SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Living amongst hillbillies
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Living amongst hillbillies Login/Join 
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
Lot rather live among hillbillies than a lot of others I can call to memory!

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25643 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post

My father changed the gear ratio on his Toro riding mower since it was his primary means of getting around outside due to his leg problem.

Then one of the older neighbors saw what was going one and bought a John Deere 18HP riding mower to ride around. He took it on the neighborhood streets until he was cited by the police.

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Telecom Ronin
Picture of dewhorse
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dynorat:
May I respectfully suggest that "hillbillies" is perhaps too broad of a generalization to use to describe the (insert adj.)-trash, meth heads, and scum bags that are dumping garbage in your AO?

Perhaps you are unintentionally using this term derogatorily due to ignorance. When I was in grade school, Webster's defined a hillbilly as a Michigan dirt farmer. My position is much like that of Limblessbiff, and I find my 2A supporting, MAGA voting, hillbilly neighbors and friends to be some of the finest souls on this green earth.

Out here in the sticks it's usually enlightened urban dwelling liberal twits that visit to drop off unwanted furniture, pets, and yard debris that they can't be bothered to recycle, rehome, compost, or dispose of properly.

This ....

Was it a hillbilly, redneck...or a meth/Oxy head / White trash..

They are all not all the same although there can be a lot of overlap depending

Posts: 8301 | Location: Back in NE TX ....to stay | Registered: February 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 41:
On several occasions, I have had the neighbors workers take a dump in my field.

One time the electric power people were putting in new transformers and one of the workers stole my 5 gallon bucket and took a dump in the creek.

I contacted the electric power people and they got me two new buckets. That is the only time I have had things go my way. They were more then sorry that it happened.

Another time I caught Verizon's contractors taking a break and hiding on our private road. They must have been there a long time because there were many cigarette butts on the ground. I made them pick up every one.

Another thing that burns me up are the helium balloons that people buy and then release them with most of them ending up in the trees on my property.

If you find one in silver with the words 'Happy 70th TAC!' on it, that'll be mine. I'd be obliged if you could send it back.

Same way it got to you, of course. Wink

Posts: 11316 | Location: UK, OR, ONT | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Back, and
to the left
Picture of 83v45magna
posted Hide Post
From the drunk lawnmower guy resisting arrest above:

"My wife's gonna kick your ass!"

This is priceless.

I returned, and saw under the sun, that the race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, neither yet bread to the wise, nor yet riches to men of understanding, nor yet favour to men of skill; but time and chance happeneth to them all. -Ecclesiastes 9:11

Posts: 7252 | Location: Dallas | Registered: August 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yokel
Picture of ontmark
posted Hide Post
quote:
May I respectfully suggest that "hillbillies" is perhaps too broad of a generalization to use to describe the (insert adj.)-trash, meth heads, and scum bags that are dumping garbage in your AO?

Perhaps you are unintentionally using this term derogatorily due to ignorance. When I was in grade school, Webster's defined a hillbilly as a Michigan dirt farmer. My position is much like that of Limblessbiff, and I find my 2A supporting, MAGA voting, hillbilly neighbors and friends to be some of the finest souls on this green earth.

Out here in the sticks it's usually enlightened urban dwelling liberal twits that visit to drop off unwanted furniture, pets, and yard debris that they can't be bothered to recycle, rehome, compost, or dispose of properly.

Amen Brother:
I find my 2A supporting, MAGA voting, hillbilly neighbors and friends to be some of the finest souls on this green earth.

Beware the man who only has one gun. He probably knows how to use it! - John Steinbeck

Posts: 3878 | Location: Vallejo, CA | Registered: August 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My former physician who is from rural Missouri described himself as a Hill William. He explained that was the term for an educated hillbilly. He was a down to earth guy.

Dumping ones trash by the side of the road exists all over the world. I have heard however that Switzerland and Singapore are quite clean and free of litter.

Posts: 17226 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
Dumping ones trash by the side of the road exists all over the world. I have heard however that Switzerland and Singapore are quite clean and free of litter.
Touché

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107507 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:

Hillbilly is a derogatory term that only hillbilly’s can use.

You can’t use it but I can. Big Grin

Pall Malls are an aphrodisiac around here.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:
Hillbilly is a derogatory term that only hillbilly’s can use.

You can’t use it but I can. Big Grin

Thank you for the support, Jones. Smile Kind of like "n's" can use the "N" word, but the rest of us can't.

As for the KFC, its all black staffed. I'm guessing its why the manager type had the attitude. I'm not allowed to complain about the slovenly habits of her staff, even though there's no indication that her weekend workers did the dirty deed and not the weekday "workers". And I agree, someone should clean it up, but it's not going to be me.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18387 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fpuhan
posted Hide Post
If you don't live in an elite enclave such as New York, California, Massachusetts or Illinois, then you are, by their definition, a "hillbilly."

You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

NRA Benefactor/Patriot Member

Posts: 2857 | Location: Peoples Republic of North Virginia | Registered: December 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You forgot Virginia!

Posts: 2714 | Registered: March 22, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Charmingly unsophisticated
Picture of AllenInAR
posted Hide Post
I live in an older, middle-class neighborhood. There are a few (maybe six) houses that look a little worse for wear. One I know is an elderly lady. One or two look like someone MIGHT have been cooking meth up in them. My neighbor next door, he keeps his house neat.....except for the back yard.

A couple of weekends ago, I was watching my son's dog while he was at drill. I let Archer out in the evening and saw them burning a couch right on the wood line. And it wasn't even game day.

I'm gonna plant a ton of forsythia right on my property line when I put my house on market, so prospective buyers can't see their 'burn pit'.

The artist formerly known as AllenInWV

Posts: 16188 | Location: Harrison, AR | Registered: February 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post
I would just like to point out that Sgt. Alvin York and Cpl. Desmond Doss, among others, were "hillbillies".

Posts: 8615 | Registered: September 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
I'm with dynorat. As a child I was told that the dictionary definition of "hillbilly" was a resident of northern Michigan.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The 2nd guarantees the 1st
Picture of fiasconva
posted Hide Post
In defense of dumping mattresses and box springs, a lot of landfills will not take they any more or charge a fee to dump them. I don't have much of an explanation for the rest of the but it happens everywhere.

"Even if the world were perfect it wouldn't be." ... Yogi Berra

Posts: 1864 | Location: York County, VA | Registered: August 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
It’s a selfish mindset. You’ll find selfishness across all cultures. It demonstrates differently with each but is equally destructive. May be no woods couches in Chapaqua, but the corrosiveness of selfishness is still there destroying lives.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29684 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
Go down to your local fishing pier and see how they tear that up.

Posts: 4009 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
You do know there's a difference between hillbilly/redneck and White Trash?

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Assault Accountant
Picture of 12GA
posted Hide Post
We call them Woodchucks. Hillbilly’s in these parts don’t dump their trash - they burn it. Wink

Posts: 2583 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: July 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post