SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    How would you deal with a plumber who didn't finish the job?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How would you deal with a plumber who didn't finish the job? Login/Join 
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
Some areas require discharge to a drain. Locally I recently did one into a crawlspace to discharge into a "french drain" which was nothing but a pile of gravel. For most water heaters I pipe it to within 4" of the floor. Last week a customer insisted I come back, raise it up higher, and offset it further from the tank - so she could get a bucket under it if it dripped Roll Eyes

The condensate line is the one that puts out a steady stream of water. Where does that one go?

I was just in Montana with truck and tools, visiting my plumber buddy Peter Burr Folks of Gardiner. He was a hell-raising stomper in his day. His friend Dave Holland owned a house at the top of the Yellowstone River bank. Dave also owned to water's edge, where the century-old pump house was located (which supplied Mammoth, I think). The way Dave told me, a deed came up which followed his property lines all the way into the middle of the river. It was originally for the pump house. So Dave bought it. When I wanted to try some fishing, back in '86, Dave told me to go ahead. Without a permit or license. Claimed he owned that part of the river and F&G could go pound sand.

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blackmore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Icabod:
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
quote:
Originally posted by Woodman:
Do you mean the drain from the relief valve? Do you want the discharge piped somewhere?

As I recall, it needs to be drained a certain way in order to be code and I'm not there now.

Think this means you need to have an inspection to close out the permit. He did get a permit, yes?

You need to pull a permit to replace a water heater in Montana? What's the world coming to?

In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act

Posts: 3427 | Location: W. Central NH | Registered: October 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Blackmore:
quote:
Originally posted by Icabod:
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
quote:
Do you mean the drain from the relief valve? Do you want the discharge piped somewhere?

As I recall, it needs to be drained a certain way in order to be code and I'm not there now.

Think this means you need to have an inspection to close out the permit. He did get a permit, yes?

You need to pull a permit to replace a water heater in Montana? What's the world coming to?

No, no permit. As far as I know it's not required and I wouldn't bend over backwards to jump through that hoop if it was. It just needs to be safe and not flood the garage if it decides to blow off as far as I'm concerned.

Posts: 19974 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because something is legal to do doesn't mean it is the smart thing to do.
posted Hide Post
As I see it:
Plumber agreed to do a complete job, home owner agreed to pay complete fee as agreed upon when the job is completed.

When the plumber is done, pay him.

Integrity is doing the right thing, even when nobody is looking.

Posts: 4125 | Location: Metamora MI | Registered: October 31, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Quit staring at my wife's Butt
Picture of XLT
posted Hide Post
if it's buy the hour pay him for what he has done, hire a new plumber and be done with it.

Posts: 5574 | Registered: February 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dinosaur
Picture of P210
posted Hide Post
Unless there was another agreement beforehand, as someone else said I pay when they finish the job and situations like this are precisely why. As I see it, when he'll get paid is entirely up to him and there's nothing wrong with telling him that.

Posts: 6955 | Location: 96753 | Registered: December 15, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post

Link to original video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WzDsJqkmnSk

What man is a man that does not make the world better. -Balian of Ibelin

Only boring people get bored. - Ruth Burke

Posts: 8227 | Registered: September 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

The relief valve would have to be there for safe operation. Do you mean the drain from the relief valve? Do you want the discharge piped somewhere? Here we pipe them to the floor. A ¾" pvc male adaptor, an elle maybe, and a few feet of ¾" pvc and it is done. $8 in material. Although I do them in copper because I do not carry pvc.

You posted that you use copper, ok.

But, CPVC should be used instead of PVC for a safety relief.

Posts: 10045 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Some areas require discharge to a drain. Locally I recently did one into a crawlspace to discharge into a "french drain" which was nothing but a pile of gravel. For most water heaters I pipe it to within 4" of the floor. Last week a customer insisted I come back, raise it up higher, and offset it further from the tank - so she could get a bucket under it if it dripped Roll Eyes

I wouldn't have changed it, 4" is a good height. Within 6" is code, so I wouldn't have raised it above that... and told her the way you piped it was to code.

Posts: 10045 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post