Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Safe moving Login/Join 
Picture of Jimbo Jones
posted Hide Post
When I bought my safe the dealer suggested (and I used) a dedicated safe moving company that picked it up from the dealer and delivered it and installed it in my house. They have this highly specialized electrically powered motorized dolly that the safe was strapped to that allowed lifting the safe and slightly tilting the safe to put the center of gravity over the center of the dolly. Very professional and it took all of 5-10 minutes once they arrived. Cost me $225 and I hired the same guys to move my safe last Summer when I moved.

---------------------------------------
It's like my brain's a tree and you're those little cookie elves.

Posts: 3625 | Location: Cary, NC | Registered: February 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Professor Smack-Down
Picture of Protein anchor
posted Hide Post
Bend your knees!

----------------------------
Tony

Guns in my collection:

Awaiting next purchase

Posts: 4107 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: October 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by a1abdj:

Please don't use golf balls to move your safe up or down stairs. Big Grin

Well Duh!! Of course not, use beach balls for stairs! Smile

Posts: 1995 | Location: DFW Texas | Registered: March 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
My Fort Knox safe was delivered and bolted down in my house. Was about $250 if I remember correctly. It weighs right at 1000lbs. I would *never* try and move a gun safe myself.. keep looking!

"Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway." Steve McQueen...

Posts: 6997 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Joie de vivre
Picture of sig229-SAS
posted Hide Post
If you need a safe, don't buy it from Costco or any other box type store. Go to a safe dealer, they will have a great selection of safe's, prices may appear to be higher but it will come back to you in deliver /install savings. Delivery was $250 and that included drilling the concrete floor and bolting it down.

Consider also if the dial or electronic dial goes bad. Costco sure as hell is not going to fix it for you.!!

Posts: 3850 | Location: 1,960' up in Murphy, NC | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Smarter than the
average bear
posted Hide Post
quote:

... do not hire a safe dealer.

Hire an actual safe company ...

Can you please explain this? By "safe company" I don't think you mean the manufacturer of the safe, so I don't understand how that is different from a "safe dealer".

Posts: 3435 | Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana | Registered: June 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ravens1775
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OKCGene:
It's been my experience when someone quotes you an outrageous price it means they really don't want to do it.

Yup, or they don't have the time/crew to do it. Either way, at 3x going rate they'll find time, add a subcontractor, and be happy to do it.

Posts: 744 | Location: Virginia | Registered: January 21, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Big Grin
get this guy

and HRK with his "wonder " straps
Big Grin

yeah , that ought to do it
Big Grin

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54608 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
quote:
Can you please explain this? By "safe company" I don't think you mean the manufacturer of the safe, so I don't understand how that is different from a "safe dealer".

If he doesn't mind me using him as an example, how about Appliance Brad vs. Home Depot. Both are appliance dealers, but only Brad is in the appliance business.

There are a lot of people who sell things strictly to make money. They don't know much about what they sell, aren't qualified to deal with it beyond selling it, and often cut corners just like your average scammer.

Many of the guys who call themselves "safe companies" in my area are actually just "safe retailers". We both sell safes, but only I have the vetted manpower, equipment, licensing, insurance, etc. to deal with safes. That's why somebody who buys a safe from them has me deliver it.

This doesn't just apply to my industry. I'm amazed at how many people will hire somebody to do work, usually based on price alone, and do absolutely zero due diligence when it comes to who they let inside their home. I am rarely asked to provide proof of insurance, but I am insured. The other guy doing it for half as much as I am? They don't ask him either, and he's not.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15712 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
Yep, some "companies" are just plain short staffed.

Others may confuse "safe moving" with "moving safely".

That is a big safe!

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

If he doesn't mind me using him as an example, how about Appliance Brad vs. Home Depot. Both are appliance dealers, but only Brad is in the appliance business.

There are a lot of people who sell things strictly to make money. They don't know much about what they sell, aren't qualified to deal with it beyond selling it, and often cut corners just like your average scammer.

Many of the guys who call themselves "safe companies" in my area are actually just "safe retailers". We both sell safes, but only I have the vetted manpower, equipment, licensing, insurance, etc. to deal with safes. That's why somebody who buys a safe from them has me deliver it.

This doesn't just apply to my industry. I'm amazed at how many people will hire somebody to do work, usually based on price alone, and do absolutely zero due diligence when it comes to who they let inside their home. I am rarely asked to provide proof of insurance, but I am insured. The other guy doing it for half as much as I am? They don't ask him either, and he's not.

Wise words.

When we replaced our safes, we went to a business that only dealt with safes. Somewhat more expensive, but worth it. More knowledgeable than the box stores and we were able to arrange delivery and install with them and not have to go to a 3rd party.

Posts: 7017 | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted Hide Post
UPDATE:
I ended up buying a Champion Trophy 42 safe with a La Gard electronic lock. The safe has a high gloss black finish.
A Gun shop had it as a floor model so I bought it at a good price. I actually dealt with Champions regional distributor for delivery and installation.
The delivery charge for the 1000# safe was $300.

It has a very good fire rating that is what my main objective was.

Posts: 4622 | Location: Chicago, IL, USA: | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post