SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Samsung or Crucial SSD??
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Samsung or Crucial SSD?? Login/Join 
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted
These seem to be the leaders in my reading.
Going to put my OS on the SSD then have all my photos and Cameras record to a WD Purple drive as that seems to be the most recommended for surveillance camera usage.
Samsung and Crucial seem to be the most suggested and right along the same price. Any reason for one over the other?

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25354 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of reloader-1
posted Hide Post
I just built a system, and put in a Samsung 970 Pro.

Granted, I’d recommend against that for most users, but I’d go with a Samsung 960 Evo (or older) on sale.

Posts: 2320 | Location: S. FL | Registered: October 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
I recently overhauled my box.

I went with a Sandisk Extreme Pro 500gig SSD for the system drive. Then two Western Digital 2TB hybrid drives for the programs and data.

The Page File is partitioned as a logical drive on one of the hybrids.

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of side_shot
posted Hide Post
i just upgraded to a samsung 970 pro it works great

"They that can give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
--Benjamin Franklin, 1759--

Special Edition - Reverse TT 229ST.Sig Logo'd CTC Grips., Bedair guide rod

Posts: 1245 | Location: New Hampshire "Live Free or Die"  | Registered: September 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
They are both good choices.

I have Samsung SSDs and Crucial RAM. The MacBook Pro that I am typing this on, has a Samsung SSD and 16 GB Crucial RAM.

Over the course of many years I have had two failures, on different computers, with Crucial RAM.

Crucial took care of me promptly, with their no-hassle lifetime warranty.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30545 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mark60
posted Hide Post
I've had great luck with Samsung in a few different machines.

Posts: 3437 | Location: God Awful New York | Registered: July 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dies Irae
Picture of Opus Dei
posted Hide Post
I got a desktop last Black Friday, and put a Samsung 850 EVO Pro in for the boot drive and installed Samsung Magician for drive monitoring and updating. I had no problems transferring the OS with Samsung Wizard software, and everything's been trouble-free. I can highly recommend these all.

Posts: 5750 | Location: Fort Heathen, Texas | Registered: February 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
I'm using a Samsung 850 PRO.

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
These seem to be the leaders in my reading.

Wrong.

Intel SSD are the best.
Followed by Samsung Pro models.

Been an Intel Partner for twenty years.
Nothing better.

I do like (an use) Crucial RAM or Kingston RAM.

Posts: 22858 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
I have a siv YO Intel SSD in my main box. Not a hickup. The original Hitachi magnetic ate itself a few years back.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spiritually Imperfect
Picture of VictimNoMore
posted Hide Post
Two Samsung 850 Evos here recently, in a MBP and an iMac.
So far, they are excellent .

Posts: 3804 | Location: WV | Registered: January 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
Personally, I've got four of these ADATA Ultimate SU800 drives in four different PC's (three laptops and one desktop) and they've been terrific. Pick them up on sale and they're even more attractive.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jprebb
posted Hide Post
I've been using Samsung Pro SSDs forever and have been extremely happy.

JP

Posts: 2041 | Location: Maryland | Registered: April 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Security Sage
Picture of striker1
posted Hide Post
I have Intel and Samsung running in various machines, laptops, and a PS3.

RB

Cancer fighter (Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma) since 2009, now fighting Diffuse Large B-Cell Lymphoma.

Posts: 7133 | Location: Michiana | Registered: March 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
Intel or Samsung it is.
Wonder if either will be a Prime Day special.

————————————————

Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
Ended up taking a chance on the Crucial.
Amazon Prime Day had the 500 gb for $85. I had $10 Prime Day credit for shopping at Whole Foods and a $25 gift card so cost me $50.
They offer a 5 year warranty and are a solid company with good customer service. Doubt I will have this PC that long but we'll see.
I always have a back up anyway.

————————————————

Picture of lkdr1989
posted Hide Post
That's an excellent deal with your discounts!!!

quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:
Ended up taking a chance on the Crucial.
Amazon Prime Day had the 500 gb for $85. I had $10 Prime Day credit for shopping at Whole Foods and a $25 gift card so cost me $50.
They offer a 5 year warranty and are a solid company with good customer service. Doubt I will have this PC that long but we'll see.
I always have a back up anyway.

...let him who has no sword sell his robe and buy one. Luke 22:35-36 NAV

"Behold, I send you out as sheep in the midst of wolves; so be shrewd as serpents and innocent as doves." Matthew 10:16 NASV

Posts: 4330 | Location: Valley, Oregon | Registered: June 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member!
posted Hide Post
You'll find that with name-brand "SATA" drives, none of the most current models will show much of a difference in performance in real-world use on a consumer level computer. Benchmark differences of 10%-15% with the better "SATA" SSD's don't mean a thing in terms of real world usage, and while it's great that a particular brand might have an advertised super endurance rating of TB's of data per day written for 10 years. With the advancements and price reductions of storage capacity and changing interfaces, anyone who writes that much data is going to upgrade much sooner than the write lifetime of their drive anyway.

Actually "SATA" drives are on there way out within the next few years with the gradual takeover of NVME SSD's expected. There will always be someone continue to make SATA SSD's, but the big name players will probably stop making them within the next year or two as the profit margins are gone and move towards other interfaces while leaving the SATA SSD drives to the smaller companies.

The problem with SATA interface drives is that it is spec limited. The fastest SATA3 spec is 6Gb/sec (basically 600MB/sec). That means no matter how fast you make the drives be able to output data, the max theoretical is can communicate the data is 6Gb/sec. NVME and PCIe drives leap past these throughput limitations.

Posts: 4340 | Location: Boise, ID USA | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
I wasn’t really looking for the best performer. Just a bit of a pick me up without spending a bunch of money.
Just wanted decent quality. Essentially for $50 I will probably be pretty pleased.
I have 8gb of RAM so I may bump it up to 16.
Currently the machine is used primarily for BlueIris and a little bit of web browsing from time to time.
I am on the look out of an Intel i5-3450 or above at a decent price to move the BlueIris too and only use that for the cameras.

————————————————

Member!
posted Hide Post
Today's you're lucky day then Black92LX! I'll instant Karma you! Since I work for Micron SSD R&D, and you bought a Micron Drive (Crucial), it helps keep me employed! :-) So send me your address and I'll send you a I7-2600K CPU which should work just fine in your motherboard (and is overclockable if you want to), and in addition, as many ADATA XPG 1866 DDR3 4GB memory modules as you can use on your motherboard.

I7-2600K: https://ark.intel.com/products...Cache-up-to-3_80-GHz

Here's a comparison to the processor that you are looking for: http://cpu.userbenchmark.com/C...re-i5-4460/621vs2310

ADATA DDR3 1866 4Gb DRAM module picture: https://www.back2gaming.com/wp...2_ddr3_2400_0006.jpg

Posts: 4340 | Location: Boise, ID USA | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post