SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Adding a puppy to household with an older dog(GermanShepherds) update. Added a picture, Picking her up Sunday
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Adding a puppy to household with an older dog(GermanShepherds) update. Added a picture, Picking her up Sunday Login/Join 
Don't burn
the day away
posted
I have a fantastic 9 year old working line German Shepherd male, I have the opportunity to buy beautiful black working line Shepherd female. She's 5 months old, great pedigree and very even tempered.

They met today and it went well, my male is pretty chill and I didn't see any red flags behaviorally. We want this dog, my 12'year daughter really fell in love with her.

We are active and the male gets on avg 5 miles a day in the woods on runs and this female will join.

Questions I have:
Is the age difference too much?
Will a younger dog possibly keep my older male in better shape as he ages?
We he try to take out given the chance?
Do older dogs show youngsters the ropes so to speak?

Thank you

This message has been edited. Last edited by: liner,

Posts: 2074 | Location: Worcester County, MA  | Registered: December 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by liner:
I have a fantastic 9 year old working line German Shepherd male, I have the opportunity to buy beautiful black working line Shepherd female. She's 5 months old, great pedigree and very even tempered.

They met today and it went well, my male is pretty chill and I didn't see any red flags behaviorally. We want this dog, my 12'year daughter really fell in love with her.

We are active and the male gets on avg 5 miles a day in the woods on runs and this female will join.

Questions I have:
Is the age difference too much?
Will a younger dog possibly keep my older male in better shape as he ages?
We he try to take out given the chance?
Do older dogs show youngsters the ropes so to speak?

Thank you

Dogs, like people, are individuals. Every one is different. With that said, over the years and a lot of dog, generally at least three at the same time, I'll take a stab at your questions:

The age difference is not too much.
A younger dog will usually keep an older young.
Don't understand the third question. If you are asking if he will try to take her out, meaning attack her, probably not. Typically, a male and a female will get along better than two males or two females. Usually (but not always), the younger dog will be the beta and let the older dog be the alpha without any issues. Sometimes the older dog will put the younger dog in his place to show him who is boss, but typically without any blood leakage. We have definitely had the experience of seeing an older alpha who would tolerate absolutely no shit from the rest of the pack put up with a lot from a puppy.
Yes, older dogs show younger ones the ropes, both good and bad habits are taught...

Posts: 6914 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of katndog
posted Hide Post
You are asking great questions. My niece thought I was "over the top" when I followed the advise I received from two internationally known trainers when we added our third dog. Right up until one of her dogs ended up in emergency after a dog fight with another resident dog.

I don't let the dogs play together in the house. And when they play out in the yard and it's getting to be too much, I call them to me and give them a treat. Just keeps it from getting overly crazy. My husband kept telling me the older one would put the younger one in her place, but truthfully he is a softy and probably would let her get away with too much.

My older dog went through a phase where he'd play with his younger sister. As she got bigger, the older dog seemed a little freaked that she could catch him, and he didn't want to play with her. Once her growth stabilized and he knew what to expected from her in terms speed he started playing with her again. Now they play well together - even inside some times. I think she has helped him tremendously as she is easy going and he is a little anxious.

The age difference isn't too much. I'd watch for subtle signs of resource guarding in either of them. It is not "typical" that one dog would want to take out another, imho.

I wish you a happy multi dog household Smile. I am pleased at how well our Maltese and two Bouvier des Flanders get along.

Posts: 2629 | Location: CT | Registered: October 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
Years back I had a very similar situation with unexpected results in the end.

I had a 6 year old GS male that was the smartest and most obedient dog I had ever owned. I came across the opportunity to acquire a 3 month old GS female. That puppy took to the old dog immediately. My male put up with her probably only because I asked him to. The problem arose as she grew older as she became impossible to train not looking to me as the authority figure but rather the male dog. He was her whole world and I saw that as the root of the problem. I tried everything I could think of to train her, including separation, but it was all for naught. I got rid of her when she was two years old.

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5035 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of katndog
posted Hide Post
Bassamantic - she sounds like my girl. She's 2.5 years old now and getting better. But I don't think it was the other dogs, just her personality. Someone described her as less operant than my boys - I think that describes her well. But loving, loyal and not reactive, yet incredibly environmentally aware. She is my good time girl.

