SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The New Dr. Who
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The New Dr. Who Login/Join 
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted
I've had my DVR recording the Who marathon the past 11 days and this morning we get to see the new Dr Who.

nice to be able to run through the Who's in order - I think I have 14 left to review

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53179 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
How is the new Dr. Who? It is one of those shows I loved as a kid, but never go out of my way to see now. Just wondering if the new Dr. is doing it justice.

It's all about clean living. Just do the right thing, and karma will help with the rest.

Posts: 1113 | Location: The Republic of Texas | Registered: April 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
Is he on first?

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31441 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sig226fan:
How is the new Dr. Who? It is one of those shows I loved as a kid, but never go out of my way to see now. Just wondering if the new Dr. is doing it justice.

We don't know yet. First show with her as The Doctor is tonight. I set my DVR months ago.

I HOPE they take it in a different direction than the past season. There are two basic types of Who episodes. There are the beautiful ones, full of hope and wonder (Girl in the Fireplace, Vincent and the Doctor, Into the Dalek, Time of the Doctor, Twice Upon a Time, Day of the Doctor, etc). Then, there are the 'horror' episodes, that play out like gritty horror movies (too many to mention). There was a meme where it says Doctor Who used time travel for educational purposes: trips to the past taught about history, trips to the future taught about the possibilities of technology. Now, it just teaches you that life is unfair and everybody you love dies. I mean, they killed off the past two companions (Clara and Bill), and they stranded Rory and Amy Pond in the past (almost the same thing).

I remember the good old days where companions were BETTER OFF for having met The Doctor (Rose Tyler, Martha Jones, Donna Noble). Now, it makes The Doctor out to be a massive jerk, knowing that the companions he takes on are likely to DIE HORRIBLE DEATHS. I mean, he went out of his way to tell Bill in the Season 10 Pilot episode (titled The Pilot) "This is the TARDIS. You are always safe inside. Nothing bad will happen to you INSIDE the TARDIS." Of course, most action takes place OUTSIDE the TARDIS, and that is where everybody dies, of course.

They got rid of Steven Moffat, so hopefully they will go back to making good stories that make you feel good about yourself, instead of the dark, gritty crap they had most of last season.

I love Peter Capaldi's portrayal of the Doctor, but not even David Tennant could have worked with some of the lousy plot lines they had in recent years.

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21845 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
probably a good thing
I don't have a cut
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hound Dog:

We don't know yet. First show with her as The Doctor is tonight. I set my DVR months ago.

You might want to reset it. It is a worldwide simulcast so it actually debuts at 1:45PM ET on BBC America in the US. But if you want to wait until tonight to watch it, they will be replaying it like 5 or 6 times after the premier.

Posts: 3382 | Location: Tampa, FL | Registered: February 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances with Wiener Dogs
Picture of XinTX
posted Hide Post
quote:
I love Peter Capaldi's portrayal of the Doctor, but not even David Tennant could have worked with some of the lousy plot lines they had in recent years.

I like Capaldi, but his accent was so thick at times I had to turn on CC to know what he was saying. And not even Tom Baker could have made those scripts work. (Would you like a jelly baby?)

“The only power any government has is the power to crack down on criminals. Well, when there aren't enough criminals, one makes them. One declares so many things to be a crime that it becomes impossible for men to live without breaking laws.” Ayn Rand

“If we relinquish our rights because of fear, what is it exactly, then, we are fighting for?” Sen. Rand Paul

Posts: 8351 | Registered: July 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sig2340:
Is he on first?

I don't know.....

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29696 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
Ok, I saw it. Not impressed. NO SPOILERS.

The new Doctor seems to be a decent actor, but I'll have to see how the stories work out. As I've indicated before, I can watch almost anything/anyone as long as the STORY is good.

This story wasn't that good. It had some good points, and I liked the human support cast (the guy who can't ride a bike, the woman cop (a Bobbi?), Gran, and the step-granddad). The overall story was just too deathy; it reminded me of some of the dark (and depressing) episodes from the Matt Smith era, and the last season of Who with Capaldi.

I mean, they introduced a character, showed he was a good kind man that had loving grand-kids, and then KILLED HIM just 30 seconds later.

I'll give it a go, but I'm not really hopeful based on this first episode. As I said earlier, I want them to move AWAY FROM the dark, gritty, and depressing episodes they had in the past 2-6 seasons.

