SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Get well soon mrmn50
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Get well soon mrmn50 Login/Join 
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
Hey Hal -- quit screwing around and just get better, OK?

Pneumonia is not to be taken lightly. Take care of yourself, please.

If I were within reasonable distance I'd bring you a large container of my homemade chicken soup, but since I'm not that close, here's my recipe:
  • One medium-to-large onion, sliced.

• Couple cloves fresh garlic, slice. More if you like (I use more)

• Half dozen stalks of celery cut into 1/4 inch slices

• A pound or two of carrots, sliced. For my taste, there's no such thing as "too many carrots in this soup," so I tend to go heavy on the carrots.

• A large handful, maybe two, fresh parsley leaves. Strip them, discard the "twigs," and chop the leaves.
Put all of the above in a crockpot, then add a couple pounds of chicken. You can use a whole chicken (cut it into sections) or when I'm feeling lazy, I just buy a package of thighs if I want flavor, or skinless breasts if I want less fat. Plenty of kosher salt, and some pepper, per your taste.

Pour in two quart-size cartons of chicken broth or stock. Pick regular, fat-free, low sodium, whatever you prefer.

I usually do this first thing when I wake up, early in the morning. Turn the crockpot on "high" while I go about my morning business, preparing breakfast for wife and me, taking shower, getting ready to go to work. Before leaving the house I shift the crockpot to "low" and let it do its thing.

About 15 - 20 minutes prior to dinner, I remove the chicken pieces, let them drain in a colander (I set the colander in a bowl to capture the drained broth which is then returned to the soup). Use a couple of forks to shred the chicken pieces and return them to the soup, minus any bones or other discards.

If you want noodles (I sometimes use egg noodles), add them to the soup at this time and move the crockpot heat setting to "high" for fifteen or twenty minutes to cook the noodles. If you prefer rice to noodles, use your Time Machine to go back to the first stages in the morning and add a cup of rice to the original ingredients.

If you're on a low or no carbohydrate regimen, you can pass on the rice or noodles and on the next step, which is: I pick up a fresh baguette or similar bread on my way home from work.

Dinner is ready when Mrs. V-Tail and I each arrive from different directions. There's plenty to freeze for next week, too.

My recipe for "Jewish penicillin." It is used for any sort of illness in the V-Tail household. It must work, I'm 80 and still upright.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30544 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fortified with Sleestak
Picture of thunderson
posted Hide Post
Take it easy and get well soon!

I have the heart of a lion.......and a lifetime ban from the Toronto Zoo.- Unknown

Posts: 5371 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: November 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
Plenty of rest and get feeling better soon!

Regards, Will G.

Posts: 9660 | Location: 140 mi to Margaritaville, FL | Registered: January 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Hal will kick pneumonia's ass. Cool

Q

Posts: 26203 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
This is my last weekend of rest. I had been ill for a while before Jeff Yarchin became my press agent. Wink

I will never be able to thank you all enough for your kindnesses. But, I will try.

I will be back on a full blown healthy life style on Monday. I hope that that does not kill me.
Thank you again.

Posts: 21829 | Registered: October 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Get better!

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53117 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mrmn50:
This is my last weekend of rest. I had been ill for a while before Jeff Yarchin became my press agent. Wink

I will never be able to thank you all enough for your kindnesses. But, I will try.

I will be back on a full blown healthy life style on Monday. I hope that that does not kill me.
Thank you again.

Good news Hal! Us important people don't interact with the unwashed masses. Your Press Secretary has managed the issue at hand flawlessly, I'd even say Spicer-esque.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20756 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
jeff is a pretty cool guy, isn't he?

Posts: 21829 | Registered: October 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
Glad to hear you're getting better.

Posts: 15001 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post
Good to hear! Feel better!

Do not send me to a heaven where there are no dogs.
Step Up or Stand Aside: Support the Troops !
Expectations are premeditated disappointments.

Posts: 8339 | Location: West | Registered: November 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Loves His Wife
Picture of BRL
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mrmn50:

Thank you again.

Thank God. There is anarchy in the classifieds! Multiple postings, unmarked sold items - end of times shit I tell ya!

I am not BIPOLAR. I don't even like bears.

Posts: 12930 | Location: Western WI | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of downtownv
posted Hide Post
He's a tough ole basturd, he WILL get better!

https://www.teampython.com

Posts: 8318 | Location: 18 miles long, 6 Miles at Sea | Registered: January 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BRL:
Thank God. There is anarchy in the classifieds!

Big Grin

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13386 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post