SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Mac users, basic question
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mac users, basic question Login/Join 
posted
Due to my employment before retiring I was locked into PC as Mac was not compatible with our system and I needed home access. I am now converting over to Mac and have not figured out how to get back to my base (home) screen on the Safari page. If I am on Mail and there is a link I want to view I click and it pops up on the Safari screen which seems correct but the only way I can get back to the home screen on Safari is to click the little red button, top left, and then bring Safari up from the dock. Is there a way to just clear the screen or is this normal operation?

The “POLICE"
Their job Is To Save Your Ass,
Not Kiss It

The muzzle end of a .45 pretty much says "go away" in any language - Clint Smith

Posts: 2890 | Location: See der Rabbits, Iowa | Registered: June 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of creslin
posted Hide Post
you're just looking for a "home" button in safari?

Right click on the area up top where buttons would be. "customize toolbar"
You can then drag the home button there.

This is where my signature goes.

Posts: 1541 | Location: Kernersville, NC | Registered: June 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
you can click on the icon in the dock and it will pull the safari window to the front

another way is to set your "hot corners" so all open windows become visible and you can select the one you want

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Live today as if it may be your last and learn today as if you will live forever

Posts: 6226 | Location: New Orleans...outside the levees, fishing in the Rigolets | Registered: October 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Vigilante
posted Hide Post
By default the Home button isn't shown on the toolbar. But you can add it.

In the Safari menu bar (top of the screen), go to View -> Customize Toolbar. Then drag the home button to an empty space on the toolbar, like next to the bookmarks button.

Posts: 200 | Registered: January 29, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
I'd suggest you download and install the Google Chrome browser. Safari just isn't that great a browser and you are really limited in how you can customize it.

Posts: 33795 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by summithawk:
By default the Home button isn't shown on the toolbar. But you can add it.

In the Safari menu bar (top of the screen), go to View -> Customize Toolbar. Then drag the home button to an empty space on the toolbar, like next to the bookmarks button.

This got me what I wanted. Thank You! It is a learning curve but so far I am quite happy with my choice to make the change to Mac.

The “POLICE"
Their job Is To Save Your Ass,
Not Kiss It

The muzzle end of a .45 pretty much says "go away" in any language - Clint Smith

Posts: 2890 | Location: See der Rabbits, Iowa | Registered: June 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
Google Chrome is fond of absorbing system resources and "phones home" without your knowledge or permission. Who knows what it is sending to Google.

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5053 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jbcummings
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 4MUL8R:
Google Chrome is fond of absorbing system resources and "phones home" without your knowledge or permission. Who knows what it is sending to Google NSA.

FIFY

———-
Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for thou art crunchy and taste good with catsup.

Posts: 4306 | Location: DFW | Registered: May 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

Also, which I find faster sometimes, is the keyboard shortcut. If your keyboard has a "Home" key (full sized keyboard), then COMMAND-HOME will get you your home screen in Safari. If no "Home" key, then it is COMMAND-SHIFT-H.

Some people like to mouse everything, so may not find this useful. I tend to work with my left hand parked over the lower left corner of the keyboard, where many keyboard shortcuts can be easily entered, and keep my right hand on the mouse (except when I want to type, of course Smile ).

Posts: 10785 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
Yeah... I try not to willingly infect my computer with spyware, so no chrome for me.

I use it at work because I have to and I don't see why people like it so much.

Posts: 21105 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
What's with all the Chrome hate all of a sudden?

If you don't think Safari and all the others are doing it too, then I have a nice bridge to sell you all, nice and cheap.

Posts: 33795 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
What's with all the Chrome hate all of a sudden?

If you don't think Safari and all the others are doing it too, then I have a nice bridge to sell you all, nice and cheap.

You'll get no such hate from me. Partnered with Ad-Blocker, it is all that I use.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12328 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post