Posts: 21845 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just Hanging Around
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by darthfuster:
quote:
Is he on first?

I don't know.....

Third base.

Posts: 3236 | Location: NE Kansas | Registered: February 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Haveme1or2
posted Hide Post
I've been watching dr who since uhf was new. The trash cans and plunger darlects (sp).
For some reason the low budget, poorly written show still had a silly/stupid draw on me. Still does. Nostalgic plays a big role.
I don't care about any of the t's being crossed or i's being dotted. Just be the silly stupid constant that it's always been and I'll enjoy it.

Posts: 1002 | Location: Mint Hill NC | Registered: November 26, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
A DW watching friend of mine texted me last night:

"The UK is 87% white, but you'd never know that watching this show."

I'm still like 2 seasons behind on DW so I haven't watched yet and won't for a while until I'm all caught up.

Posts: 33807 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Muddflap:
quote:
Originally posted by darthfuster:
quote:
Is he on first?

I don't know.....

Third base.

What's the guys name on second?

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29696 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That is my spot.
posted Hide Post
We like them. Haven't seen the new girl yet. (No cable, etc.) I love the new ones and the old ones. I don't really care if they are happy or sad as long as its a good story. They do have more of a "social" type agenda/propaganda vibe sometimes. Still, better than reality Boo Boo shows.

Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Ben Franklin

Posts: 2110 | Location: Rural Tallahassee, FL | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
A DW watching friend of mine texted me last night:

"The UK is 87% white, but you'd never know that watching this show."

Doctor Who has always been big on minority representation (Micky the Idiot, Martha Jones' whole family, Bill Potts, etc). In this episode, the main characters were mainly minorities (black guy, black grandma, Indian(?) girl cop, white bread step-grandfather), but that doesn't even register with me in the least bit. I found the supporting cast to be interesting with good chemistry and potential.

Now, whether they have good STORIES to help the cast work, we will have to wait and see. . .

Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
I watched it and wasn't particularly impressed

she seems like a good actress but the story itself was not that great

I hope it gets better

biggest bitch about the show...I knw they have daylight in GB, so what was everything filmed in the dark? that gets annoying after about 10 minutes

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53179 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do the next
right thing
Picture of bobtheelf
posted Hide Post
There's more than a little SJW-ish stuff going on, and not a significant departure from the story lines of the last couple of years. Even a ridiculous "only idiots carry knives" line tossed in.

I'll give it a couple more episodes, but if it doesn't change, I'll be fine watching reruns of the Tennant/Smith years.

Posts: 3660 | Location: Nashville | Registered: July 23, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Experienced Slacker
posted Hide Post
"Only idiots carry knives."
Anyone else catch that?

So tiresome, but I'll give it one or two more tries just out of stubbornness.

Posts: 7495 | Registered: May 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's pronounced just
the way it's spelled
posted Hide Post
The Doctor should never have said that, as one of the Doctors longer running companions was a woman from a warrior race who always carried a knife.

I found the plot to be terribly derivative of a long running sci-if movie series.

Posts: 1502 | Location: Arid Zone A | Registered: February 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by apprentice:
"Only idiots carry knives."
Anyone else catch that?

So tiresome, but I'll give it one or two more tries just out of stubbornness.

I missed that one.

To be fair, though, The Doctor in recent years has shown a distinct anti military bias. Capaldi's Doctor basically told a female soldier that wanted to travel with him that he has no use for soldiers (funny, since he often used the services of a Sontaran and the lizard woman - two die-hard soldiers).

Tennant ruined the career of a good PM because she destroyed a retreating alien ship. Doc was PO'd and called it 'murder,' even tho the PM did the right thing (PM said she did it to protect Earth, while Doctor argued the HE was the only protection Earth needed, despite the fact that the aliens ALMOST killed millions of people and the Doctor was unconcious for 80% of the episode, having just regenerated).

So an anti knife message doesn't surprise me. Doctor also hates guns (I would give up my guns in exchange for a TARDIS and Sonic Screwdriver) even though he will use them occasionally himself and is often surrounded by gun-toting companions (Rose Tyler, Jack Harkness, River Song, UNIT, etc) and this IS the UK, after all.

An investment in knowledge
pays the best interest
posted Hide Post
Wish the good Doctor could regenerate into a young Tom Baker.

Posts: 3362 | Location: Mid-Atlantic | Registered: December 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post