SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Wheel offset, yay, or nay?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Wheel offset, yay, or nay? Login/Join 
SIGforum's Indian
Off the Reservation
Picture of bigpond73
posted
I will be getting some new wheels for my truck soon. Nothing fancy, just a little wider than stock. The truck in question is a 1988 Ford F350 SRW, 4x4. The stock rims are 16x6, and I am looking to put 16x8s on it. The rims are nothing fancy, just powder coated steel wheels.

My question is this, should I order the rims with any offset for a wider stance, or should I stay with the zero offset? Does offsetting the rims make that much difference in load capacity? If I do offset, am I looking at possible stability issues?

The tires I plan on running will be 33 all terrains. I have half dirt (or mud/snow, depending on the season), and half pavement trips I use this truck on. I do occasional towing of my dads Kubota Bx25 on a bumper pull trailer, otherwise, this truck is my daily driver. I realize I will lose some MPG going to a bigger tire and that is fine. My main concern is getting in and out of my ranch during any weather.

Thanks for any advice.

Mike

You can run, but you cannot hide.

If you won't stand behind our troops, feel free to stand in front of them.

Posts: 4929 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: January 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
Offsetting the wheels will result in higher load on the wheel bearings. Order the zero offsets wheels and save the others for the hip hop kids.

Posts: 10849 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In some instances the offset wheels are used for clearance in the back of the tire if you are putting a larger than stock tire on the vehicle. Yes the load on bearings increases but probably not as much loading as the unsprung weight increase loading from the heavier tires.

The “POLICE"
Their job Is To Save Your Ass,
Not Kiss It

The muzzle end of a .45 pretty much says "go away" in any language - Clint Smith

Posts: 2888 | Location: See der Rabbits, Iowa | Registered: June 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
If the rubber will clear, stay with stock offset.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15209 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
My advice is to stay with the ugly-ass stock wheels.

Posts: 26893 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted Hide Post
I've been looking at wheels lately, and I see all this X offset stuff talked about. Kinda scared me to think of doing something else to my truck, so I think I'll just stick to my weenie 2.5" level and roll on....

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
-Dr. Adrian Rogers

Posts: 6389 | Location: Mogadishu on the Mississippi | Registered: February 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIGforum's Indian
Off the Reservation
Picture of bigpond73
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arfmel:
My advice is to stay with the ugly-ass stock wheels.

I would, but am limited by the tire size I can put on them. The ugliness doesn't bother me Wink.

Mike

Posts: 4929 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: January 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIGforum's Indian
Off the Reservation
Picture of bigpond73
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys, hadn't thought of the increased load on the bearings, good to know.

This truck, without a lift, should fit 35s. I do not want a lift of any kind. Just looking to put some bigger, more aggressive tires on it, to be able to get into and out of my ranch. The poor stock rims just can't go that big. I would keep them, but am kind of forced to get the bigger wheels.

Mike

Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PHPaul:

^^^^ This Wink

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8865 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PHPaul:
^^^This. Check all the way around, and lock to lock with steering, with the wheel and tire combo you want to install. If everything clears, you're good to go.

And don't sweat the "additional bearing wear" comments. I went from 16" to 20" wheels on my F-150 over 70k miles ago, and only recently changed the front wheel bearings (at ~150k miles). They really weren't that bad, but since I was doing the brakes and had to remove the entire rotor/hub assembly anyway, I went ahead and changes them too given the cost.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
(This topic is on the list of standard / eternal Internet debates and you will not get a definitive answer before it is through)

Posts: 21097 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
blame canada
Picture of AKSuperDually
posted Hide Post
I'd do some measuring to make sure...but I think you may be ok without the offset. In the 1/2 and 3/4 tons with the TTB you had to worry about rubbing on the radius arms with larger diameter tires. The dana solid axle you're running with that is pretty forgiving of larger tires. Make sure you've got solid ball joints. You'll notice a slight difference in handling with the wider tires. I wouldn't say better or worse, just different.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The trouble with our Liberal friends...is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." Ronald Reagan, 1964
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Arguing with some people is like playing chess with a pigeon. It doesn't matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon will just take a shit on the board, strut around knocking over all the pieces and act like it won.. and in some cases it will insult you at the same time." DevlDogs55, 2014 Big Grin

www.rikrlandvs.com

Posts: 13951 | Location: On the mouth of the great Kenai River | Registered: June 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Perception
posted Hide Post
Any addition in tire size or offset are going to increase wear and tear and decrease performance of the truck as far as acceleration, hauling, and towing. That may not be important to you, and those may be be outweighed by the benefits of a more aggressive tire, but it's something you need to be aware of. I would look for the closest thing to stock width that will allow you to seat the tires you are looking for.

