SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Science Geeks - Whale Fall Actively Devoured by Scavengers
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Science Geeks - Whale Fall Actively Devoured by Scavengers Login/Join 
posted
Super cool video; per their website:

Davidson Seamount (4,101') is an inactive volcanic undersea mountain habitat off the coast of central California, and is considered to be an area of special national significance. One of the largest known seamounts in U.S. waters, the seamount has been called "an oasis in the deep" in an otherwise flat seafloor, hosting large coral forests, vast sponge fields, crabs, deep-sea fishes, shrimp, basket stars, and high numbers of rare and unidentified benthic species. Recent research suggests that this pristine area may be necessary for maintaining healthy coastal populations in the MBNMS, and it is important to characterize the range of these populations on adjacent hard substrate habitat.

Whale Fall Actively Devoured by Scavengers at Davidson Seamount

Posts: 2044 | Registered: September 19, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
Very cool. I wonder how long it's been down there. Weeks? Months? Longer? That's a lot of animal to clean.

Posts: 5906 | Location: Denver, CO | Registered: September 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
Yes, very cool. Surprised it wasn't covered in crabs

Posts: 5317 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
come and take it
posted Hide Post
Fascinating to see, mother nature has a plan for all of that protein to be useful to some creature.

I got to go on safari in Tanzania 30 years ago and it completely reset any ideas I had about mother nature. The food chain there is hyper aggressive.

You would come upon a dead wildebeest and the buzzards would have moved in and be having their lunch. You go to take a look and they are bigger over there, 6 foot wingspan and they turn toward you to run you off. Then the hyenas come in and say that's my lunch! Then the lions come in and run off the hyenas and have lunch. And then 10 million ants from a 4 foot tall anthill nearby move in and take the carcass down to nothing, and all of that happens in a day or two. The scavenger food chain doesn't let anything go to waste.

I have a few SIGs.

Posts: 1887 | Location: Texan north of the Red River | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Life is tenacious and everywhere. If you go to the most inhospitable place on the planet- Life is there taking advantage of the opportunity.

quote:
Watch Giant Isopods Eat an Alligator in the Deep Sea

https://www.realclearscience.c...in_the_deep_sea.html

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13397 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BigSwede:
Yes, very cool. Surprised it wasn't covered in crabs

I'd guess the crabs and larger scavengers have already visited and moved on.

Remember.... this is your future if you end up at the bottom of the sea. Devoured in totality by various creatures, worms, and bacteria.

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37950 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of hjs157
posted Hide Post
I learned a new term today. Whale Fall. The subject line read awkwardly for me until I looked up the term. Thanks for sharing.

Posts: 3505 | Location: Western PA | Registered: July 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
chickenshit
Picture of rsbolo
posted Hide Post
I was astonished by the number of octopi.

Posts: 8000 | Location: East Central FL | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post