SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Transistor identification
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Transistor identification Login/Join 
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted
I have a transistor that I can't seem to identify. It works as a PNP in a circuit and the only markings I see on it are stamped on the top.

Google doesn't show a transistor with that designation and usually they start with 2N, not 2A. My best guess is that it's a 2N404A but I'm just not certain.

Is there another way to identify it?

Posts: 45373 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted Hide Post
Is that a TO-5/11/18 can with polarity marker stud?
Usually they are printed/marked on the side of the barrel.

I just looked through my old ECG, NTE, and SK catalogs and didn't find anything close.

NRA Benefactor
I lost all my weapons in a boating, umm, accident.
http://www.aufamily.com/forums/

Posts: 6212 | Location: Headland, AL | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stoic-one:
Is that a TO-5/11/18 can with polarity marker stud?
Usually they are printed/marked on the side of the barrel.

I just looked through my old ECG, NTE, and SK catalogs and didn't find anything close.
Every other transistor has an inked designation in the side of the can. This is the only odd ball.

Posts: 45373 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BDA220
posted Hide Post
What is it in? I would guess it is a "house number", probably some special selection.

"Strange days have found us, strange days have tracked us down." JM

Posts: 807 | Location: Pacific NW | Registered: September 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BDA220:
What is it in? ...
A plastic baggie. Big Grin

Picture of Ozarkwoods
posted Hide Post
Mark123 do you do circuit board work?

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 4834 | Location: SWMO | Registered: October 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ozarkwoods:
Yes. It's my main hobby.

Normally, I'd just toss an unmarked component but these germanium transistors can be $12.

Yew got a spider
on yo head
Picture of DoctorSolo
posted Hide Post
Probably old/obsolete.

It's got a 2 in there, so probably two-junction- Could be a FET or BJT. You would need to stick it on a curve tracer to characterize it. There's probably an old fart on here who knows how to guess it with the diode setting on a good meter. I don't.

Posts: 5131 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: April 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ozarkwoods
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mark123:
quote:
Yes. It's my main hobby.

Normally, I'd just toss an unmarked component but these germanium transistors can be $12.

I have a control board that is not working properly. I think it might be a transistor issue. If you want to know more or think you could help I would be willing to work out something. If you want to email me my email is in my profile. Thanks

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 4834 | Location: SWMO | Registered: October 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
Yes. It's my main hobby.

I have a control board that is not working properly. I think it might be a transistor issue. If you want to know more or think you could help I would be willing to work out something. If you want to email me my email is in my profile. Thanks

I'll email you.

Picture of Ozarkwoods
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
Yes. It's my main hobby.

I'll email you.

Sounds good

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
Yes. It's my main hobby.

I'll email you.

Sounds good
Sent last night from my business email. Forgot to switch it over to my SIGforum account.