SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Just had a bullet whizz buy the wife and I
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Just had a bullet whizz buy the wife and I Login/Join 
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MNSIG:
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
quote:
Originally posted by ugeesta:

And it costs too much.

Bull

I have no idea. Assuming similar exterior finishes and interior walls still being drywall, how much extra would it be to "frame" a house in concrete block vs 2x6 lumber? I'm guessing it's more, but as a percentage of total cost may not be that much.

Quite a bit more, plus you have to use rigid insulation instead of batts which can go in the cavity of the studs. Also, you can run electrical and plumbing in stud cavities but not in concrete blocks. So you typically have to furr out walls on the inside of the blocks for your electrical wiring and boxes. Your exterior wall built out of studs and brick is usually 10-11" thick. Built out of 8" cmu with furring inside it is around 20" thick.

Southern yellow pine is darn close to a renewable resource. We have tons of it and are growing more and more every day. It is cheap and wood has been used successfully as a building material for thousands of years.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10487 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
Not wise to do concrete block homes in earthquake prone areas as they tend to collapse.

IMO, the way to go in an non-earthquake area are Insulated Concrete Form (ICF) homes. They are strong, quiet, energy efficient, and the electrical is hidden.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23246 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of olfuzzy
posted Hide Post
That's two of us within a couple of months. I had the same thing happen to me a while back.

Posts: 5181 | Location: 20 miles north of hell | Registered: November 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici
Picture of ChuckFinley
posted Hide Post
Moving would be an extreme response. How about using some of the internet's free maps to trace where the probable origins might have been? Other neighbors might not realize how far bullets can carry (easily 1 mile with many calibers). Bing, Google and others have the maps and they are updated as much as quarterly.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." -- C.S. Lewis

Posts: 5644 | Location: District 12 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Quit staring at my wife's Butt
Picture of XLT
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 220-9er:
Have you considered moving?
This might not be the first one, just the first one when you were home.

No, we live in a quiet (until yesterday) suburban upscale neighborhood, everyone is great around here they take care of their yards e.t.c

I just think it was a stray bullet from someone in the wooded area that surrounds us could have been a mile away given the trajectory. I have had several bullet whizz by me in the last 47 years that I have been shooting , and it's a sound you never forget.

Thanks Everyone, I'm still looking for the lead might find it when the roof starts to leak this winter who knows.

Posts: 5594 | Registered: February 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post