SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    U.S. Border Patrol on University of Iowa campus causes concern for DACA students
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

U.S. Border Patrol on University of Iowa campus causes concern for DACA students Login/Join 
posted
"To this community...it's terror and it's awful..."

Chill out! It was for a career fair. Snowflakes can always use the empathy tent.

This is not a surprise to me, the U of Iowa (in Iowa City, about 45 miles W of me) considers itself the liberal, hip, inclusive center of the universe.

Complete article:

http://wqad.com/2017/09/27/u-s...n-for-daca-students/

U.S. Border Patrol on University of Iowa campus causes concern for DACA students

IOWA CITY-- Some might not notice the cars but others, like DACA students, immigration advocates, and undocumented immigrants, do.

On September 26th sightings of U.S. border patrol cars were seen in Iowa City around the university's campus.

This created confusion and panic among the community.

"I've gotten hundreds of messages from people all over the community both the University of Iowa community and in the surrounding community talking about people needing to stay safe," said Emiliano Martinez, president of Hawkeyes for Dream Iowa.

University of Iowa officials state they were not there for any enforcement reasons. They were there for recruiting purposes as part of the university's job fair to build awareness for career opportunities.

"I understand they're looking for people to pursue in those federal agencies," says Martinez.

But he says the University should have taken into consideration the impact it would have on it's DACA students and the rest of the community.

"To this community...it's terror and it's awful and it's not what people need to be focused on right now," says Martinez.

He hopes this will create a dialogue between DACA students and the University.

"It was something that was overlooked, but it's something that we need to have a better conversation about," says Martinez.

This happens just after weeks of students rallying in support for DACA students on campus, with roughly 700 students protesting the ending of DACA.

The University also stated they stood with those students impacted by the termination of DACA.

Posts: 15924 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never miss an
opportunity to STFU
posted Hide Post
To this community...it's terror and it's awful and it's not what people need to be focused on right now," says Martinez

Maybe if this community was not guilty of a crime they would not feel that way. They know they are illegal, not anyone else's fault. Live in fear. You earned it.

Never be more than one step away from your sword-Old Greek Wisdom

Posts: 2294 | Location: SE Mich-- USA | Registered: September 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
I hope it starts some dialog too such as "you have the right to remain silent..."

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

The definition of the words we used, carry a meaning of their own...

Posts: 14048 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LS1 GTO:
I hope it starts some dialog too such as "you have the right to remain silent..."

Lighten up Francis....

My god these snowflakes freak out at the slightest little thing.

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 38035 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Funny Man
Picture of TXJIM
posted Hide Post
So if I understand Mr. Martinez correctly, we shouldn't have law enforcement groups in or around college campuses, even if they are there to hire graduates of these schools, because people who have committed crimes get all nervous and scared that they will be caught. Is that what this asshat is saying? Is that just immigration crimes Mr. Martinez, or all crimes? Is the ATF welcome to recruite there, the FBI, Secret Service, CIA? Please Mr. Martinez, tell us which agencies make your people nervous so we can be sure to only allow agencies that enforce laws that don't upset your particular criminals.

Posts: 7093 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: June 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Main Thing Is
Not To Get Excited
Picture of wishfull thinker
posted Hide Post
quote:
He hopes this will create a dialogue between DACA students and the University.

Is there no end to the "Dialogs" these troubled cretins want to start? Dialog on football meanies, dialog at a beer summit, dialog on global warming/cooling/changing/polar bears. Dialog on borders, dialog on EBT, dialog on free tuition, dialog on free injection sites, dialog on the homeless. Dialog on graduation rates, dialog on affirmative action, dialog on what the fuck ever.

Just because your butt hurts doesn't mean somebody has to rub it. If you don't like the Iowa political weather I understand that Havanna is nice this time of year or maybe Benghazi, I don't mean to descriminate by ultimat3e destinations.

But how sick am I of GDCs, their spawn, their fellow travelers, their fluffers and entitlers telling me that I have to diafuckinglog with them which has been ably pointed out here and elsewhere means I need to sit down and shut up.

They are just beginning to piss me off.

Posts: 6412 | Location: Washington | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
People need to realize this is America and we have rules. Mexico should know that better than anyone with their rules.

Posts: 6930 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post