SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Now This is Cool - Light Machine Gun
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Now This is Cool - Light Machine Gun Login/Join 
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted

Posts: 53164 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
Very cool. I’d be interested in how it works compared to an M60 or M240.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11269 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
That’s quite cool. I’d like to see the engineering behind the lightened bolt and carrier.

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum: You must have your pants custom tailored to fit your massive balls.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4025 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
See the discussion here https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...0601935/m/3890077654 if you want more info on the internal mechanisms, from a couple more in-depth videos.

Posts: 32490 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
That would be a nice piece to find under my Christmas tree!

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6311 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You don’t fix faith,
River. It fixes you.

Picture of Yanert98
posted Hide Post
WOW!! I want one!!

----------------------------------
"If you are not prepared to use force to defend civilization, then be prepared to accept barbarism.." - Thomas Sowell

Posts: 2673 | Location: Migrating with the Seasons | Registered: September 26, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I watched the first video and that thing is super impressive. Can the minimal recoil technology be designed into other non automatic weapons.

Posts: 3904 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1s1k:
Can the minimal recoil technology be designed into other non automatic weapons.

It primarily has an effect on sustained automatic firing strings.

Basically, if you fire a 10 round burst, instead of feeling 10 quick recoil impulse "shoves" that jostle around individually, it feels more like one constant push. This helps automatic firing be potentially more stable/accurate, as you can more easily brace against a longer constant impulse than against multiple shorter individual impulses that each quickly peak and ebb throughout the string of fire.

But rounds fired singly, as with semiauto firing, would not really benefit from this change in impulse, since there are no immediately subsequent recoil impulses to combine into one constant impulse.

There's a video in the other thread with Ian McCollum firing one at the range and explaining how it works/feels.

Posts: 32490 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Web Clavin Extraordinaire
Picture of Oat_Action_Man
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1s1k:
I watched the first video and that thing is super impressive. Can the minimal recoil technology be designed into other non automatic weapons.

You might look into the AN-94 and AK-12 rifles, which both use various forms of counter moving mass to reduce recoil. The AK-12 is most effective at recoil mitigation in FA, but if you count the AN-94s method of delaying recoil until a 2 round burst has been fired, that might sorta-kinda take the place of semi-auto fire.

Larry Vickers has some good videos on these two rifles. Gun Jesus might also have some. I know there's a Garand Thumb video on the AK-12, but I never watched it, and I know he never gets too technical about the operation of guns.

----------------------------

Chuck Norris put the laughter in "manslaughter"

Educating the youth of America, one declension at a time.

Posts: 19837 | Location: SE PA | Registered: January 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post