SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Daughter and Archery - Proud of the kid
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Daughter and Archery - Proud of the kid Login/Join 
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted
The Arizona State Junior Olympic Outdoor Championships are next weekend. Normally our daughter shoots in the under 12 Bowman age division. The original plan was she was going to shoot up one age division in Cub so she would be shooting against her friend and rival Amanda. Funny thing was, the girls were among the first to register and no one has registered for that division since they signed up.

Unfortunately, due to an injury Amanda has had to withdraw. So what's our daughter decide to do? Shoot up yet another age division into the 15-16 year old Cadet group. It's also shot at 50 meters rather than the 30 meters Bowmen and Cubs shoot at. When I asked her why, her response made me proud.

"Dad, I've got a wall full of trophies, I'd rather have a challenge than another trophy."

Every now and then she surprises me and I think my wife and I have done something right. So whenever I hear the argument now that everyone should get a trophy, I'll just remind them that I've got an 11 year old daughter who probably gave one up for something more meaningful.

My daughter can deflate your daughter's soccer ball.

Posts: 11765 | Location: Eagle River, AK | Registered: September 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
...as indeed you should be!

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16208 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
Brought yet another smile to my face. She will respond to the challenge...in fact she already has.

Posts: 18058 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Deeds Not Words
posted Hide Post
Dad, that right there is some spine...she will do just fine. Good luck Maya...Good job Mom and Dad!
Shoot Straight from Romania!

Navy BMD: When "Aim High" isn't High Enough!

Posts: 62 | Registered: August 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DeadHead
Picture of two-two-niner-romeo
posted Hide Post
Awesome! Smile

"Being miserable and treating other people like dirt is every New Yorker's God-given right!" - GhostBusters II

"You have all the tools you need. Don't blame them. Use them." - Dan Worrall

Posts: 1903 | Location: Putnam County, NY | Registered: May 22, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Comic Relief
Picture of Eponym
posted Hide Post
quote:
<snip>no one has registered for that division since they signed up.
Since meaning after, or meaning because? Smile

Maya is awesome! The competition hides in fear.

Posts: 4818 | Location: Indianapolis, IN | Registered: September 28, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Yellow Jacket
posted Hide Post
I love and look forward to seeing your posts about Maya.

She is an exceptional person with maturity and wisdom beyond her years.

Thank you very much for sharing your daughter with us. It is a blessing.

God's mercy: NOT getting what we deserve!
God's grace: Getting what we DON'T deserve!

"If the enemy is in range, so are you." - Infantry Journal

Bob
P239 40 S&W
Endowment NRA
Viet Nam '69-'70

Posts: 1099 | Location: Fayette County, GA | Registered: April 14, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ozarkwoods
posted Hide Post
Reach around and give yourself a pat on the back. You and your wife are raising a great child. Mature beyond her age, and one heck of a good archer.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 4835 | Location: SWMO | Registered: October 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doing what I want,
When I want,
If I want!
Picture of beltfed21
posted Hide Post
Are you sure She's your daughter? Big Grin

That is awesome! Congrats to you and your wife.... wonderful parenting!

"On the other side of fear you will always find freedom"

Posts: 2667 | Registered: January 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 2000Z-71:
Funny thing was, the girls were among the first to register and no one has registered for that division since they signed up.

"Dad, I've got a wall full of trophies, I'd rather have a challenge than another trophy."
Both of these made me smile.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23246 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Super awesome. Who wants to beat a bunch of mooks?

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Joie de vivre
Picture of sig229-SAS
posted Hide Post
You guys have done a lot more 'something right' with her, she has a great head on her shoulders and will far in life!! Great job mom and dad!

Posts: 3851 | Location: 1,960' up in Murphy, NC | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jcat
posted Hide Post
Just think how proud you'll be when she smokes all those 15/16 year olds! Big Grin

Posts: 9958 | Location: RI | Registered: October 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Chock full of awesome.
Definitely a kid to be proud of.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15307 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post