"The people hate the lizards and the lizards rule the people."
"Odd," said Arthur, "I thought you said it was a democracy."
"I did," said Ford, "it is."
"So," said Arthur, hoping he wasn't sounding ridiculously obtuse, "why don't the people get rid of the lizards?"
"It honestly doesn't occur to them. They've all got the vote, so they all pretty much assume that the government they've voted in more or less approximates the government they want."
"You mean they actually vote for the lizards."
"Oh yes," said Ford with a shrug, "of course."
"But," said Arthur, going for the big one again, "why?"
"Because if they didn't vote for a lizard, then the wrong lizard might get in."

Posts: 3514 | Location: Two blocks from the Center of the Universe | Registered: December 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
o.e.m.

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54604 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIGforum's Indian
Off the Reservation
Picture of bigpond73
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AKSuperDually:
I'd do some measuring to make sure...but I think you may be ok without the offset. In the 1/2 and 3/4 tons with the TTB you had to worry about rubbing on the radius arms with larger diameter tires. The dana solid axle you're running with that is pretty forgiving of larger tires. Make sure you've got solid ball joints. You'll notice a slight difference in handling with the wider tires. I wouldn't say better or worse, just different.

Thanks AK. Thinking I may be fine also with zero offset. You are correct, it has the Dana 60 solid front axle. Ball joints are good, just recently replaced.

I am coming from a 90 Bronco that had the TTB, and ran 31s on it, with minor rubbing. I do know what you mean about the steering being "different", and am prepared for that.

Mike

SIGforum's Indian
Off the Reservation
Picture of bigpond73
posted Hide Post
This has nothing to do with aesthetics, I mean, really it is a boxy 88 Ford truck Wink. This has more to do with performance, as in, "will I make it home", kind of performance. I would stick with stock if I could, the engine is stock, suspension is stock, etc. The clayey type mud and snow in the winters here can be brutal. I absolutely, positively need this truck to get in and out of the goop, reliably. Hence the need for some bigger off road tires, and rims.

I think I will just stick with the zero offset. I will gain an inch on each side of the rim, and am fine with that.

Thank you all.

Mike

Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Perception:
Any addition in tire size or offset are going to increase wear and tear and decrease performance of the truck as far as acceleration, hauling, and towing. That may not be important to you, and those may be be outweighed by the benefits of a more aggressive tire, but it's something you need to be aware of. I would look for the closest thing to stock width that will allow you to seat the tires you are looking for.

And braking. Which may be of particular concern in the mountains and towing a trailer.

Posts: 26893 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
we have had 4) F250's,
two had offset and two had stock .
both of the offset wheel trucks
had the left front wheels fly off. on the freeway

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54604 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
blame canada
Picture of AKSuperDually
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bendable:
we have had 4) F250's,
two had offset and two had stock .
both of the offset wheel trucks
had the left front wheels fly off. on the freeway
What was the point of failure on those? The hub or the wheel?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The trouble with our Liberal friends...is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." Ronald Reagan, 1964
"Arguing with some people is like playing chess with a pigeon. It doesn't matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon will just take a shit on the board, strut around knocking over all the pieces and act like it won.. and in some cases it will insult you at the same time." DevlDogs55, 2014 Big Grin

www.rikrlandvs.com

Posts: 13951 | Location: On the mouth of the great Kenai River | Registered: June 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIGforum's Indian
Off the Reservation
Picture of bigpond73
posted Hide Post
Just an update, with some pictures. They didn't have the steel rims I had wanted, so ended up with some alloys instead, which is fine. Decided to go with the zero offset, 16x8s. Put some Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs on the new rims, and this should get me through the winters here.

Thanks again for all the input Smile.

Before:

After:

Mike