SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Man injured when rifle barrel explodes during target practice
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Man injured when rifle barrel explodes during target practice Login/Join 
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arfmel:
Remington has been making muzzleloaders based on the Model 700 for at least 15 years.

The rifle involved was, in fact, a Remington 700 muzzleloader:

Posts: 32503 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
Remington makes an "in line black powder muzzle loader"
It is constructed using a Model 700 receiver.

They look just like a regular rifle.

Many things can go wrong with a black powder rifle. Not seating the bullet against the powder will make a gun go boom just like the photos

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11275 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
To all of you who are serving or have served our country, Thank You
Picture of Jelly
posted Hide Post
It a remington muzzle loader alright it use a pre primed case system. The loop that holds the ram rod is still there on parts of the barrel but is missing a ram rod but don't know if it was in the barrel or not. I got no idea what this guy did because of the pre primed case system. But he sure did a good job. Hope he never uses a chainsaw from the looks of this mess.

https://www.remington.com/rifl...ltimate-muzzleloader.

Posts: 2679 | Registered: March 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The guy behind the guy
Picture of esdunbar
posted Hide Post
Learn something new everyday! Thanks for the info on the muzzleloader, never knew that.

Posts: 7548 | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have seen the 700 muzzle loader but not with a muzzle brake / sight setup. Maybe that's why it was at the smith? To install the brake?

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16083 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
WTF?!?! Who has their barrel "cleaned by a gunsmith?"

If you can't clean and lube it, you shouldn't be shooting it.

Yup.

tac

Posts: 11320 | Location: UK, OR, ONT | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
A muzzle brake on a muzzle-loader? WTF?

Must think about getting one for my 1885 45-70 High Wall - that can be a bit of a kicker.... Roll Eyes

tac

Posts: 11320 | Location: UK, OR, ONT | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
'1st shot of the season'? Most likely a charge & projectile left in from last season.

The next most likely is a bore obstruction of some type. I think it's less likely that it's an overcharge.

I store my Knight with the breechplug out. It's easier to give the once-over in the off season, no way to ever leave a charge in.

Posts: 6156 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
I saw pictures, I forget where, of somebody bore sighting a rifle, then firing a shot ... without taking the bore sighter out. The barrel blew to ribbons like that one.

Posts: 27935 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
Yes, a 'bore sighter' tool left in would do it also. That's not all uncommon nowadays.

Posts: 6156 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Looking at it again, I guess the item on the muzzle brake is the mount for the ramrod, not a sight.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16083 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Avoiding
slam fires
Picture of 45 Cal
posted Hide Post
The pic's got the best of me ,I dug out my
700 M L
That smith must have re barreled it,no rear site like mine and it is also fluted.
There are screw holes where part of front site was.
Barrel looks to be stainless.
Mine is blue steel and its so old the bolt knob has turned plum.
I wish I could post pic's to show the differences.
The thing folks think are some siting device is the ram rod band that rides about six inches back behind the muzzle
I could not get clear detain on warnings on barrel but they are there.

Posts: 22410 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
I have one of these rifles and I can see how it could happen. You remove the primer and put the gun in the rack thinking you are going to go out again but don't go so it sits in the rack for a year with a charge in the barrel. The first thing I do when I get my in-line out is measure for a charge with the ramrod and then fire a primer through it to be sure before loading a new charge. If you load another charge and slug on top of the one that's already there and fire this will likely happen.

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4358 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 45 Cal:
The pic's got the best of me ,I dug out my
700 M L
That smith must have re barreled it,no rear site like mine and it is also fluted.
There are screw holes where part of front site was.
Barrel looks to be stainless.
Mine is blue steel and its so old the bolt knob has turned plum.

The one in the photos (that was involved in this incident) is a 700 Ultimate Muzzleloader.

That model comes with a fluted stainless barrel with no sights.

It doesn't appear to have been rebarrelled. Looks like they just threaded the factory barrel for that muzzle brake.

https://www.remington.com/rifl...ltimate-muzzleloader

Posts: 32503 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Avoiding
slam fires
Picture of 45 Cal
posted Hide Post
Thanks Rogue
Did a little digging also,the ones I have use #11 primers,this is a more modern type with different setup and extra under the stock assembly.
I will send pic's to you so you can see what old ones look like.

Posts: 22410 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post