SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Facebook is really creepy
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Facebook is really creepy Login/Join 
posted
I’ve bailed on Facebook in terms of my family and friends. Just too much of a pain.

But Facebook is a useful aggregator of people and products. So I made a fake account. Finally, Facebook is adding some value.

Then...

I start getting “people you may know” links. And about a third of them are friends and relatives. WTF? I gave the app no access to location services.

Did some digging. It looks like Facebook is using an algorithm via Bluetooth to send packets to other devices running the app. In other words, I’m in the same room as my wife. Based on the amount of time we spend together, we must know each other pretty well. It suggests people she knows to me.

I can’t prove any of this. But I can’t think of any reason those people would have come up as suggestions.

Can you imagine what Alexa is listening for?

Posts: 958 | Registered: October 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
Turn off your phone's Bluetooth when not in use?

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Only in an insane world are the sane considered insane.

The memories of a man in his old age
Are the deeds of a man in his prime

Posts: 14033 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have not yet begun
to procrastinate
posted Hide Post
quote:
Can you imagine what Alexa is listening for?

I'll take "Everything" for $400 Alex.

--------
After the game, the King and the pawn go into the same box.

Posts: 3774 | Location: Central AZ | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I quit facebook awhile back.

Posts: 1568 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: August 17, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost Allman Brother
Picture of S600MBUSA
posted Hide Post
<br /><a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8xn1rO1oQmk&fmt=18" target="_blank">View on YouTube</a>

-Winston Churchill, writing of the Pashtun

Posts: 3989 | Location: Holly Springs/Canton, GA | Registered: November 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I could turn off Bluetooth. Run a VPN would probably be a good idea. Mainly I’m surprised at the invasion of privacy. I know we don’t have a guarantee of privacy as part of Facebooks terms of service. It’s just so blatant. Time to bail.

posted Hide Post
It may not be as invasive as you think. if you are both accessing through the same router it may simply be "seeing" that both of you have traffic coming from the same IP address.

------------------------------
"They who would give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
- Benjamin Franklin

"So this is how liberty dies; with thunderous applause."
- Senator Amidala (Star Wars III: Revenge of the Sith)

Posts: 1494 | Location: Southwest Ohio | Registered: October 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Spokane228:

I start getting “people you may know” links. And about a third of them are friends and relatives. WTF? I gave the app no access to location services.

Did some digging. It looks like Facebook is using an algorithm via Bluetooth to send packets to other devices running the app. In other words, I’m in the same room as my wife. Based on the amount of time we spend together, we must know each other pretty well. It suggests people she knows to me.

It's probably something even simpler.

Do any of those people have your phone number?

Facebook probably found you based on your device's phone number.

If Abe, Bill, and Charlie all have your phone number, Facebook might suggest that each of them might be someone you know.

If Abe, Bill, and Charlie all also have Dave's number, then Facebook might also suggest that Dave be someone you know.

Facebook should have access to your device's phone number, by default, to confirm the device's identity.

You might have also given Facebook access to an email address that is associated with you, or even worse, access to your phone's phone book which gives it phone numbers, names, and emails of everyone in your phone.

Posts: 13047 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
did you use a fake email for your fake account?

Posts: 5405 | Registered: April 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ScorpionBoy:
did you use a fake email for your fake account?

Yup.

eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
Also remember that Facebook learns your viewing habits.

If you visit Evan and Frank's Facebook page frequently, and Evan and Frank both are friends with Greg, then it'll suggest that you and Greg might know each other as well.

Facebook doesn't even have to be invasive to figure out who you are connected with.

Posts: 13047 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
maybe it is IP based. Perhaps you could retry using TOR to really hide your identity.

posted Hide Post
I haven’t visited these pages. I made the fake account to get away from them. Wink

I never added a mobile number. If they pulled it off my phone somehow.... creepy.

Bad dog!
Picture of justjoe
posted Hide Post
A really important book was just published, World Without Mind: The Existential Threat of Big Tech by Franklin Foer. I can't think of how to summarize it adequately, except to say that Facebook, Amazon and Google represent a threat to individuality and personal freedom far beyond what most people realize. The title is a bit off-putting, I know. But it is very readable, very down-to-earth in its analysis of big tech.

I wish everyone could read it, because there is no doubt that big tech is immensely powerful and immensely dangerous.

"You get much farther with a kind word and a gun than with a kind word alone."

Posts: 11106 | Location: pennsylvania | Registered: June 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post

You are here.
It is a closed system.

Everything you do that is recorded, written imaged etc. is somewhere on this ball.

You are not anonymous.

It is a fiction.

That is all.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43860 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was thinking that FB sees traffic coming from your IP for your fake account and the wifes account and then links them.

posted Hide Post
I suppose that’s the simplest explanation. I’ll use a VPN.

Just because something is legal to do doesn't mean it is the smart thing to do.
posted Hide Post
What is a VPN?

Integrity is doing the right thing, even when nobody is looking.

Posts: 4132 | Location: Metamora MI | Registered: October 31, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Love the Ron Swanson video!

Posts: 1918 | Location: Pacific Northwet | Registered: August 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post