SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Homeowner Insurance riders and firearms Advice needed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Homeowner Insurance riders and firearms Advice needed Login/Join 
posted
Good idea or not??? If you have a good safe is this needed? Is this an insurance racket? State Farm has a separate rider for that at minimal cost?? Thanks

Posts: 17224 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
is circumspective
Picture of vinnybass
posted Hide Post
Here's an old thread you might get something from:

https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...030055714#4030055714

"We're all travelers in this world. From the sweet grass to the packing house. Birth 'til death. We travel between the eternities."

Posts: 5478 | Location: Las Vegas, NV. | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
I use Core Vens gun insurance and have been with them for years. They write the policy for Travellers. They are much less expensive than a homeowner rider.
http://www.corevens.com/about-us/#

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4358 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JJexp
posted Hide Post
I use USAA, and their firearms rider covers guns, optics, and cans. While a safe is great for keeping out Johnny Smash’n’grab, it won’t stop anyone with 15 minutes to spend breaking into your safe.

I seem to recall a recent posting by a forum member who is a claims adjuster that also pointed out the value of most “fire safes” as being equally worthless in a real house fire.

Posts: 451 | Location: Hatboro, PA | Registered: May 25, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In the yahd, not too
fah from the cah
Picture of ryan81986
posted Hide Post
All of my firearms are covered at replacement cost on my homeowners policy.

As well as mine and my wife's rings. Courtesy of a proof of value provided by David Truong when he made them.

Posts: 6345 | Location: Just outside of Boston | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
Good idea or not??? If you have a good safe is this needed? Is this an insurance racket? State Farm has a separate rider for that at minimal cost?? Thanks

I have it and a very nice safe as well.
Nice part about State Farm you just give a blanket value and they don't ask anything else.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25408 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Read your main policy and see if guns are covered, and what the limits of that coverage are.

Then you'll be able to decide whether you need more coverage.

No one can advise you on this without seeing your policy.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53121 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
A separate policy is best for me. I have a blanket amount with a company called “Colectibles”. I tell them the amount I need on their website and 10 min later I’m insured. Most homeowners policies only cover a few thousand dollars worth of firearms, at best

"Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway." Steve McQueen...

Posts: 6997 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yokel
Picture of ontmark
posted Hide Post
I have got to look into mine. I may have to up it.

Beware the man who only has one gun. He probably knows how to use it! - John Steinbeck

Posts: 3878 | Location: Vallejo, CA | Registered: August 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
My insurance only covers $1,500 in guns, getting a rider as I have closer to $10k worth. I'd very costly compared to other equal valued items for whatever reason.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20815 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
I've used NRA gun insurance before (Lloyds of London), but I THINK their rates are a little high.

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8657 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
FYI- NRA Armscare Insurance typically only pays AFTER and in EXCESS of your primary insurer, homeowners for instance. It is not Primary.

XXI.
OTHER INSURANCE
If other valid and collectible insurance with any other insurer is available
to the Individual Insured Member covering a loss that is also covered
by this policy, the insurance afforded by this policy shall be excess of
such insurance. This insurance shall not be primary or contributory to
any other insurance unless such condition is specifically endorsed to this
policy.

Without limiting the foregoing and in consideration of the premium
charged, this policy is also expressly excess of : (1) any directors and
officers insurance policy; and (2) any homeowners insurance policy.

Posts: 2689 | Location: Orlando Area | Registered: February 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post