SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    TENS Units: Does anyone have first hand experience with home units
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

TENS Units: Does anyone have first hand experience with home units Login/Join 
I'm not laughing
WITH you
Picture of Rolan_Kraps
posted
I have used them as part of Rehab for different things, but my wife has Sciatica and has asked for one.

Does anyone use them? Are they worth it? Which ones do you use?

I looked at the Quell units but they don't get very good reviews.

Rolan Kraps
SASS Regulator
Gainesville, Georgia.
NRA Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol / Personal Protection Inside the Home

Posts: 23577 | Location: Gainesville, GA | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Not sure of brand, but I have one. It provides relief sometimes, not always. Not a bad tool to have in the toolbox, but not a panacea.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20758 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
ETA: beat by a minute.

I have used them and occasionally still use them.

Some people get far better relief than I did. It did very little for the chronic pain. It is useful for overloading cramped muscles that is spazzing themselves into being iron hard. it does some relief mostly because your body just responds to being electrocuted on a small scale.

Is it the solution know that it is a tool in the tool box of a person with long-term chronic pain.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31382 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
It provides relief sometimes, not always. Not a bad tool to have in the toolbox, but not a panacea.
This - we have a couple of the small units in the zip up bag.

Depending on the ailment, they can help a bit, often with ice, but it takes some trial and error to figure out the settings that work for a particular strain / pain.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
My wife has fibro and has used one on and off for years. She really liked the first one but the company that made it closed. The new one she has show doesn't like as much.

Her suggestion was try to get one through the doctor and insurance if you can and if you cannot them go to a walgreens or CVS and just pick a type and see if it works for her.

Basically I guess the advice is that results are mixed and you probably won't know until you have her try.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15249 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If anything they are really fun to play with when you’re drinking with your buddies

Posts: 3369 | Registered: December 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have one that I purchased from Amazon a few years ago to help with my knee pain from surgery and from injuries. It helped me and I recommend it. God Bless Smile

"Always legally conceal carry. At the right place and time, one person can make a positive difference."

Posts: 3057 | Location: Sector 001 | Registered: October 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of adobesig
posted Hide Post
Been very helpful for my busted up body. Loaned it to a couple of friens that say so too.

https://smile.amazon.com/Santa...300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

Posts: 1088 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: November 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sig Forum Smart-Ass
Picture of Rotndad
posted Hide Post
I was prescribed both a tens unit and muscle stimulator after a car accident several years ago. I used them alternatively and they did seem to help. I can send them up "north"Big Grin to you to borrow if you'd like to "try it before you buy it". I'll happily answe any questions you or Bea Itchin if you like.

Email sent.

Dripping water hollows out stone, not through force, but through persistence.
-Ovid

NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Basic Pistol Instructor

Posts: 10192 | Location: Land O Lakes, FLA | Registered: June 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
quote:
It provides relief sometimes, not always. Not a bad tool to have in the toolbox, but not a panacea.
This - we have a couple of the small units in the zip up bag.

Depending on the ailment, they can help a bit, often with ice, but it takes some trial and error to figure out the settings that work for a particular strain / pain.
+2.

I've had one for several years with similar experience. I recommend downloading the user manual and save to the cloud. I lost mine and it took over an hour to find the manual online several years later. I was a having a problem in an area of the back I hadn't previously had a problem and the manual was helpful on pad position.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23102 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have this one. You can run EIGHT pads at once. It's an awesome product.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/prod...ilpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

May our caskets be made of hundred-year oak, and may we plant those trees tomorrow.

Posts: 811 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: January 03, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 226Reasons
posted Hide Post
I have one but I dont use it anymore, but I probably should start up again. It did help when I used to use it, amazing how strong it could be on a 9v battery. Now to find it.

Posts: 1327 | Location: TN | Registered: March 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mine works miracles for me when I use it for my back. Don't buy one, I will send you one of mine to see if it works.

"Once abolish the God, and the Government becomes the God." --- G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 3856 | Location: WNY | Registered: April 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
When I was in engineering school I was in a vehicle accident - rear ended by a truck trying to drive through a red light

I ended up getting a TENS unit with two pads for my neck

it worked great - set it on low pulse and I could feel it working - - kept my neck from completely locking up

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53086 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SigSentry
posted Hide Post
i have one of these. Picked up years ago 2nd hand.

Muscle stims sure are getting fancy.

https://www.amazon.com/PowerDo...&smid=A3RDJO4WR9IIU6

Posts: 3484 | Registered: May 30, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
I don’t think they are indicated for nerve issues like sciatica. But they are pretty handy for tired, cramped muscle aches. Works well with heat.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12683 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
It’s hit or miss with mine. My back was broken and I’m fused in two places. Sometimes it helps with sciatica. I’d buy one on amazon with good reviews, can’t hurt.

"Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway." Steve McQueen...

Posts: 6997 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
I have the over-the-counter Aleve unit which is inexpensive and easy to use. I think it helps for muscle spasm, but it doesn’t help my spinal stenosis pain.
I doubt it will help with sciatica, that is not muscle-related.
However will not hurt to try it AFAIK.

Posts: 18018 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My wife uses a Tens unit regularly. When her EMPI unit finally died it was replaced by Kaiser with an "Impulse TENS D5" made by BioMedical Life Systems, Vista, CA. Kaiser studies these things to death; with their large membership base they cannot afford to supply or recommend second rate equipment. This unit operates on two AA alkaline batteries.

Posts: 2160 | Location: Clark County, WA | Registered: December 06, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of heisrizn
posted Hide Post
My wife has 6 bulging discs in lower, degenerative bone desease, sculliosis, and lots of nerve issues from the chemo due to hodgekins lymphoma.

If we can prevent the muscle inflammation from contorting the spine alligmment, the sciatica is somewhat mitigated.

Inversion can help.

Tens units? Yes, this:

WiTouch Pro Wireless Bluetooth TENS - Includes 6 Gel Pads (3 Pairs of gel pads) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B076...cp_apa_HZdsBbJNDVZ77

Posts: 1549 | Location: Fayetteville, NC | Registered: April 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post