Find
Notify
Tools

Safe moving Login/Join 
Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted
After reading the recent posts on safes I decided I should get one.

I found a model at Costco, Big Horn made by Rhino (Ultimate 47cu ft. 71"x44"x26" mdl.UAB7144EX).
It weighs 990 pounds'
Costco will deliver to the door but no further.
I called a heavy equipment mover and explained that I had 4 steps up going into the house (concrete, a step then a 4' slab then another step and slab x4).
I then had 5 steps down into the basement (regular wood steps).
The mover quoted me $1000 for the move. He then thought he could do it for $900.
This seemed high to me.

For those that have had this done, what did you pay for this service(no installation only move to basement level).

Posts: 4609 | Location: Chicago, IL, USA: | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
I have moved my own safe 3 times by myself. I use tools and devices. It can be done with patience and planning. I don't know your specific circumstances, but for 900.00, I'll take my time and figure it out.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29608 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
crazy heart
Picture of mod29
posted Hide Post
$1,000 for that simple move is crazy.

I've had my gun safe professionally moved a few times from residence to residence. It was around $400.
This was a local gun safe retailer that specializes in gun safes, both selling and moving them.

Posts: 1779 | Location: WA | Registered: January 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Golf balls.

Q

Posts: 26204 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
This Space for Rent
Picture of ugeesta
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^. Golf balls under the safe work pretty good. Especially on carpet.

Can also rent a refrigerator dolly and a couple strong backs for less.

We will never know world peace, until three people can simultaneously look each other straight in the eye

Liberals are like pussycats and Twitter is Trump's laser pointer to keep them busy while he takes care of business - Rey HRH.

Posts: 5746 | Location: Colorado | Registered: April 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
When I moved out of the country for work, I could not bring my guns because they were too fun for Canada. My Dad agreed allow me to have a gun safe put in his basement. I bought from an actual safe store w/ SAVTA techs, and they delivered the safe 1 hour, took it up 2 steps to get in the house, took it down a flight of stairs, set the combo, hooked up the golden rod, and taught my Dad how to use it. All of that cost $250 in 4th quarter 2014.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23101 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I made it so far,
now I'll go for more
Picture of rbert0005
posted Hide Post
Get a safe dealer to do it.

They have stair climbers, usually.

Bob

I am no expert, but think I am sometimes.

Posts: 4578 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: January 23, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jbcummings
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rbert0005:
Get a safe dealer to do it.

They have stair climbers, usually.

Bob

I'd agree with this. I bought a discounted Liberty (because it was last year's model no less) from Gander Mountain. The local safe moving company charged me $200 plus $50 for bolting it down with hockey pucks for spacers. They put it on their stair walker to get it over the threshold then put down moving blankets with a slick sheet of some kinda of polymer underneath. Basically they pulled/pushed the safe using the blankets as a pad on the polymer sheets through the house to it's destination. Took them all of 15 minutes to get it in the house and into position. Another 15 to bolt it down. Saved me a ton of misery.

———-
Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for thou art crunchy and taste good with catsup.

Posts: 4306 | Location: DFW | Registered: May 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I paid about $250 to have mine picked up at the retailer, delivered to my home 15 miles away and set in my office. No stairs but within reason I don't think it mattered to them.
I'd seek a recommendation from a local safe store or Bass Pro type store. They usually have some connections.

Posts: 1950 | Location: Indiana or Florida depending on season  | Registered: March 18, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
Here in St. Louis we would charge $284. Prices do vary from one part of the country to another.

Please don't use golf balls to move your safe up or down stairs. Big Grin

Another forum member had a family member killed when a "safe dealer" dropped a safe on him. Do not hire a mover, and do not hire a safe dealer.

Hire an actual safe company that is properly equipped, trained, staffed, and most importantly insured.

I would call Fink Safe & Lock. Their number is 773-486-2030. If they are too high or not interested, they should be able to point you towards somebody capable.

quote:
I'd seek a recommendation from a local safe store or Bass Pro type store. They usually have some connections.

I would avoid the Nick Of Times, or Anything Heavy guys you'll find in the area that advertise safe moving.

Some of these big box stores "have guys", but they have made zero effort to vet them prior to giving out their numbers. Most would assume that if a big company used them that they would be in good hands, but this is not the case.

Due diligence. You have to do it, because Cabela's will not. Wink

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15695 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:
I called a heavy equipment mover

I suspect this is the only mistake you made, and what yielded the huge number!

quote:
Another forum member had a family member killed when a "safe dealer" dropped a safe on him. Do not hire a mover, and do not hire a safe dealer.

You can bet your sweet bippy that if I'm paying someone to move a safe, I'm staying out of the radius of it at all times until it's sitting squarely in place.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12350 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
I had mine moved 1500 lbs. from old house to new. No steps but a grass incline hill and a sloped driveway to get to the basements.
They specialized in moving pianos and safes and charged $325.
When I bought the safe it was delivered for $50. A couple of firefighters had a side job delivering safes but got out of the business between the time I bought the safe and moved.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25355 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hire a safe moving company.

When I bought my safe (3000 pounds) I picked it up about 100 miles away. I hired a safe mover to load it on to a trailer (and another company to move it into my home). When he arrived he told me a story about a guy trying to save a few hundred bucks moving a safe just like mine. For free beer, he got a bunch of friends to help. While maneuvering the safe it fell and amputated a leg.

990 pounds wouldn't be too bad on flat ground using pipes but stairs are a different story. I'll bet you can get it moved for a few hundred or less if you call safe movers.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: AZSIGness,

Posts: 134 | Location: Southern Arizona | Registered: September 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Team Apathy
posted Hide Post
I occasionally help out moving safes for local gun and safe dealer (not a gun dealer that sells safes). He'd charge about $250 for that, I think. Maybe less as it's not a lot of steps (the steps going up are no biggie). Wouldn't be much hassle at all as the electric dolly does the heavy work.

Posts: 6354 | Location: Modesto, CA | Registered: January 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Our home rebuild is about done and we are getting 4 safes moved in. Insurance is footing the bill but cost is going to be about 1K.

Posts: 7011 | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post

Posts: 23244 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici
Picture of ChuckFinley
posted Hide Post
As A1 mentioned, LINK: death by dropped safe

Not only was he killed, but his nuclear family is completing the process of being destroyed in the wake of his death. His wife has lost it, and is selling all their property at losses, and there is no end in sight for how this will play out for her. His children are now barely on speaking terms with each other and wounds have been inflicted that will last decades.

Have someone do it who will do it right, and stay the hell out of the way, no matter what.

I don't see why you can't get it done for less than $1K, but any of his family members would gladly pay that to have him back now.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." -- C.S. Lewis

Posts: 5643 | Location: District 12 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Master-at-Arms
Picture of apf383
posted Hide Post
Moved my 750+ pounder with a borrowed powered hand truck stair climber device, and two friends. I was able to remove the door, which lightened it I imagine by prob. 200 lbs as well. Dont forget the spacers beneath. Good luck.

Foster's, Australian for Bud

Posts: 7489 | Location: Stuck in NY, FUAC  | Registered: November 22, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
It's been my experience when someone quotes you an outrageous price it means they really don't want to do it.

Move on and keep looking.

Good luck to you.

Posts: 11812 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Maybe check a local safe dealer to see how much they charge for the safe including delivery and installation in your house.
The great price from Costco may be not look so great when you include delivery inside.

Posts: 9456 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post