SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    I Broke My Neck Three Weeks Ago And Got REALLY Lucky.
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I Broke My Neck Three Weeks Ago And Got REALLY Lucky. Login/Join 
posted
Three weeks ago I was getting ready to go to work. I went to go downstairs to get some snacks and at the top landing I rolled an ankle and took the express route down. Face first, and ran into the wall at the bottom with the top of my head. My wife was in Hawaii so I was home alone. My cell phone was upstairs so I couldn't call 911. I was hurting like I'd never been hurt before FYI. I looked at the clock and it was 4:00 AM when I started the trek ( 10 stairs FYI Big Grin ) back up. I had to crawl to the top of the stairs to get my phone. When I got to the top it was 5:30 AM. Yeah, a really fun climb. I couldn't find my cell phone when I "reached the summit". FUCK. I drug my ass out to my car and drove myself to the ER. All went well after I got to the ER. I know, I should have crawled to a neighbor but that thought didn't enter my mind (shock?). I was able to contact my son upon arrival at the ER, who hauled ass to be with me, and my wife. She wanted to fly home that night but I insisted that she stay there last 3 days with the grand kids. FYI, 0 numbness then or since.

Injuries ended up being a dislocated c1 and a badly fractured c2. Googling it, that is a bad spinal injury and I was LUCKY as hell. Usually paralysis or death.

This neck collar is driving me crazy and at the same time feels really good relieving pressure on the neck. The docs are thinking the collar will be gone next week.

Dang glad to feel the pain right now but I want it over with.

That is all.

Posts: 7523 | Registered: October 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of craigcpa
posted Hide Post
Man, that bytes!

==========================================
Just my 2¢

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right ♫♫♫

Posts: 7731 | Location: Raleighwood | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Holy crap, I guess so.

Glad you're healing.

Posts: 11744 | Location: Western Oklahoma | Registered: June 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alienator
Picture of SIG4EVA
posted Hide Post
Thank God you are alive! I'm really happy to hear it wasn't any worse than that.

SIG556 Classic
P220 Carry SAS Gen 2 SAO
SP2022 9mm German Triple Serial
P938 SAS
P365 FDE

Psalm 118:24 "This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it"

Posts: 7057 | Location: NC | Registered: March 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of DrDan
posted Hide Post
Holy smokes! I am glad you weren't hurt worse than you were, but that still sounds terrible. Wishing you the best in your recovery.

This space intentionally left blank.

Posts: 4870 | Location: Florida | Registered: August 16, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Center mass,
Armpit level...

Picture of greekfed
posted Hide Post
Hope you have a complete recovery!

Posts: 3154 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: August 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mensch
Picture of kz1000
posted Hide Post
Glad you're OK. I had this image from your description:

------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Yidn, shreibt un fershreibt"

"The Nazis entered this war under the rather childish delusion that they were going to bomb everyone else, and nobody was going to bomb them. At Rotterdam, London, Warsaw and half a hundred other places, they put their rather naive theory into operation. They sowed the wind, and now they are going to reap the whirlwind."
-Bomber Harris

Posts: 16119 | Location: Ivorydale | Registered: January 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
Prayers for healing B. Hope for a full and complete recovery. Glad it was not worse, albeit, bad enough! Keep us posted on your recovery.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19111 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
chickenshit
Picture of rsbolo
posted Hide Post
YOU SIR ARE BLESSED!

Posts: 8000 | Location: East Central FL | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
Smile

(Hope you don't mind the humor)

But seriously, that could've been life altering. Thank god it wasn't worse. I think your guardian angel had your back there. God bless.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30297 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Sounds like you had the dreaded internal decapitation, from the description. Eek WOW! God decided not to call you home, yet.

Q

Posts: 26203 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
Sounds like you had the dreaded internal decapitation, from the description. Eek WOW! God decided not to call you home, yet.

Everything I've read and my Drs told me was this should have ended up bad, really bad. Not sure why I'm typing here. I swear, it could have been shock, but I saw my parents (both deceased) calling me up the stairs and to my car. Nobody believes me but it happened and that is what I saw. Pretty spiritual for me.

Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
Congrats for making it out alive and wishing you a speedy recovery.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16612 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
(Hope you don't mind the humor)

Alan, of all the things I mind, humor aint one of them. A laugh is good medicine.

Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
Holy shit, that must have been the longest 1 1/2 hrs in your life while climbing those stairs. It wasn't the smartest decision to drive yourself to the ER though. If you'd gotten rear ended you'd have been a goner. Guardian Angel indeed.

I hope you heal quickly and fully.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of UTsig
posted Hide Post
That's some story, you truly were very lucky.

I broke my neck in a car accident 7 years ago. The Dr told me I was within millimeters of paralysis or worse. I was in a brace for 4 months!

"Nature scares me" a quote by my friend Bob after a rough day at sea.

Posts: 3388 | Location: Utah's Dixie | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the well wishes from the forum. I've sat on this for a couple of weeks and I just needed to share today. There are members way worse off than myself so please send your prayers and good thoughts their way. I am in a pretty dang good position now.

7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
I hope you heel up well Bytes and are young enough that it doesnt bother you again 'till you get old. That said, being ill late one evening, I thought to use a down stairs bathroom so as not to wake people. I made it out to the top landing where I sat down due to the sick feeling and cold sweat. I blacked out and tumbled from a sitting position down to the 1st floor. Never felt a thing till I came to. Broken toe in wrought iron railing, fractured ribs and serious bumps on my noggin. Next few days I was a hurting unit. Consider myself lucky. I cannot stress enough how careful we need to be in the day to day movements we make. Pain is not good. Hope you heed this and safely, get feeling better.

Posts: 17891 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Best wishes for a full recovery!
And now I am looking at my own staircase with dread!

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16004 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not easy being me
posted Hide Post
Wow, Bytes! Eek

I'm glad you're mending! And especially glad that you were given the opportunity to mend!!

Posts: 2769 | Location: Middle TN | Registered: March 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post