SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Finally Bought A New Mower, Winner: Honda HRX217
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Finally Bought A New Mower, Winner: Honda HRX217 Login/Join 
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
Congrats!

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24066 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Obviously not a golfer
Picture of g8rforester
posted Hide Post
Ignore the cheap-skates, it's a beautiful mower. I used one for many years. They don't know what we know.

Buy a second set of blades, they're cheap.

Also, if you're mulching, when you're done mowing, swing the Clip Director from mulch to bag a few times to clear out the chute. Even with it on full-mulch, a bit of grass gets past the plug. Over time it builds up and the lever will be impossible to move. Unless they solved that problem over the years...

Posts: 2438 | Location: Winter Garden, FL | Registered: September 04, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
I bought a hrm215 in 1998. I paid $700 for it then. I literally just finished mowing with it before walking in the house.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8214 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
I bought one this year as well to replace my 12 year old Troy Bilt with Honda motor and no frills that cost $200. Thing still ran and started on the first pull no matter what. The deck had rusted through in many places and I am sure the rings were likely shot. While she ran she smoked pretty bad and was not smooth at all.
I paid $100 for mine from a buddy who bought it a year and a half ago. This thing is the bees knees! Mulches like a champ even with higher grass, it is self propelled and I get my lawn done in half the time, and the blade brake, what a great feature!!!!

I almost pulled the trigger on an EGO electric while I am happy with their blower and trimmer I doubt I would have been as Bally with the mower as I am with this Honda.
I too need to get a second set of blades.

My small engine stuff only gets ethanol free 90 octane.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25408 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
I have the HRR216, bought in 2015. Runs great. The damn air filter cover hasn't stayed on since Day 1 and so hello duct tape. The rear drive tires are getting bald, and it starts on the first pull except when you turn it on it's side to clean the underdeck. Pro tip - turn off the gas line and let it run till it quits before turning on it's side.

I just googled and think I'm gonna cover the wheels/tires with knobby bike tires.

Posts: 4009 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
My tires are bald too. Damn mower is so freaking reliable the tires wore out before the engine. Never had that problem before, not sure it's that bad of a problem.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20815 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
More light than heat
Picture of Milliron
posted Hide Post
I’ve had one of those for eleven years. The Nexite deck holds up. I paid $800 for it eleven years ago.

These days it’s semi-retired in favor of the JD X35O, but it gets the front lawn setup.

"Age does not bring wisdom. Often it merely changes simple stupidity into arrogant conceit. It's only advantage, so far as I have been able to see, is that it spans change. A young person sees the world as a still picture, immutable. An old person has had his nose rubbed in changes and more changes and still more changes so many times that that he knows it is a moving picture, forever changing. He may not like it--probably doesn't; I don't--but he knows it's so, and knowing is the first step in coping with it."

Robert Heinlein

Posts: 8796 | Location: West Chester, Ohio | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
Get yourself some new tires to give your Honda that new mower feel and look. You can get them here on Amazon. $25 for rear tires, or $35 for a set of all four.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8214 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
I want some Dayton's or chrome. Anyone sell some wheels with bling?

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20815 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
A $500-700 Honda or Toro Super Recycler can literally last 20-30 years. They have heavy duty components that are built to last. A $250 Troy Bilt mower is junk after 5 years.

Its cheaper to spend the money and get a better mower that last longer than replace your mower every 5 years with a Walmart special.

ProTip- Home Depot now sells the Toro Super Recycler for $499. That is a flat out BARGAIN for a premium mower that will last 20 years. This was always a dealer only mower, not a big box store mower, and sold for $600-$650 at the dealer for the past decade.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/To...ndle-21386/311047054

https://www.homedepot.com/p/To...ndle-21387/311048307

Posts: 6660 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post