Posts: 2629 | Location: CT | Registered: October 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by katndog:
Bassamantic - she sounds like my girl. She's 2.5 years old now and getting better. But I don't think it was the other dogs, just her personality. Someone described her as less operant than my boys - I think that describes her well. But loving, loyal and not reactive, yet incredibly environmentally aware. She is my good time girl.

Your female sounds light years beyond the one I had. I could not teach her the basics: sit, stay and come. She was not even close to being loyal. Funny, but I never got another female dog afterwards.

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5035 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't burn
the day away
posted Hide Post

Thanks for advice Gents,
We are getting her Sunday, she is a black working line GSD named Noel- my male met her and it went well. Psyched!

Posts: 2074 | Location: Worcester County, MA  | Registered: December 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of valkyrie1
posted Hide Post
Had a 8 yr old female Gsd and introduced a Cane Corso female pup,as long as you initiate slow contact,walk together,make sure who the "boss" is everything went fine, got along great and became buds. Unfortunately shortly there after I had to put the GSD down..

Posts: 2306 | Location: Florida | Registered: March 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Very good looking female. I had an all black female out of working lines. My male was her sire.
Are you going to work her? If so what kind of work/training?

NRA Life Endowment member
Tri-State Gun collectors Life Member

Posts: 2794 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SR025
posted Hide Post
Good looking hund

Posts: 840 | Location: DFW | Registered: January 04, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

Beautiful girl. Have you ordered the second vacuum cleaner yet? Smile

Posts: 10784 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't burn
the day away
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aquabird:
Very good looking female. I had an all black female out of working lines. My male was her sire.
Are you going to work her? If so what kind of work/training?

She's started Obedience wise, I'm getting her from a friend that's very experienced in Shutzhund. She will be a trail dog, both running and Mtb and I will Start with a BH and maybe try for a Shutzhund 1 Her sire is named Vegas Del Nero Lupo IPO3- very nice GSD!

My daughter is 12 and she will be involved with training and care, she's ready for the responsibility and is beyond excited!

Don't burn
the day away
posted Hide Post
1st night complete, the 5 month female GSD puppy had a good night, our 9 year old male GSD tolerated her to a point, he does get annoyed but he removes himself from the situation/location and we stopped her from following so he could have have his space. When given the chance he did display dominence behavior and she responded submissively. My prediction is they will be good together, my male has always been very aloof and I need some Time to read her personality.

I have kept her on a short leash with in the house after she had a quick pee on my wife's favorite carpet.

Picture of katndog
posted Hide Post
she is beautiful. All the best!

Don't burn
the day away
posted Hide Post
Going well so far, my daughter couldn't
be happier.

Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
Glad you went with a female. If it were two females, well I've seen two alphas try to kill each other, fighting for pack leader. Just supervise interaction for a while.

Also don't push the young one hard. I don't push my dogs until close to 18 months when they stop growing.

I'd enforce pack structure. Let the male out first, etc. Female should get in line. The pup will learn a lot from the trained male.

Great dogs.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12622 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't burn
the day away
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Prefontaine:
Glad you went with a female. If it were two females, well I've seen two alphas try to kill each other, fighting for pack leader. Just supervise interaction for a while.

Also don't push the young one hard. I don't push my dogs until close to 18 months when they stop growing.

I'd enforce pack structure. Let the male out first, etc. Female should get in line. The pup will learn a lot from the trained male.

Great dogs.

thank you for the advice, she`s doing great. The male definitely lets her know when he`s had enough.

She had a vet visit today, weighed in at 44lbs which shocked because she pretty bony under the coat.

Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
I'd also suggest, while she is young, start using the fur saver on her now as well as the teeth brushing. You wait, gets harder......

Congrats, she is pretty little thing.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12622 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 10-7 leo
posted Hide Post
Congratulations on providing a home to a good looking dog. Black shepherds are my favorite.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
If you beat your swords into plowshares, you will become farmers for those who didn't!
Political Correctness is fascism pretending to be Manners-George Carlin

Posts: 2038 | Location: Central FL | Registered: September 03, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post