SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Facebook is really creepy
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Facebook is really creepy Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
I was in a bar last week. I had a conversation with a girl that I have known for quite a while. Had my phone with me. Two days later she pops up as a friend suggestion. Yep, creepy.

Jim

Posts: 1338 | Location: Northern Michigan | Registered: September 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pal:
I was in a bar last week. I had a conversation with a girl that I have known for quite a while. Had my phone with me. Two days later she pops up as a friend suggestion. Yep, creepy.

Jim
Are you using the FB app or using FB on a browser? I'm betting app.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23102 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
I’m pretty sure Facebook listens in to the mic on your phone. I’ve had a few creepy experiences where I mention something to a friend (never google it or research it at all) and in a day or so it pops up as an ad in my feed. Super creepy.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21078 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pal:

Jim

She likely searched for you, prompting the suggestion. Still creepy though.

I was in school back when the MySpace thing was going strong. I was the only one in my class to not be on it, and was ridiculed for that. I saw it for what it was back then and to this day I believe I made the right decision to not take part in any of that crap.

If someone wants to share something with me they can give me a call, send me an email, or [gasp] a letter, and vice versa.

Posts: 19976 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gjgalligan:
What is a VPN?
VPN == "Virtual Private Network"

a network technology used to privatize a communications stream between two endpoints by creating a "private tunnel" and passing traffic through this tunnel. Commonly used to allow access "into" a private network (e.g. a network behind a firewall), or to conceal the origin of a network connection. The latter is commonly used to allow access to location-restricted resources (e.g. a website that doesn't allow connections from the US).

In simpler terms, using a VPN can prevent FaceBook from "seeing" the IP address of the system accessing it. Note that nothing intrinsic to the VPN prevents an application "behind it" from conveying this information, or any other identifier, as data, it just keeps it out of the communication protocol.

A web search will turn up tons of information on VPNs and commercial VPN providers.

Posts: 6400 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stickman428:
I’m pretty sure Facebook listens in to the mic on your phone. I’ve had a few creepy experiences where I mention something to a friend (never google it or research it at all) and in a day or so it pops up as an ad in my feed. Super creepy.

Maybe on Android devices. That mobile OS is so loosey-goosey little would surprise me.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never Go
Full Retard
Picture of MitchbSC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BamaJeepster:
I've gotta say it was hilarious seeing some of the absolutely stupid, asinine questions asked by clueless Senators who probably can't even use a flip phone, let alone understand how Facebook works.

Conversely, I was surprised that Zuck had trouble articulating answers beyond marketing dreck to very basic questions regarding technical features in FB services and their interactions with respect to privacy. He either has lost touch with parts of his platform, is showing a lack of candor even though not under oath, or is intentionally running out the clock in those 5 minute segments per senator so he can conclude with "my lawyers team will respond later."

I honestly think FB keeps him around as a figurehead. His dorm room founder story is Silly Con Valley cool, as is the hoodie and tshirt. He may own the stage at conventions and marketing events. In front of Congress, cracks are showing that Zuck doesn't run the company and hasn't looked at his platform services recently beyond their marketing pitch.

They don't think it be like it is, but it do.

Posts: 4797 | Location: SC | Registered: January 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
someone explain the whole secrecy thing to me, please

If Kelly Clownuts wants to put all aspects of his life out on the WwW , then how can he claim that it was stolen ?

what am I missing?

If I decided to store my ammo collection on the pik nik table in the park , then come back to find it gone, was it stolen ?

I kinda don't think so.

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54504 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Charmingly unsophisticated
Picture of AllenInAR
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stickman428:

Had coffee with a friend of mine about two weeks ago. We talked briefly about hiking shoes. This Monday she texted me a screenshot of her Facebook app. Had an ad for Keen and Merrell.

The artist formerly known as AllenInWV

Posts: 16177 | Location: Harrison, AR | Registered: February 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never Go
Full Retard
Picture of MitchbSC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bendable:
someone explain the whole secrecy thing to me, please

If Kelly Clownuts wants to put all aspects of his life out on the WwW , then how can he claim that it was stolen ?

what am I missing?

If I decided to store my ammo collection on the pik nik table in the park , then come back to find it gone, was it stolen ?

I kinda don't think so.

I cannot argue with this black-and-white example. This is entirely correct. Anything put on the WWW is there forever no matter what privacy settings are in place. Much of this data can be compromised at rest or intercepted in-flight, even encrypted.

With regards to FB, the privacy issue to me seems that FB has very little privacy enabled by default. You have to go through multiple pages of privacy settings per FB service to lock down your data. FB's attitude has been they own what you post. While they claim they don't sell your data, they certainly sell access to it and have created circumstances where it can be pulled off their platform.

