SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Losing Old Memories
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Losing Old Memories Login/Join 
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
It seems that our "hard drives" literally become full, and the old stuff must simply be pushed out to make room for new data.

I have told people that for years, at least about me. Every time I remember something new, I forget something old.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
I believe I frazzled my brain by working too much between about 28 and 32. I was averaging 80 hours a week between police/detective work, some of it very high stress, and playing paramedic for 24-48+ hour shifts.

My brain has never seemed to work the same after that time period, and it is a subject of aggravation, because I used to be focused and able to think clearer and faster. I fully blame it on overworking, the stress from the jobs, lack of sleep, and my divorce saga.

Or, maybe I'm just nuts.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11448 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too soon old,
too late smart
posted Hide Post
A memory is an interesting thing. It can comfort us with pleasant reminders or torture us with reliving our mistakes. Whose idea was it to give us a memory?

Posts: 4757 | Location: Southern Texas | Registered: May 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of billfasttax
posted Hide Post
I recently visited with my sister, who I have seen about a half a dozen times in the last 50 years. She has a totally different memory of our childhood than I do. I remember a Mayberry type town, complete with holiday parades and close knit neighbors. Her memory was of a boring town with uncaring, dysfunctional parents. My younger brother has similar memories to mine. Different outlooks I guess. I like my memory a lot better than my sisters.

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming…......WOW! WHAT A RIDE!

Posts: 766 | Location: North of Atlanta | Registered: November 18, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
california
tumbles into the sea
posted Hide Post
just finished Dr. Matthew P. Walker's 2017 book Why We Sleep. fascinating that the memories that you create today are only in a temporary storage of the brain. he likens it to a flash drive. when we get into REM sleep, these memories are moved to a more permanent are of the brain and stored there for future access - while the temp storage gets written over. i never paid enough attention to sleep back in the hey day of work and work and half days work (12 hours plus), so there was a lot being written over. this perm storage only occurs during REM - which reaches it's peak during the later hours of sleep. so if you're not getting your 7-8 hours a night, say you get up after 5 or 6 hours, you're robbing your REM and not allowing that memory transfer.

Posts: 10665 | Location: NV | Registered: July 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Avoiding
slam fires
Picture of 45 Cal
posted Hide Post
F2 that makes sense to me. I get lots of sleep
and these early memories are crystal clear with names and places.
Last couple of years I recall every thing with a joy of having seen and done so many things.
Kinda like typing class in 1959.

Posts: 22410 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 45 Cal:
F2 that makes sense to me. I get lots of sleep
and these early memories are crystal clear with names and places.
Last couple of years I recall every thing with a joy of having seen and done so many things.
Kinda like typing class in 1959.

I was trying to think of my home room teachers after writing this post. From 7-12 grade, I think I remember 2 of them. I do remember my typing teacher though.

Posts: 17884 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Saluki
posted Hide Post
I think a lot of my memory reflects what I feel is important. Unfortunately my wife knows this too.

----------The weather is here I wish you were beautiful----------

Posts: 5150 | Location: southern Mn | Registered: February 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sportshooter:
torture us with reliving our mistakes.

I remember all my embarrassing mistakes, even very trivial ones, so it isn't as though my memory doesn't work.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47407 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post