SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Finally Bought A New Mower, Winner: Honda HRX217
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Finally Bought A New Mower, Winner: Honda HRX217 Login/Join 
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted
WOW, all you guys recommending the Honda HRX217 mower, you were spot on!

This thing is amazing, quiet, powerful, easy to maneuver, cuts the grass like a laser and just a total joy to use.

I got the Hydrostatic model and after a bit of a learning curve, I learned how to operate all the controls and it’s quite easily the best mower I’ve ever used by far. The feature where I can leave the thing running while moving a toy or stick out of the way is great.

Is there anything I need to know about sharpening the blades on this thing? It’s my understanding that the blades are lighter and thinner than your typical lawnmower blade because they spin at a much higher RPM and cut differently?

I also plan to only use non ethanol gas in this mower, I just don’t trust the regular stuff and the mower shop I bought it from advised that as well.

Posts: 33605 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Blades are cheap I just replace them every now and then. The blade stop (or whatever it's called) feature rocks! You'll be surprised to find even years later, it will start with one effortless pull.

Enjoy your new machine!

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20756 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of aileron
posted Hide Post
Same model as mine! I have two sets of blades and run one set while I sharpen the other pair at my leisure.

Posts: 1472 | Location: Montana - bear country | Registered: March 20, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
It’s my understanding that the blades are lighter and thinner than your typical lawnmower blade because they spin at a much higher RPM and cut differently?

Going off memory, the govt mandates a maximum blade tip speed of 19,000 feet per minute.

So your run of the mil Honda has to comply with the same safety laws that Toro, Troy Bilt, and everyone else has to comply with. So no, your blades are not going faster.

Yes, you can adjust your engine to go faster. I always bump the RPM up 100-200 rpm on any mower of mine for more power and better cut. Google Honda GCV governor adjust and find a youtube video on how.

Posts: 6660 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I run trains!
Picture of SigM4
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by aileron:
Same model as mine! I have two sets of blades and run one set while I sharpen the other pair at my leisure.

Same here. A flap disc on an angle grinder makes quick work of sharpening them.

Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

Complacency sucks…

Posts: 5423 | Location: Wichita, KS (for now)…always a Texan… | Registered: April 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
Eight bills for a push mower? Holy Cow! It better be nice and be able to cook breakfast

Posts: 5302 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BigSwede:
Eight bills for a push mower?

I'm not seeing $800... Honda HR family mowers are usually $300-$600. If he paid $800, me must have gotten the fanciest one with all the bells and whistles.

Besides when you think about it, $300-$600 for a mower that will last decades is a pretty good investment.

Posts: 32428 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I run trains!
Picture of SigM4
posted Hide Post
quote:
Besides when you think about it, $300-$600 for a mower that will last decades is a pretty good investment

No joke. I bought mine in 2013 and in the time since I’ve changed the spark plug once and the air filter twice. Along with changing oil every other year.

Outside of normal blade sharpening it’s been flawless. Still starts on the first pull every time.

Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

Complacency sucks…

Posts: 5423 | Location: Wichita, KS (for now)…always a Texan… | Registered: April 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Congrats and great choice PASig!

I also have two sets of blades to rotate between cutting and sharpening.

The ‘Clip Director’ is a very nice and practical feature. If I am mulching longer grass that often leaves too much visible cut grass on the lawn, I can open up the chute as appropriate to bag some of it.

Mine is 14 years old and performs as new!

Posts: 3466 | Location: Lehigh Valley, PA | Registered: March 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of craigcpa
posted Hide Post
Pics of it didn’t happen!

==========================================
Just my 2¢

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right ♫♫♫

Posts: 7731 | Location: Raleighwood | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by craigcpa:
Pics of it didn’t happen!

With protection. Wink

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20756 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
It needs a name. Go ahead, give it a name.

I recommend Fenry.

You know Fenry.

Fenry Honda, the famous actor.

(Ok it's a groaner. Feel free to throw rotten tomatos at me, that's fine.)

Laughter is good for you.

Posts: 11812 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:

Eight bills for a push mower? Holy Cow! It better be nice and be able to cook breakfast
I'm seeing prices from $619.00 at many places, to a high of $899 on Amazon.

Added: Wow, I just realized that is WAY more than I payed for my 56 volt battery powered EGo last year.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30545 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
quote:
Eight bills for a push mower?

I'm not seeing $800... Honda HR family mowers are usually $300-$600. If he paid $800, me must have gotten the fanciest one with all the bells and whistles.

Besides when you think about it, $300-$600 for a mower that will last decades is a pretty good investment.

Mine cost $350 that was a sale price from a normal $450 3 years ago. Cheap considering how long it will last.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:

I'm seeing prices from $619.00 at many places, to a high of $899 on Amazon.

Added: Wow, I just realized that is WAY more than I payed for my 56 volt battery powered EGo last year.

Apples to oranges. Your electric won’t last for decades.

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3955 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
My dad bought a Honda push mower back in the 80s and that thing ran til every other part failed. First start of the season for nearly 20 years was fresh gas, three pulls, fired up. One spark plug change and one new filter. The box store models are hit or miss but the legit dealer Hondas are ridiculously high quality. Spend extra now and have no worries for years.

Posts: 13735 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Altitude Minimum
Picture of BOATTRASH1
posted Hide Post
I have a HR 217 Masters (aluminum deck) that I bought at least 20 years ago. Still starts first pull. Change the oil every spring, clean air filter couple times per season and new plug every year.

Bought the new version with electric start last year. It cuts better than the old one due to the 2 blades.

Wife got me a Honda string trimmer for Christmas. Another fine machine. Shaft is a little longer so no bending over and killing my back. Also not a cheap tool.

Only use non ethanol high test gas in any of my yard equipment.

Both those mowers will still be around and running fine after I’m gone or at least until I can’t mow any more.

Posts: 1199 | Location: Shalimar, FL | Registered: January 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
I bought a lower-end, non-self-propelled Honda mower year-before-last, when the el-cheapo Ariens we'd acquired at a big box store just up and stopped running.

We have a big, commercial ZTR rider for the bulk of the work. The little mower is just for trim work.

Does a really nice job. Started it up day-before-yesterday for the first time this season. Turned on the gas, topped-off the tank, and it started on the second pull Smile

Re: Sharpening the blades. I'm going to guess you have the same deck and blades I do. There'll be two blades under there. I believe I read somewhere they're sharpened at 45°, but I'm not certain.

After years of sending my blades out for sharpening, only to see the results a hack job (wrong sharpening angle, not straight, not entirely balanced), this year I went out and spent stupid amounts of money on the tools to do it right, myself.

But, because of their geometry, an additional adapter will be required for me to do our Honda's blades, which I did not acquire. I haven't yet decided what I'm going to do about those. I probably need to. Even though it's used for only trim work, it's probably due.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
Yes it was almost $800 with tax, but it’s also going to last me for the next 20 years and by then I’ll be paying someone to cut my grass.

I’m calling it my Trump mower because it was only possible with the Trump stimulus money. I may even put a big Trump sticker on it! Big Grin

Stock photo but this is the one, the polymer deck is such a great idea, makes it so easy to maneuver:

Posts: 33605 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
^^^^Nice Cool

Posts: 5302 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post