SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Anyone else think we should be done "talking" with N. Korea?
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone else think we should be done "talking" with N. Korea? Login/Join 
posted
Frankly, the more we "talk" the more it seems just like more propaganda from our side.

I am not a war monger but I think NK will likely only respond to force.

Thoughts??

P

"Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe to assure the survival and the success of liberty."

John F. Kennedy

Posts: 169 | Registered: April 22, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
Maybe. What's the diff? As long as they do nothing why must we do something?

"To jaw-jaw is always better than to war-war."
-- Winston Churchill

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now in Florida
Picture of ChicagoSigMan
posted Hide Post
There really are no good answers. It's easy for us to say we're done talking when it's the millions of people in Seoul who will have to pay the price for action.

Posts: 6063 | Location: FL | Registered: March 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Agree with your thoughts. Maybe a better questions is are we OK with NK continuing to fire missiles over our allies? When do we start taking the threat seriously? When something is headed our way? They are not standing still.

I guess we could always wait until they can hit us then decide it is time to talk more??

"Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe to assure the survival and the success of liberty."

John F. Kennedy

Posts: 169 | Registered: April 22, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We really can't take a first strike action with Seoul SK so close to the border and Lil kim all lined up with his military. The nukes he has aren't really a threat as he understands any real action on his part results in his country being fried and melted. I think we are stuck with his constant mouth.

Posts: 1753 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: August 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Unfortunately anything done will only result in a lose/lose situation ~ politically.

Wait until they do something to someone ~ he didn't act soon enough.
Act preemptively then he is a monger.
THEN we have to PAY for the whole mess rebuilding etc.

No good choices here.

Posts: 22898 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Even without using nukes, he could kill millions of people within the first few minutes. The 4th largest city in the world is 30 miles from the border. It has 3 1/2 times the population of NYC within artillery and conventional rocket range.

If he has tunneled under the border and can set off any type of nuke, the damage goes up tremendously. If he has any sort of missile with nuclear capability, that goes up even more. He doesn't need an ICBM and a hydrogen bomb although that would make it even worse.

Could that eventually happen anyway? Yes but all other options have to be tried first. This is not an easy problem otherwise it would already be handled.

Posts: 9495 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No good answer. I think that calling him out as a fucktard is the best short term solution. I do not think we can strike first in any case, but if he does attack us our our buddies, we reply in kind but with 100 times the vigor.

Posts: 1795 | Location: Spokane, WA | Registered: June 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
When someone attacks you, you are fully expected to respond with any and all force

When someone is supporting those that are directly attacking you and providing the means to do so, you have motivation to attack, but it will not be received well by many and is a rocky road.

Attacking someone who has only threatened and has questionable ability to really strike, is a really dangerous line to cross.

Striking NORK could send a really bad message around the world. To some we're a savior, to many we're just a bully.

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37950 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
The South Koreans should install barbecue pits on their side of the DMZ and smoke briskets whenever the wind is out of the south. In six weeks the people of North Korea would overthrow their cruel leader because of their shitty groceries, and peace would reign supreme.

Posts: 26895 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
Local online poll. Nashville TN.

~2 to 1 in favor of Trumps position, likely not what they were expecting, yet they still noted the results on air during their news broadcast just now.

If interested in voting...
http://wkrn.com/2017/09/19/pol...on-north-korea-wise/

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4128 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of MG34_Dan
posted Hide Post
Who are we kidding? China must do something to quiet this a$$wipe. China will never stand for US troops close to their border.

“Elections have consequences, and at the end of the day, I won.”
– Barack Hussein Obama, January 23, 2009

Posts: 2191 | Location: Austin Texas USA | Registered: February 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of side_shot
posted Hide Post
i would bet once kim lets his army out of the country they will defect in mass numbers

"They that can give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
--Benjamin Franklin, 1759--

Special Edition - Reverse TT 229ST.Sig Logo'd CTC Grips., Bedair guide rod

Posts: 1245 | Location: New Hampshire "Live Free or Die"  | Registered: September 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
Unless China steps in to topple the little bastard we will eventually end up in a shooting war there, and it will be ugly. I think the N. Korean leadership is a house of cards. Kim and his father before him have killed everyone who dared to disagree with them so all that is left are yes men. He believes his own propaganda because no one will tell him he is full of crap. To me the best outcome would be for thinking generals internally to stage a coup and shoot the little asshole in the head. I am keeping my fingers crossed.

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4358 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Nothing will happen and this will continue to fester

Posts: 107512 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
Delay until we've had time to replenish our abandoned supply of tacnukes.

And until the satellite killers positioned by the x37B are ready to take out the two EMP delivery satellites Lil Kim has in orbit.

Posts: 15887 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
The only way to stop NK without using force will be to make China to do it. That won't happen though because our economic ties are too deep.

I'm not worried about NK (or Iran for that matter) shooting a nuke at us or our allies. They both are not that stupid. What I am afraid of though is NK or Iran giving a nuclear device to someone who will use it against us. I believe they both would gladly give one to a terrorist organization and let them try to nuke us or Israel.

For that reason NK and Iran need to be de-nuclearized.

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
non ducor, duco
Picture of Nickelsig229
posted Hide Post
I see it as Trump teasing the 'rocket man' trying to get him to flinch first. I think Trump should increase the rhetoric like a kid on the playground teasing another until he punches the bully out of frustration. It's the old, "punch me first, I dare you" routine.

Then we can lay down the law.

First In Last Out

Posts: 4789 | Location: CT | Registered: October 15, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spectemur Agendo
Picture of brecaidra
posted Hide Post
"North Korea: Why the West freaks out but South Korea doesn’t"

https://www.lowyinstitute.org/...-alarmed-south-korea

SIGforum's triple minority

"It can't rain all the time." - Eric Draven

Posts: 16993 | Location: IA | Registered: May 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Irksome Whirling Dervish
Picture of Flashlightboy
posted Hide Post
Not a single thing will happen if present things continue to occur.

Rocket Man is using Iran as his model since we blustered and pounded the world's lectern but in the end, Iran kept the nuke technology and we allow it to be developed at faster pace.

Rocket Man (love that BTW) has a great supporting cast in China and Russia which knows that it will not support his overthrow if it means new leadership more friendly to the US. A similar replacement that's not so nuts would work but then S. Korea will be uneasy with a hostile country's weapons still aimed at them and a new leader will be nearly the same as the old leader.

No good answers here but putting pressure on China is the best non-shooting way to make a change. What the US ought to do is find a way, once Rocket Man is gone, to spread the word about how good life is in S. Korea and hope some seeds of doubt about communism are planted and grow.

Posts: 4076 | Location: "You can't just go to Walmart with a gift card and get a new brother." Janice Serrano | Registered: May 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post