SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Living amongst hillbillies
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Living amongst hillbillies Login/Join 
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:

...Dumping ones trash by the side of the road exists all over the world. I have heard however that Switzerland and Singapore are quite clean and free of litter.

I've heard the same. Littering and dumping crap along the road is a problem in many areas of the US with some areas in Kentucky and my own WV being among the worst, my question is why? I take notice when riding around the country and have found litter and dumping in many areas, Mississippi being among the worst. But just across the WV border to VA it's not so bad. It doesn't seem to be a problem in Vermont, or Oregon, Washington State, or Utah? I recall riding the White Rim Trail in Utah with a friend and after completing it I asked him "did you notice there was no, I mean ZERO, litter along this 100 mile road/trail? Not a single cigarette butt, beer can, or candy wrapper." It's a mindset.

On a somewhat positive note when I bought my property the 1/2 mile dirt road leading to my driveway always seemed to have litter, mostly Bush Lite cans, along the road. I started picking them and the rest of the litter up, a dozen cans at least once a week. I don't know if it was me doing this or whatever but it has gradually diminished to where I pick up a couple things maybe once every 2-3 weeks.

No car is as much fun to drive, as any motorcycle is to ride.

Posts: 7097 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dean of Law
Picture of heavyd
posted Hide Post
Sounds like home (where I feel up) to me.

H. Dean Phillips
$99 Gun Trusts
https://nfalawyers.com

Posts: 6614 | Location: Georgia | Registered: December 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ridewv:
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:

...Dumping ones trash by the side of the road exists all over the world. I have heard however that Switzerland and Singapore are quite clean and free of litter.

I've heard the same. Littering and dumping crap along the road is a problem in many areas of the US with some areas in Kentucky and my own WV being among the worst, my question is why? I take notice when riding around the country and have found litter and dumping in many areas, Mississippi being among the worst.

I look at people who trash, as more like the Antifa mindset, a bane on society. I hate people who trash. What compels people to toss crap out their car windows or dunp garbage along a beautiful country road?

It that they are Sorry Azzes...that's why.

Recently those sorry azzes have been dunping tires on my property from the road. I don't want someones tires on my property. But guess who has to get them up?

The landfill charges $3 a tire to dispose of them...tire shops..the same. Always in life, responsible people have to clean up sorry azzes mess.

My county is about the most littered area I see. I have traveled to Pocahontas, Monroe, Pendleton, WV, along with Bath and Highland county Virginia, there is some trash, but not like here.

Hillbillies Unite!!! Tell the world you have a undeserved reputation!

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Exceptional Circumstances
Picture of dave7378
posted Hide Post
I see the same shit up here and we don't have "hillbillies". We do have inconsiderate, poorly raised assholes and I assume it is the same everywhere.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 5907 | Location: Hampton Bays, NY | Registered: October 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doubtful...
Picture of TomS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TigerDore:
I would just like to point out that Sgt. Alvin York and Cpl. Desmond Doss, among others, were "hillbillies".

Here's a link to a great book on a fellow from the area I live in. I am acquainted with the author (his daughter) but, wish I could have known him.

https://smile.amazon.com/s?k=h...&ref=nb_sb_ss_i_3_10

Best regards,

Tom

I have no comment at this time.

Posts: 3110 | Location: Coker Creek,TN | Registered: April 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TomS:

Here's a link to a great book on a fellow from the area I live in. I am acquainted with the author...

Thanks for the link, Tom.

Posts: 8621 | Registered: September 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
When in the holler, You just gotta be the hillbilly whisperer. Done right gets you on an episode of Oprah, lol

Posts: 13811 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
On the Jerry Springer show, many years ago, Jerry had some hill folk for guests. It seems that one brother was bangin' the other brother's wife, so the married brother did some really crappy stuff to his brother for revenge.

The two brother sat in chairs on opposite sides of the stage. The brother with the unfaithful wife looked at his brother and said "I wouldn't piss on you if'n you was on far!"

The other brother said "Well, I would wouldn't piss on you if'n you was on far!"

Then, they brought out the uncle of these two guys, representing the disappointment of the family clan in the behavior of the brothers and he said "Jerry, I wouldn't piss on neither one of 'em if'n they was on far!"

In one of the greatest ad libs in TV history, Jerry Springer shook his head and said "Isn't there any other way to put out a fire?"

But they was good people.

Posts: 107571 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^. Not Hillbillies, but speaking of littering.....

Do You Like Hospital Food?

Link to original video: https://youtu.be/3Xgy2wvia5o

Posts: 11840 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If discarded junk in the woods like old appliances and cars bothers you, then never ever move to Alaska.

Posts: 5082 | Location: Alaska | Registered: June 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
I see the sack trash driving by the fast food joints all the time. I get groceries at a grocery store that has a Wendy’s in the same parking lot. People will eat their sack meal in their vehicle then just toss it out the window. I see this driving by many fast food establishments. But there is one caveat, Chik fil A. There is one close to the house and that parking lot is always clean.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12627 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knowing is Half the Battle
Picture of Scuba Steve Sig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fredward:
Pretty tame issues. On the coasts they’re shitting in the streets. Count your blessings.

