SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Amazon shipping going down hill
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Amazon shipping going down hill Login/Join 
Music's over turn
out the lights
Picture of David W
posted Hide Post
The other day was the first time my shipments took longer than 2 days.

David W.

Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud. -Sophocles

Posts: 3642 | Location: Winston Salem, N.C. | Registered: May 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rh:
It's not clear if the OP was referring to Amazon's free shipping or the "pre-paid free" Amazon Prime service, ...

Exactly.

We used to take advantage of Amazon's free shipping whenever feasible. It was great, at first. Little difference between free and standard. That did not last for long. Got to the point I wouldn't use it any more.

We signed up for Prime a year ago or so. Prime has been nearly flawless. I think they've missed maybe once? And delivered early a couple times.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fool for the City
Picture of MRMATT
posted Hide Post
I signed up for "Prime." The last two shipments both took longer than two days. I cancelled "Prime."

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." George Washington.

Posts: 5292 | Location: Pottstown, PA | Registered: April 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Why don’t you fix your little
problem and light this candle
Picture of redstone
posted Hide Post
I have been a member for around 8 years. We love it. My USPS guy delivers most of it but ups handles some as well. We have not had a problem.

This business will get out of control. It will get out of control and we'll be lucky to live through it. -Rear Admiral (Lower Half) Joshua Painter Played by Senator Fred Thompson

Posts: 3591 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alienator
Picture of SIG4EVA
posted Hide Post
If you aren't paying for prime, it's hard to complain about them offering free shipping and it not being the same as paying for it. I've had prime for close to 10 years and even with USPS I've only had 1-3 late or messed up shipments. When that occurs, I chat with customer service and they give you an extra month of membership. Win-win for me.

SIG556 Classic
P220 Carry SAS Gen 2 SAO
SP2022 9mm German Triple Serial
P938 SAS
P365 FDE

Psalm 118:24 "This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it"

Posts: 7071 | Location: NC | Registered: March 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
Maybe at some point Amazon will have it's own package delivery company (vertical integration).

Posts: 4010 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
bigger government
= smaller citizen
Picture of Veeper
posted Hide Post
Once in a while my two day free shipping turns into 4 because it spends 2 days in the "preparing for shipping" limbo.

This is even after I choose a prime vendor/seller.

It's quite odd. Does the box have a cure time? Heh.

“The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it.”—H.L. Mencken

Posts: 9159 | Location: West Michigan | Registered: April 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wow, I must not be living right! For me, Amazon sucks and UPS can't find my house anymore. And USPS has started to function properly.

I placed what became several orders on Thursday, April 6. Nothing shipped until Monday, April 10. It may get to the USPS facility today, or not. I have had other orders that didn't ship for over 10 days. I am an Amazon Prime member

UPS has been delivering things to my address for 25 years. Suddenly, they can't find me! UPS has returned three orders to the shippers so far this year. FedEx works fine.

I am going to Walmart more often now, I like their on line ordering system.

----------------------------------------------------
Dances with Crabgrass

Posts: 2183 | Location: East Virginia | Registered: October 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Made from a
different mold
Picture of mutedblade
posted Hide Post
Like a few others, I have no issues when UPS is the only one involved. FedEx is a crap shoot, and USPS is a freaking disaster, though they do deliver on the weekends (both days for Amazon), so there is that. Overall, I love my Amazon Prime membership and any time I have a problem, they make it right PDQ. The only annoyance is that I have to be a little more selective and pay attention to reviews of items and who is selling because of the marketplace bullshit. Amazon needs to crack down hard on fake items and those that sell them.

Posts: 2832 | Location: Lake Anna, VA | Registered: May 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Seotaji
posted Hide Post
I'm having the same issue. USPS amazon deliveries are all a day later than they should be with the carrier marking the package as undeliverable due to address, except the packages are always marked correctly.

Posts: 6917 | Registered: February 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Free radical
scavenger
Picture of rh
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Veeper:
Once in a while my two day free shipping turns into 4 because it spends 2 days in the "preparing for shipping" limbo.

Outside of Holiday Seasons, that's hasn't happened to me. But if does happen, bitch about it, and they'll give you a cookie.

(My "Cool Hand Luke" reference in a previous post was a very different situation.)

