SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Amazon shipping going down hill
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Amazon shipping going down hill Login/Join 
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SIGnified:
Here (close to AMZN HQ) they often use private couriers (not UPS, or FEDEX or USPS) for local deliveries and yes, 100% it's getting worse and worse - missing delivery deadlines by 10 days or more. Mad

Prime is almost a waste at this point.

I was working in one of their hubs today. I saw a steady stream of Corollas, Trecels, Civics, and old ass mini vans driving through and picking up deliveries. I asked an employee what was up with it, they were all private curriers, I'm guessing it works something like Uber, normal people running deliveries in their free time.

The set up was pretty impressive, 50,000 sq ft and currently expanding. Here's a picture from one of their warehouses there, there were several in the one location.

Pretty impressive for just one of the ones near me. This one was in Springfield VA. Some of the employees were wearing shirts touting 1 hr delivery. Eek

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20821 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
No problems to report here. I last ordered something the week before last and they did what they were supposed to. Some of my orders have come by UPS, others by USPS. Now, the ThinOptics I ordered that are being shipped by DHL? I'll let you know.

Posts: 27951 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
I've had Prime for a number of years now and have maybe 2 1 day late deliveries and 1 lost item. This while getting 2-3 deliveries a week, so no complaints by me. $99 is cheap considering all of the benefits including free video and music. I also have an Amazon Visa that pays back 5% on all purchases from them. I'd be an idiot to give up all of that because of a couple late deliveries.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Free radical
scavenger
Picture of rh
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mikeyspizza:
Maybe at some point Amazon will have it's own package delivery company (vertical integration).

United Airlines may be having some jets to sell to Jeff Bezos as part of this vertical integration. Smile

Posts: 1140 | Registered: April 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Free radical
scavenger
Picture of rh
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
How is changing your merchant of choice going to change the issues with the courier, it's not Amazon doing the delivery, if UPS/USPS is having issues with a driver/route it's the courier.

If you buy something that is "Fulfilled by Amazon", that means the item is in one of Amazon's fulfillment centers. Amazon handles shipping and customer service. If you buy from others sellers at potentially lower prices not fulfilled by Amazon, that's pretty much like buying something on eBay. One reason you might want to buy from another seller is to avoid paying sales tax with the risk of encountering a former seller who practically begged me to get him kicked off Amazon. (Tip for stupid sellers: do not insult customers for your incorrect listing in monitored email and then later criticize Amazon in email.)

Since I have had such success with fulfillment by Amazon, I nearly always chose that option if it is available. Jeff Bezos / Amazon can often find a way to avoid paying sales tax even when they fulfill the order. For example, I could buy this Galco Concealable Belt Holster for Sig-Sauer P226, P220 for $95.16 tax free with two day shipping. Or I could pay $89.99 for the same holster from "Woods & Water Inc." with an advertised delivery date of April 21-26.

That example might explain our mixed experiences with Amazon Prime. Or maybe Amazon just has room for improvement. Whatever the case, I see that I placed 139 orders with Amazon in 2016 and 44 more orders so far in 2017, and I haven't had any serious or chronic delivery problems.

OT hah! I just found this in my Saved for later "gag" gift list.

Free radical
scavenger
Picture of rh
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SIGnified:
Here (close to AMZN HQ) they often use private couriers (not UPS, or FEDEX or USPS) for local deliveries and yes, 100% it's getting worse and worse - missing delivery deadlines by 10 days or more. Mad

Prime is almost a waste at this point.

There was an article in the Wall Street somewhat less than a year ago about Amazon moving away from UPS. That would make economic sense in a metropolitan area. Based upon your report, Amazon is having some problems working out the kinks, even in Seattle (which is surprising). So while living at the beginning of nowhere, I get two day canned beans and canned tomatoes via UPS, and you get AmazonFresh produce and Amazon Booze.

Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
According to this article if you contact Amazon about your late package you get your subscription extended a month for free. Up to 12 times a year.
http://thekrazycouponlady.com/...ly-didnt-know-about/

Must be new. I got 2 $5 music/video credits for my late packages.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25421 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
My "stuff" isn't here on time. I'm gonna set the building on fire!

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12630 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
A couple of years ago, Amazon started using some third rate delivery service that was completely incompetent.

The last straw was a package that was delivered to the wrong house four times before I had to call and arrange to meet their driver at the local police station because they were not able to find my house.

Luckily, there was a thread about these people on an Amazon forum. The OP of that thread had managed to connect with someone at Amazon who flagged his account so that all his deliveries had to be made by UPS.

He posted the number of Amazon staffer. I called her. After I explained my experience, she flagged my account so that my deliveries were UPS-only as well. I had no problems after that.

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6403 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jus228:
My local usps delivers prime stuff quickly and efficiently pretty much all the time. Zero complaints.

Same here. Since Amazon started using the Post Office, a lot of my packages now come with my mail, but they still get here on time.

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6403 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BurtonRW:
They have poor control and vetting of their Marketplace merchants. Bait & switch or straight up knock-off products are more and more common. Amazon is slow to react to reviews or complaints that expose them, too!

Agree with this too.

I used to simply assume Amazon had the best price. Now, I price shop with other online merchants before buying.

I'm also reluctant to buy anything from their third party merchants. As BurtonRW says, some of these merchants are selling counterfeit merchandise and some are flat out crooks. Amazon might say that they are only acting as an exchange, but most consumers don't make that distinction. IMO, if Amazon doesn't start doing a better job policing these third party merchants, ripped off consumers will blame them.

God will always provide
Picture of Fla. Jim
posted Hide Post
Well I’ve also had the two day offered delivery take longer. Yesterday I ordered a replacement coffee non spill Stanly model to replace my much beat up unit. It had to be in stock locally because at the time I ordered,9am I was quoted a nighttime delivery of 4-5 am delivery if I ordered in 10 hrs and 27 minutes. It arrived at 5:45 am !!!!! As I knew it was coming the time didn’t bother me too much. And as they didn’t ring the doorbell it was a good thing. I guess they are now running a night crew to decrease the local on hand stuff from the regular daily load.

Posts: 4410 | Location: White City, Florida | Registered: January 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
Well, this thread is over 5 years old, but as long as it has been resurrected:

This is the first year I’ve noticed poor shipping. Amazon sat on every single order for 2-3 days before shipping them to our house in Northern Michigan. Once the tracking said shipped, the order would show up 2 days later. For example, I ordered fuel pump on Sunday. The tracking finally changed to shipped today and it’s supposed to be here tomorrow.

Posts: 10938 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post