SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Southern Pimento Cheese..
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Southern Pimento Cheese.. Login/Join 
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sig2340:

Okay, why is this labelled PimIento (note the extra "I") Cheese and not Pimento Cheese, as spelled by everyone in this thread?
Historically, the peppers were originally imported from Spain, thus the Spanish spelling, "pimiento." Americanized and simplified, it is "pimento," without the second 'i'

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30650 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Gotta toss this out there.

Ingredients
8 ounces sharp cheddar cheese
4 ounce jar pimentos, drained
3/4 cup mayonnaise
1/8 teaspoon cayenne (or more if desired)
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon onion powder

Instructions

Use a food processor or hand grate the cheese.
In a large bowl, stir pimentos, mayonnaise, cayenne, salt, pepper, garlic, and onion powder until combined.
Stir in cheeses until well blended.
Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours.

https://www.dontsweattherecipe.com/pimento-cheese/

We like ours with a bite of cheese, a bite of smoked sausage, a bite of jalapeno ... on a cracker. Perfect bite!

Posts: 3 | Location: Alabaster, Alabama | Registered: December 26, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mistake Not...
Picture of Loswsmith
posted Hide Post
Honestly, you guys had me at "cheese".

Mistake not my current state of joshing gentle peevishness for the awesome and terrible majesty of the towering seas of ire that are themselves the milquetoast shallows fringing my vast oceans of wrath.

Velocitas Incursio Vis - Gandhi

Posts: 1952 | Location: T-town in the 253 | Registered: January 16, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Ice Cream Man
posted Hide Post
Is there Yankee pimento cheese?

Posts: 5729 | Location: Republic of Ice Cream, Miami Beach, FL | Registered: May 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 1KPerDay
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aglifter:

—brick of velveeta
-shake of Frank’s
-microwave until slimy

---------------------------
My hovercraft is full of eels.

Posts: 3204 | Registered: February 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ersatzknarf
posted Hide Post
Oh, good grief!

So true and so grim. Big Grin

Posts: 4917 | Registered: June 06, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
That looks excellent nom00. Going by Krogers tomorrow to see what they have.

Posts: 17900 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Haven't had store bought in decades. But picked up a small tub of Price's Pimento Spread during a grocery run today. Made a sandwich with it and deli ham-off-the-bone. Not bad at all. Smile

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16194 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
At a fundraiser for a client of mine yesterday the caterers made a delicious Smoked Gouda version.

I was a big fan.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No good deed
goes unpunished
Picture of cheesegrits
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aglifter:

Maybe not now, but pimento cheese started up north. For whatever reason, the South ran with it and now it's as Southern as sweet tea and Hoppin' John.

Here's a long but interesting article on the history of pimento cheese.

For the folks who don't want to read a long article, a few excerpts:

[P]imento cheese got its start up North—in New York, in fact—as a product of industrial food manufacturing and mass marketing. Its story is one of redemption, of a wayward factory child adopted by a good Southern family, scrubbed up nice, and invited to Sunday dinner.

In the 1870s in New York State, farmers started making a soft, unripened cheese modeled after the French Neufchâtel. Within a few decades, at least five New York companies were marketing an American Neufchâtel, and they soon introduced cream cheese, a variant made by mixing cream with Neufchâtel curd and molding it into blocks in small rectangular wooden forms.

Around the same time, sweet red peppers imported from Spain first became available in the Americas.

Within a decade, imported Spanish peppers were being canned and sold by large food manufacturers, which not only boosted their popularity but also introduced the Spanish name pimiento. By the turn of the century most print source had dropped the "i" and were calling the peppers "pimentos."

It was only a matter of time before the two ingredients were brought together. In 1908, an article in Good Housekeeping recommended sandwiches filled with a blend of soft cream cheese, mustard, chives, and minced pimentos.

Commercially-made pimento cheese burst on the market around 1910 and spread quickly across the country.

The South may not have invented pimento cheese, but it did become the center of the nation's pimento growing and canning industry. Around 1911, when imported Spanish pimentos were an expensive but in-demand delicacy, farmers affiliated with the Georgia Experiment Station outside of Griffin, Georgia, began cultivating domestic pimentos.

The peak of Georgia pimento production—the 1920s through the 1940s—corresponds directly with the national pimento cheese boom. Georgia pimentos were canned and shipped nationwide, and their availability seems to have increased the popularity of pimento cheese all over the country.

After World War II, the popularity of pimento cheese began to wane, and brands like Bluehil and Clover Hill disappeared from grocery store shelves. But somewhere along the line, Southern cooks took what originated as an industrial food product and started creating their own recipes for making it from scratch, in the process turning it into something truly delicious that is associated very closely with the South.

Posts: 2680 | Location: The Carolinas | Registered: June 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
Cool history lesson cheesegrits.. Big Grin. I like how it spread quickly across the Country...spread it! Most of my life I've eaten pimentos in olives. Never actually seen how they are grown. Within the past 2 years I've seen tobacco in the fields and barns. That was a 1st also. Recall back in '95 seeing cotten growing in fields and picked some. That was a 1st also. Now I gotta see pimentos.

Posts: 17900 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fourth line skater
Picture of goose5
posted Hide Post
At work every year around the holidays this big brick of cheese shows up in the fridge at work. Its in a box marked Mississippi State Cheese. I snagged it this year. OMG its the most flavorful cheddar cheese I've ever had. Fantastic stuff.

Posts: 7522 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: July 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ersatzknarf
posted Hide Post
Didja make some pimento cheese with it?

posted Hide Post
I found Price's Pimento Cheese locally (cleverly hidden in the hummus section), grabbed two containers last week. I need to get more soon to maintain a working stock in case a day or three of social distancing is needed due to pandemic.

Posts: 3214 | Registered: August 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ersatzknarf
posted Hide Post
"social distancing"...

Clever Smile

Glad you have got your priorities right Big Grin

Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
I ate it so much as a kid that I can’t stand it now.

Posts: 17881 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ersatzknarf:
"social distancing"...

Clever Smile

Glad you have got your priorities right Big Grin

Got four sandwiches out of one small container. When the sandwich stuff is gone (I have two loaves of the Mestemacher Pumpernickel recommended by Pipe Smoker IIRC), it's dry beans and SPAM. I may need to keep a social distance from folks with that combo. Wink

Posts: 3214 | Registered: August 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ersatzknarf
posted Hide Post
Looks like you're gonna easily be able to avoid the wuhan crud Wink

posted Hide Post
Fried bologna on Jewish rye and pumpernickel bread lightly toasted with garlic dill pickle and pimento cheese. Soooooo gooood.

ARman

Posts: 3151 | Registered: May 19, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rat2306:

Just went to my local Giant for another container; they've raised a price a $1.00 a tub since last week's buy. Folks must be reading this thread. Smile

Try your local Costco, they have mega tubs of Pawleys Island, two flavors

Posts: 23403 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post