You are the product that FB makes money from by selling ads. User privacy prevents them from selling ads.

They don't think it be like it is, but it do.

Posts: 4797 | Location: SC | Registered: January 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
If Zuckerburg hearing was in Glasgow...

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post
Zuckerberg Loses Contact Lens During Senate Hearing Revealing Horrifying Lizard Eye

WASHINGTON, D.C.—During his much-publicized appearance before a bipartisan Senate committee Tuesday, the false, humanlike contact lens Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg had placed over his left eye accidentally fell out, revealing the horrifying yellow lizard eye lying underneath.

“Senator, I don’t have that information with me right now,” the tech billionaire said for the seven hundredth time just before the incident. As he moved to take a drink of water to appear like a real human who thirsts, the faux human-eye lens fell out of his eye socket and the awful, piercing alien eyeball underneath quickly focused on the Senator questioning him.

As the room full of lawmakers and press collectively gasped, the Senator pointed at Zuckerberg and exclaimed, “Your eye fell out! You’re a … monster!” prompting Zuckerberg to reply monotonously, “Senator, thank you, I will have my team get back to you on that.”

http://babylonbee.com/news/zuc...rrifying-lizard-eye/

Posts: 8603 | Registered: September 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aeteocles:
quote:
Originally posted by Spokane228:

I start getting “people you may know” links. And about a third of them are friends and relatives. WTF? I gave the app no access to location services.

Did some digging. It looks like Facebook is using an algorithm via Bluetooth to send packets to other devices running the app. In other words, I’m in the same room as my wife. Based on the amount of time we spend together, we must know each other pretty well. It suggests people she knows to me.

It's probably something even simpler.

Do any of those people have your phone number?

Facebook probably found you based on your device's phone number.

If Abe, Bill, and Charlie all have your phone number, Facebook might suggest that each of them might be someone you know.

If Abe, Bill, and Charlie all also have Dave's number, then Facebook might also suggest that Dave be someone you know.

Facebook should have access to your device's phone number, by default, to confirm the device's identity.

You might have also given Facebook access to an email address that is associated with you, or even worse, access to your phone's phone book which gives it phone numbers, names, and emails of everyone in your phone.

Always prefer the simple explanation. This seems probable.

And if you use your account to visit other people, it already has the first tier of your network - it won't be hard to guess that the next tier is people your people know.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53118 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BamaJeepster:
I've gotta say it was hilarious seeing some of the absolutely stupid, asinine questions asked by clueless Senators who probably can't even use a flip phone, let alone understand how Facebook works.

I know. They all seem out of touch with how social media works. Their lack of understanding and basic preparation is very apparent.

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
Not sure about Facebook but if Amazon starts advertising based on something I said at home that Dot will have to go.

Posts: 17871 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Republican in training
Picture of DonDraper
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Spokane228:

Did some digging. It looks like Facebook is using an algorithm via Bluetooth to send packets to other devices running the app. In other words, I’m in the same room as my wife. Based on the amount of time we spend together, we must know each other pretty well. It suggests people she knows to me.

Facebook is not using Bluetooth to figure out who you are near... lol

--------------------
I like Sigs and HK's, and maybe Glocks

Posts: 2263 | Location: SC | Registered: March 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This happened last Sunday. Our Sunday School Class(at a Methodist Church, clearly identified) recently started a FB page. So, we all check in when we get to the class. Since FB isn't satisfied with you just checking in, it asks for ancillary info/reviews/location specifics...this time the question was asked: "do you want your (FB page) to show up (as a possible match or connection) when FB sees searches for Baptist churches? LOL Roll Eyes

Bill Gullette

Posts: 1523 | Location: Behind the Pine Curtain  | Registered: March 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BGULL:
This happened last Sunday. Our Sunday School Class(at a Methodist Church, clearly identified) recently started a FB page. So, we all check in when we get to the class. Since FB isn't satisfied with you just checking in, it asks for ancillary info/reviews/location specifics...this time the question was asked: "do you want your (FB page) to show up (as a possible match or connection) when FB sees searches for Baptist churches? LOL Roll Eyes

Not really following you...You're angry that it gave you the choice?

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
I think he's angry that Facebook called him a Baptist.

Which reminds me of the old (Southern) joke... What's the difference between Methodists and Baptists?

Methodists will say "Hi" when they see each other at the liquor store. Big Grin

Posts: 32432 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
I think he's angry that Facebook called him a Baptist.

Lol