SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Do magnets wear out?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Do magnets wear out? Login/Join 
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted
From a quick google search, it appears that magnets wear out over a long period of time--something like 700 year half life.

But, do magnets wear out from use? For instance, will repetitively sticking magnets to one another wear them out?

Posts: 13047 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aeteocles:
But, do magnets wear out from use? For instance, will repetitively sticking magnets to one another wear them out?

Why don't you try it and let us know.

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16268 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
If you force together magnets of the same polarity, yes you can de-gauss them from a strong charge down to almost nothing. I was just doing this at work before lunch. And yes, sticking together magnets with the opposite poles touching can transfer gauss from one to another, generally evening out.

If you want, I can do a test with some Alnico 5 bar magnets and measure the result with a gauss meter. Because I have one.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
So, using a magnet in place of a spring probably wouldn't work in the long run?

Posts: 13047 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Depends on all the variables, lol. What are you trying to do?

Posts: 17099 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:

They'll last 36,000 miles or 36 months - whichever comes first. Wink

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Only in an insane world are the sane considered insane.

The memories of a man in his old age
Are the deeds of a man in his prime

Posts: 14032 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Do magnets wear out?

Well when stuck together over time they have been known to lose their attraction

Posts: 23366 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
...and now here's Al
with the Weather.
Picture of guardianangel762
posted Hide Post
Yes faster than 700 years.

Cabinets' use magnets and they stop holding the door shut after 10 years or so.

Posts: 9018 | Location: Lake Stevens, WA | Registered: March 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
quote:

In the long run, we'll all be dead.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18387 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by guardianangel762:

Good point of reference. Thanks!

posted Hide Post
This is a very interesting thread. Thanks folks!

Posts: 17135 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
I'll just comment that the newer rare earth magnets retain their magnetism far better than the older ALNICO magnets. They're very stable.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8919 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Plowing straight ahead come what may
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
quote:
Do magnets wear out?

Well when stuck together over time they have been known to lose their attraction

Especially after you throw a bucket of water on them!

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
Plowing straight ahead come what may
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10584 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
Repeated hard blows or vibration can damage a magnet. Many cars use a magnetized wheel bearing as an ABS wheel speed sensor. When installing one they must never be hammered in, only pressed.

Posts: 27915 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jbcummings
posted Hide Post
quote:

Are those really magnets or are they little pieces of magnetize metal? I'd think there would be a difference.

———-
Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for thou art crunchy and taste good with catsup.

Posts: 4306 | Location: DFW | Registered: May 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8PyqL9y7VZo

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54595 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Smarter than the
average bear
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bendable:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8PyqL9y7VZo

I am now very thankful that I've never watched Bill Nye. And I won't make that mistake again.

Posts: 3435 | Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana | Registered: June 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jbcummings:
little pieces of magnetize metal

That is what a magnet is.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53120 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prestoked
posted Hide Post
quote:

Mine on my kitchen cabinet doors have been working fine without any sign of weakening for 56 years.

*Sigs, HKs, S&W PerfCntr, Caspian, Dan Wessons, Clark, Wilson Combat, Kahrs, CZ SP01 Shadow, Desert Eagle, Les Baers, Ed Brown, Pythons*

NRA Benefactor Member
U.S.M.C.

Posts: 224 | Location: Sacramento, California | Registered: October 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post