SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Cocktail Bitters - Which Brand?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cocktail Bitters - Which Brand? Login/Join 
posted
At the risk of starting another bad habit, I'm looking into drink mixology. Who do you guys like for bitters? I've seen offerings from various companies with different types included and I'm inclined to go with the variety pack approach, but who makes good quality stuff? Thanks.

...that I will support
and defend...

Posts: 870 | Location: Northern VA | Registered: July 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
Angostura

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6373 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
Angostura is ok, but if you want something truly good, you want to try Bitters Lab.

After that, I would recommend Scrappy's Bitters.

Both are fantastic.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30299 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
If you're a traditionalist you should always have Angostura and Peychaud's on hand for an Old Fashioned/Manhattan and Sazerac, respectively.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10474 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Fee Brothers, Scrappy's, and the old standby Angostura and Peychaud's are a good place to start. A little go a long way so really consider what you're getting in the multipacks and how and if you're going to use some of them. I'd rather buy them by the bottle and get what I'll use instead of buying a variety pack with a bunch of stuff I'll never touch.

Posts: 4273 | Location: Peoples Republic of Berkeley | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Understand about the risk of ending up with a bottle of something I don't like...but I literally do not know what I like/don't like. We took our son to dinner for his 25th birthday and I tried a sip of his cocktail. It was good...no clue what the drink was. Part of the fun will be the experimentation so I'm willing to take that risk.

Thanks for all the reccos everyone.

...that I will support
and defend...

Posts: 870 | Location: Northern VA | Registered: July 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
I've been enjoying Woodford Reserve® Aromatic Bitters

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23102 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CoolRich59:
Angostura

For regular bitters this is what I use.

But for flavored bitters I find Woodford Reserve bitters to be my favorite. I particularly Like their chocolate bitters paired with a dark rye for a sweeter old fashioned.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15249 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We received a kit from these guys as a gift if you're into the whole DIY thing. We have not played with it yet, though.
https://highdesertbotanicals.com/bitters-kits

Posts: 343 | Location: Atco, NJ | Registered: April 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Angostura and Peychauds are the old standbys.

Peychauds is more fruity, tart, and with licoricey flavors. It is bitter, but less so. They are de rigeur in a Sazerac.

Angostura is more woody and spicy (not pepper spicy, but baking spices), with some sweetness, and more bitter. The classic application is a Manhattan.

There are many others with different flavors.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53118 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
Not bitters but I started using Punt e Mes sweet vermouth in my Manhattans and other similar drinks. It has a very unique flavor, no need for bitters

Posts: 5302 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post