SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    World Record Mt. Washington Hill Climb
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

World Record Mt. Washington Hill Climb Login/Join 
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
The dirt section was very cool, although the lower paved section with its very uneven grading was pretty intense.

Pikes Peak was ruined when the authorities paved the road all the way to the top.

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Web Clavin Extraordinaire
Picture of Oat_Action_Man
posted Hide Post
Just drove up Mt. Washington last month. That's a little fast for my tastes.

----------------------------

Chuck Norris put the laughter in "manslaughter"

Educating the youth of America, one declension at a time.

Posts: 19837 | Location: SE PA | Registered: January 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of FlyingScot
posted Hide Post
That. Was. Awesome!

Love to think I'd be able to develop the skills for something like that - then you watch the video and reality sets in. I've run on road courses but that is a whole other world and no freakin way.

Hell of a driver and the mechanic who set up that car got it right. It was wiggling on the dirt but pretty planted...2 feet away from the damn cliff. Insane.

“Forigive your enemy, but remember the bastard’s name.”

-Scottish proverb

Posts: 1999 | Location: South Florida | Registered: December 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
So essentially a record setting WRC stage without the benefit of a co-driver.

Eek Eek Eek

He's pretty much an all around nut.

Pastranaland

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12417 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Edge seeking
Sharp blade!
posted Hide Post
My opinion based on watching Sebastian Loeb set the Pike's Peak record, if his car was set up for a short stretch of dirt/gravel, he'd beat Pastrana by 15 seconds at least.

Posts: 7454 | Location: Over the hills and far away | Registered: January 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wonder what it would be like to race down the mountain?

Posts: 2132 | Location: south central Pennsylvania | Registered: November 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Pikes Peak was ruined when the authorities paved the road all the way to the top.

I used to feel that way too, and I have been going up there off and on since 1990 ( I just mean I remember lots more dirt, Glen Cove on).

But, racers are using that pavement to take the race to another level since they can go so fast. Also, PP is a big ass mountain and it always calls the shots. I have stood up there in July in nasty snowstorms. lol. freakin mountains.

Posts: 5405 | Registered: April 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Graniteguy:
quote:
Originally posted by YellowJacket:
doesn't look all that fast a lot of the time until you realize he averaged a touch over 77 mph.

Driving up that at 15 mph is enough to scare the shit out of you.

My brother and I drove up Pikes Peak back when it was still dirt most of the way, and I swear the only reason we made it was that we were afraid to turn around. At the top (14,400 feet ASL, I think) I took three steps from the car and nearly passed out from the thin air.

I don't think we ever exceeded 25 mph, usually going much slower than that. Going down, I held the car in First Gear to preserve the brakes, so we probably were going even slower than on the ascent.

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9158 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My dog crosses the line
Picture of Jeff Yarchin
posted Hide Post
I'm old. I remember driving it when there was no pavement. Eek

Posts: 12921 | Registered: June 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
Just found this Instagram post he made:

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18023 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rtquig
posted Hide Post
That was Awesome! The video doesn't show how far the drop offs are on some of the shoulders, Which is understandable. I find going down to be more of a challenge. I wonder if he received the "This Car Climbed Mt. Washington" Certificate.

Living the Dream

Posts: 4015 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: December 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post

Look above your post...

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18023 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rtquig
posted Hide Post
That is the sticker. There is a certificate you also get when you pay.

Living the Dream

Posts: 4015 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: December 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post