When living in a "decent" part of the City of St. Louis our neighbor used to house a homeless person in his basement where there was no bathroom. He'd defecate and urinate in the alley by our garage daily and get drunk off $5 vodka. I'm pretty sure the 2nd floor of the house had no running water and the plumbing was shot as the elderly owner ran
a garden hose up the side of the building to the 2nd floor and threw buckets of water out off the deck. I'd take cigarette butts and box springs every day of the week and twice on Sunday over that. Directly behind our house that shared the same alley were million dollar houses in Compton Heights.

We moved and a couple years later the whole attic and roof structure of that neighbor's house burned. Its been like that for 2 1/2 years now, not condemned, still owned by the same guy who probably lives there. Two houses over is a two-family house renovated to a $450,000 single family.

At least there is not much of that stuff going on in Iowa. Littering seems far less of an issue here as well.

Posts: 2516 | Location: Iowa by way of Missouri | Registered: July 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Johnny 3eagles:
You do know there's a difference between hillbilly/redneck and White Trash?

Please, ed-u-ma-kate us!

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18388 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by newmexican:
If discarded junk in the woods like old appliances and cars bothers you, then never ever move to Alaska.

I noticed.

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Prefontaine:
I see the sack trash driving by the fast food joints all the time. I get groceries at a grocery store that has a Wendy’s in the same parking lot. People will eat their sack meal in their vehicle then just toss it out the window. I see this driving by many fast food establishments. But there is one caveat, Chik fil A. There is one close to the house and that parking lot is always clean.
CFA patrons take the food home to eat. (And--maybe--they are just a better class of folks.)

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rburg:
quote:
Originally posted by Johnny 3eagles:
You do know there's a difference between hillbilly/redneck and White Trash?

Please, ed-u-ma-kate us!
Red-necks have old vehicles without wheels on blocks in their front yard; White Trash do the things you wrote about. (But there is "Black Trash", too.)

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Republican in training
Picture of DonDraper
posted Hide Post
What part of KY rburg? I've lived in a few states, there are always various forms of local "hillbillies". Quite a few around me in the Midlands of SC. Lately I think I want to get back to Oldham County KY...

--------------------
I like Sigs and HK's, and maybe Glocks

Posts: 2268 | Location: SC | Registered: March 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
Its interesting that the "Jerry Springer" that Para alluded to was the mayor of Cincinnati, but crossed the river to KY to do is dirt. Yes, he paid a prostitute to peg him where the sun don''t shine, but paid by check that then bounced. But Springer was a Democrat so I guess it doesn't count.

As for the fast food thing, I live about a half mile west of the interstate and a cluster of the restaurants. A fair number of those living west of me walk to town each day. Bet none of you realize that a half mile, give or take, is the distance and time required to finish the bag of MickyD's delightful offerings. And their medium size drink. I live on a corner. Across the side street is a city provided garbage can. Only rarely is it used by the diners that patronize the food joints. They find my yard a much more attractive place. Or not. I've concluded the mindset of the litterers is once the drink, bag, wrapper or whatever is finished, they have no additional use for it. Why burden themselves with that heavy load when they can just dump it instantly? Its too much for them to carry it an additional 100 or so feet. A few years ago I began seeing used (I assume) needles on my lawn, the gutters, whatever. That was too much and I complained to the cops.

While only concerned with their own interests, this time they took it seriously. Marked cars, unmarked cars, you name it. They caught and busted the druggies. Seems one group of open air pharmacy patrons goes to Ohio, makes their purchase, then gets off the road and immediately tests the quality of what they bought. Guess its better for them to vacation in the KY jails than the Ohio ones.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18388 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rburg:

As for the fast food thing, I live about a half mile west of the interstate and a cluster of the restaurants. A fair number of those living west of me walk to town each day. Bet none of you realize that a half mile, give or take, is the distance and time required to finish the bag of MickyD's delightful offerings. And their medium size drink. I live on a corner. Across the side street is a city provided garbage can. Only rarely is it used by the diners that patronize the food joints. They find my yard a much more attractive place. Or not. I've concluded the mindset of the litterers is once the drink, bag, wrapper or whatever is finished, they have no additional use for it. Why burden themselves with that heavy load when they can just dump it instantly? Its too much for them to carry it an additional 100 or so feet. A few years ago I began seeing used (I assume) needles on my lawn, the gutters, whatever. That was too much and I complained to the cops.

A lot of people blame fast food places for trash, which is placing the blame on the wrong group. It just puzzles me why it's so hard to keep the trash in the vehicle and put it in a trash can later. I have about a mile long stretch of road frontage, no homes on either side.

Every day, fast food paper bags tossed out.

Trash tossing trash is why.

美しい犬

Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
Hillbillies pile trash in their yard.

Rednecks pile it in the back of their pickup trucks so it flies out on the Interstate.

White Trash dump anywhere they can do it without getting caught.

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post