SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Big bro doing route recon for sis (again, now Chicago)
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Big bro doing route recon for sis (again, now Chicago) Login/Join 
Fonky Honky
Picture of wildheartedson0105
posted
Previous thread for Detroit. Many thanks for the advice, though she didn't go to the game.

Sis is planning a flight to Texas in June. Seems some flights are cheaper out of Midway compared to Mitchell in Milwaukee or O'Hare. Midway is South/Southwest side, inside of I294. Sketchy area (sorry natives, but it is southside, in June)? She asked if I would drive down with her and pick up. Any info you can share?

Last time down that way was a dozen years ago to tow a car from Harvey back to Milwaukee. Very interesting experience.

Don't back up, don't back down.

Posts: 3413 | Location: Badger, Badger, Badger! | Registered: October 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wildheartedson0105:
Any info you can share?

Don't go and say you did... ? Big Grin

Posts: 10052 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Security Sage
Picture of striker1
posted Hide Post
Midway itself is fine. If just dropping off and picking up, no issue.

The neighborhoods east of Midway are a little dicey, but you won't be touring them anyway.

RB

Cancer fighter (Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma) since 2009, now fighting Diffuse Large B-Cell Lymphoma.

Posts: 7133 | Location: Michiana | Registered: March 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sounds like Striker knows Chicago. Spot on advice. Take 294 south to I55,go east on I55 and get off at either Central or Cicero and go south (right turn when exiting I55).

Posts: 5742 | Location: Chicago | Registered: August 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Funny Man
Picture of TXJIM
posted Hide Post
Plug "Midway Airport" into Google Maps and follow the directions. After you drop her off reverse the directions. Stay on the highways and off the side streets, make sure you gas up before you leave to avoid unplanned stops. Any further planning is an exercise in paranoia.

Posts: 7093 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: June 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
IIRC, if you have a valid permit you can carry as long as you stay in your car.

Posts: 15907 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
It has been more than thirty years since I left the Chicago area, but back then I kept my airplane based at Midway, and I worked as an instructor at an instrument flight school there, so I was at Midway almost every day.

I don't know what it's like now, but then, normal routes that people with business at Midway would use, perfectly safe. Local area close to the airport, restaurants, lodging, etc., as safe as any large city.

Moving out away from the airport vicinity, stick to the highways, don't go exploring the neighborhoods. Used to be some pockets of middle European inhabitants, close-knit but not a threat. Other ethnic areas, not so good. But if you're just taking a passenger to the airport you have no need to go through the neighborhoods, the Stevenson Expressway, I-55, is very close to the airport.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30647 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Resident Knuckledragger
Picture of IndyRob
posted Hide Post
The neighborhood just west of the airport is fine and full of city workers. As long as you stay on Cicero you shouldn't have any problems with anyone. Once you go North of 51st Street it gets dicey, same as East of Cicero although the streets between Cicero and Pulaski aren't too bad.

There's lots of good eats on Archer Avenue, everything from Mexican to Polish to Italian.

Posts: 7358 | Location: Greater Indianapolis Area | Registered: October 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fonky Honky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Excam_Man:
quote:
Originally posted by wildheartedson0105:
Any info you can share?

Don't go and say you did... ? Big Grin

Sheeit. I'd happily pay the difference for her to fly out of MKE to avoid an intrastate drive to save a few bucks on her part.

Definite understanding regarding not straying from the path, or fuel (half tank is empty). Thanks for the advice, gents. I appreciate it!

Posts: 3413 | Location: Badger, Badger, Badger! | Registered: October 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fonky Honky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TXJIM:
Plug "Midway Airport" into Google Maps and follow the directions.

I've been with her when she "drives by GPS" and it was a riot ("exit here?"..."yes" (hold on)) I learned years ago from towing cars in and out of the 'hood, or at certain times of the day due to traffic, that the direct route isn't necessarily the best.

She just got back from NM, and I told her about "death by GPS" prior to leaving.

Paranoid? Naw. Just well prepared. I don't like to wing it.

Picture of lugerguards
posted Hide Post
Midway Airport and the path too and from is fine. Travel in confidence. If you decide to get adventuresome let me know, I can make several food recommendations in the "safer" off path direction.

Shawn

Nothing here to see!

Posts: 1865 | Location: Will County, Illinois | Registered: October 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post