack important gear back in the car, and say screw the tent as you evacuate. Most likely, is a thunderstorm with hard rain fora few hours and hope you don't get soaked.

I would however, like to have the option of more impromptu camping, although similar circumstances.

In the past, staying in tents with other people, my biggest gripe has been heat, not cold. I can always insulate and bring blankets or sleeping bags. It is much harder to get air to circulate or get cooler.

If that changes anything.

Strive to live your life so when you wake up in the morning and your feet hit the floor, the devil says "Oh crap, he's up."

Posts: 33287 | Location: St. Louis MO | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yokel
Picture of ontmark
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KevinCW:

In the past, staying in tents with other people, my biggest gripe has been heat, not cold. I can always insulate and bring blankets or sleeping bags. It is much harder to get air to circulate or get cooler.

If that changes anything.

For the cold get a good semi- mummy bag, Change into new sleeping shorts and nothing else when you get into the bag. The dampness in the air or from the sweat if it is humid will keep you cold all night long if you don’t change into clean dry clothes at bed time.

For the hot weather. Look for a tent with lots of windows and a screen opening at the top. It will need a rain fly easy to put on if weather turns nasty. Easy especially after partying.

If your sleeping bag is to warm open it all the way up and use it for a top cover only. Make sure you have a comfortable pad under you that allows breathing.

Stay away from the blow up matters in hot weather. They let your body sink into it and sweat. Look for a foam pad. Even those egg crate looking cheap foam pads are not bad in hot weather.

Beware the man who only has one gun. He probably knows how to use it! - John Steinbeck

Posts: 3878 | Location: Vallejo, CA | Registered: August 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
We have an old Coleman Sundome 4 man. Very comfortably fits a queen air mattress and gear. Very easy up and down. It's not professional grade but it's plenty for the weekend warrior.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10487 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
I have not read through the suggestions but look at the Kodiak tent. Great tents. Not the cheapest, but would be a great tent for your intended purpose and with proper care would last for years and years. Good for you guys getting the family out.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19186 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
quote:

Agreed. I tents that are mostly mesh and then a rainfly. If it's nice out leave the fly off and enjoy the ventilation.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16399 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Assault Accountant
Picture of 12GA
posted Hide Post
I just spent 3 nights in this Ozark Trails tent that I bought at Walmart for $80. It's 16' x 8' and advertised as an 8 man but fits 3 regular sized men, some gear and their cots comfortably. Rained like hell for two days and was completely dry inside.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: 12GA,

Posts: 2583 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: July 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SOTAR
posted Hide Post
Kelty Yellowstone 6 $150
http://www.sierratradingpost.c...28%2Fkelty~b~1105%2F

Easy Set up! Lots of room. I'm happy with mine.

Kelty Yellowstone 4 for $100

Check out Campmor, sierra trading post or another discount online retailer

Posts: 1037 | Location: portland, OR | Registered: October 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green Mountain Boy
Picture of Jus228
posted Hide Post
I use cheap Walmart tent for the camping I do a couple weekends a year. I have one that will fit 2 queen air mattresses and is 6' tall so I can walk in and have room for duffle bag and to set up my mattress with room to spare. Cost me $60 I think.

Ah Ozark trail that's the name, reply few before me has one too ^^^. I've had two of them and no complaints. My old one is still fine and has been through rain storms and kept me dry, my new one is simply for the extra room.

!~God Bless the U.S. Military~!

If the world didn't suck, we'd all fall off

Light travels faster than sound, this is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak

Posts: 5563 | Location: Vermont | Registered: March 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
"Ozark" Maybe they have the "Deliverance" model. Now that would be the one to buy Wink

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19186 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of iron chef
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Oz_Shadow:
Yard sales. Often good as new!

Yep! Smile
I got a ~$170 REI Halfdome tent at a yard sale for $5. Looked like it had been used once.

CL-sporting goods is worth checking.

Posts: 3186 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of aguilar64
posted Hide Post
I don't meant to hijack this thread, but I have a tent that I put away while was still damp and got some mold on it, if I take it to a laundry mat, will the washing machine destroy the tent? If the answer is yes I guess I'll buy a new ono.
Thanks

“When the law disarms good guys, bad guys rejoice.”
― Ted Nugent

Posts: 2209 | Location: North East | Registered: November 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by aguilar64:
I don't meant to hijack this thread, but I have a tent that I put away while was still damp and got some mold on it, if I take it to a laundry mat, will the washing machine destroy the tent? If the answer is yes I guess I'll buy a new ono.
Thanks

Yes.

The washing machine will destroy the tent.

Set the tent up out in the sun, and scrub with soapy water.

Do not scrub the underside of the tent fly. That's where the Polyurethane coating lives. Be gentle with it.

The mildew smell can be treated with an enzyme based cleaner like Nature's Miracle or Mirazyme.

Posts: 13048 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Kevin, This is bigger than what you need, but it is an awesome tent for two plus and a dog. Coleman Instant Tent

There is a six person version that is about $160.

Posts: 1854 | Location: Colorado | Registered: October 31, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SOTAR:
Kelty Yellowstone 6 $150
http://www.sierratradingpost.c...28%2Fkelty~b~1105%2F

Easy Set up! Lots of room. I'm happy with mine.

Kelty Yellowstone 4 for $100

Check out Campmor, sierra trading post or another discount online retailer

This Kelty looks really solid for the price.

Posts: 13048 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
hello darkness
my old friend
Picture of gw3971
posted Hide Post
https://www.amazon.com/Coleman...coleman+instant+tent

As others have said Coleman instant tent. I bought one a couple of years ago and have loved it. Sets up in minutes. Watch the video on setting it up. It's been great! I do recommend the rainfly as an add on. i have the 6 person and i don't have to crawl in and I can stand up(bad knees) inside. me, my girl friend and my GSD easily fit inside.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: gw3971,

Posts: 7724 | Location: West Jordan, Utah | Registered: June 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post