SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    A big thank you to the UHP Trooper who took out the wrong way driver on I-215 this morning
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A big thank you to the UHP Trooper who took out the wrong way driver on I-215 this morning Login/Join 
Nature is full of
magnificent creatures
posted
A Utah UHP patrol trooper was injured this morning when he used his vehicle to stop a wrong way drunk driver on I215. He received minor injuries in the process.

https://www.ksl.com/article/46...ted-on-i-15-uhp-says

To the Utah Highway Patrol trooper who stopped this drunk driver, and LEOs across our Country who do this everyday, a big THANK YOU from my family to yours. My family was home safe while you were out protecting everyone. Your work is important, and we pray for you everyday.

I understand LEOs are professionals trained to use the PIT manuever when necessary. Videos in the media make this look simple, but I suspect in practice there is always an unknown risk of injury for the LEO.

This is probably the 4th or 5th time a UHP trooper has done this in the last 12 months on Utah roads. Every time they do this, I believe they save lives. A few other times this happened, when LEOs were not around to get involved, the wrong way drunk driving resulted in the deaths of people in other vehicles.

Posts: 6273 | Registered: March 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Police continually amaze and impress. They don't get all of it though. My (only) son was on the freeway coming to visit not long back. With only 400 miles to go some drunk got on the freeway heading the wrong direction. Son had an older car, air bad didn't work (trouble light was on). Son was putzing along in the left (slow) lane, he said it appeared the drunk went by at least 70-75 mph. He immediately pulled over and called the police.

The closest officer wasn't far away and stepped to, but was sadly to late, the next car coming along in the fast lane got head-ond and it was fatal.

I've counted my blessings so many times since.

Posts: 1920 | Location: Pacific Northwet | Registered: August 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
A few short years ago, LEOs were prohibited from doing this due to incredible awards in civil suits. The PIT maneuver wasn't even taught. We would terminate pursuit or follow and watch the carnage. Air support is usually not immediately available. I was issued Mustangs so outrunning me wasn't going to happen.

Either way, civil suits are bound to occur. The loss of a patrol vehicle is acceptable to stop the DUI or wrong way. Unfortunately, the officers are frequently facing long term medical leave if not forced retirement.

The AZ Department of Transportation is experimenting with expensive technology to alert their 24/7 staffed central station that a wrong way driver is on a roadway (it's very limited in application so far). It supplements the extensive ADOT camera system on metro freeways. Then they light up their digital signage and alert AZ DPS. Problem is there's hundreds of more freeway miles than there are officers to respond.

FWIW, AZ DPS was recently notified of a pending law suit for $20,000,000 for a pursuit of a bank robber who intentionally went head on into another driver, killing both. The law suit claims the pursuit wasn't necessary.

Damned if you do and damned if you don't...

Beware of a man whose only pistol is a 1911, he's probably very good with it.

Posts: 11194 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
I visit SLC about 4 times and year and that darn I-215 is a racetrack. I have been bumper to bumper going over 90 MPH. It's either go fast or get run over.

That is a brave trooper.

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4224 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post