Posts: 1140 | Registered: April 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
quote:
It's not clear if the OP was referring to Amazon's free shipping or the "pre-paid free" Amazon Prime service, ...

When I said "free" I meant I have Amazon Prime so while I pay a yearly fee I don't have to pay shipping every time I order something.

The issue seems to be more with the secondary shippers Amazon is using in my area. The ones you see in the white vans with a Amazon sticker/magnet.

Ever shipping problem I can remember has been with them and not USPS or UPS.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16399 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BurtonRW:
They have poor control and vetting of their Marketplace merchants. Bait & switch or straight up knock-off products are more and more common. Amazon is slow to react to reviews or complaints that expose them, too!

I think this is at the root of most of their issues and I agree they better get this under control. Most people shopping don't realize/expect the variability of an eBay transaction when they start out at amazon.com, but if you don't pay attention to the sellers you're buying from, you may well do so.

Ultimately this will just piss off more and more "casual" shoppers relying on the AMZN experience.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12417 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
How is changing your merchant of choice going to change the issues with the courier, it's not Amazon doing the delivery, if UPS/USPS is having issues with a driver/route it's the courier.

Posts: 23457 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
Here (close to AMZN HQ) they often use private couriers (not UPS, or FEDEX or USPS) for local deliveries and yes, 100% it's getting worse and worse - missing delivery deadlines by 10 days or more. Mad

Prime is almost a waste at this point.

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
blame canada
Picture of AKSuperDually
posted Hide Post
A timely post as I just received notification from Amazon that my whole bundle of items that I paid $12.99 per item for (on top of prime membership), about a dozen items total....is delayed.

I've been battling to get supplied for an upcoming job with items I can't get on the local economy (special gps' and cameras, etc)....and I paid the extra shipping to ensure that the items arrive on time. I did it because since USPS has taken over primary shipment carrier for prime items, we've noticed that the free prime items are taking 1-2 weeks just to leave the warehouse, and another 2-3 business days to arrive after that. I've got dozens of orders that are going on week 3 right now of waiting to arrive. Many haven't even shipped yet.

FedEX is really screwing the pooch right now. I'll be filing for refunds of over $120 in shipping costs tomorrow.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The trouble with our Liberal friends...is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." Ronald Reagan, 1964
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Arguing with some people is like playing chess with a pigeon. It doesn't matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon will just take a shit on the board, strut around knocking over all the pieces and act like it won.. and in some cases it will insult you at the same time." DevlDogs55, 2014 Big Grin

www.rikrlandvs.com

Posts: 13957 | Location: On the mouth of the great Kenai River | Registered: June 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
blame canada
Picture of AKSuperDually
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
How is changing your merchant of choice going to change the issues with the courier, it's not Amazon doing the delivery, if UPS/USPS is having issues with a driver/route it's the courier.
Honestly the large issue lately is that the item doesn't even leave the warehouse for several days. The courier is only part of the problem.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The trouble with our Liberal friends...is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." Ronald Reagan, 1964
"Arguing with some people is like playing chess with a pigeon. It doesn't matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon will just take a shit on the board, strut around knocking over all the pieces and act like it won.. and in some cases it will insult you at the same time." DevlDogs55, 2014 Big Grin

www.rikrlandvs.com

Posts: 13957 | Location: On the mouth of the great Kenai River | Registered: June 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 71 TRUCK:
I live less than 5 miles from a brand new Amazon distribution center. My delivery's are done as far as I can tell by a private delivery company. They drive unmarked white vans. They may work directly for Amazon.
I live near an Amazon distribution center as well. I've also noticed the unmarked white vans. Additionally, one thing they implemented was an Uber-like network of part-time delivery drivers using their own vehicle. IME, both are better than Houston UPS (mainly used for shipping from a warehouse in another region).

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23257 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of billnchristy
posted Hide Post
They have failed me many times lately too.

One was priority mailing a prime order from ca to ga. Come on dude, nothing is making that trip in 2 days without an airplane.

------------------------------------
My books on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/William-...id=1383531982&sr=8-1
email if you'd like auto'd copies.

Posts: 17916 | Location: Lawrenceville GA | Registered: April 15, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AKSuperDually:
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
Honestly the large issue lately is that the item doesn't even leave the warehouse for several days. The courier is only part of the problem.

yup

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post