SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Truck owners: Sliding rear glass?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Truck owners: Sliding rear glass? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Have a cap on my Tacoma king cab. Built two shelves. One in the cap, other in the cab. Both sit at window/top of bed sides level. With both sliders open (cab and cap) dogs can come and go front to back. They love having the space to move around. Even works in bad weather and both stayed pretty dry. One liked to lay on the shelf behind me while I would drive and rest her head on my shoulder (Border Collie). They were both happy to be at window level and could see out.

Posts: 2128 | Location: south central Pennsylvania | Registered: November 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
I use the power sliding rear glass on my F350 frequently. The rear glass is tinted and opening it up makes it easier for me to see when lining up with the fifth wheel with the hitch. I also like to use it for ventilation. I was suprised how often I use it. It's way better than a sunroof which I've never found useful.

Posts: 10797 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
I use it when I carry long light things, like molding or pvc pipe.

It's also a good way to vent really hot air out quickly. AC on in front, electric slider open in back, and drive.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12741 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
with a shell on the bed , all the time, w/o a shell, 6 times a year.

Now theres a fella here in town w/ a full sized p/u, his rear window goes up and down , all the way across, electrically

I'd use that on a regular basis w/o a shell.

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54481 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you're gonna be a
bear, be a Grizzly!
Picture of Todd Huffman
posted Hide Post
I used to run around with a crowd in high school, one of which was a gal named Linda. She loved to drink beer, and tossed the empties through the sliding window into the back on a regular basis.

My truck bed was frequently ankle deep in beer cans after the weekend festivities. That window became known as the Linda Winda,and I call it that to this day.

Here's to the sunny slopes of long ago.

Posts: 3633 | Location: Morganton, NC | Registered: December 31, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Animis Opibusque Parati
posted Hide Post
Tacoma owner here... my sliding rear glass works very well at bringing any debris, loose straw, or pine needles from the bed into the cab at 60MPH. Maybe I am doing it wrong.

"Prepared in mind and resources"

Posts: 1351 | Location: SC | Registered: October 28, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Maybe they are a relic of no AC times.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53116 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
I had a Chevy half ton with front vent windows, floor vents and a sliding rear window. That was all the air conditioning it had and you needed every bit of it in the TN heat.

Posts: 17869 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Old Air Cavalryman
Picture of ARMT Guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jaaron11:
The entire rear window on my Tundra lowers. I use it all the time to facilitate airflow and because the kids like it.

Same here.

"Also I heard the voice of the Lord saying who shall I send, and who will go for us? Then said I, here am I, send me."

Posts: 7464 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
silence is acceptance
Picture of birddog1
posted Hide Post
I have an F150 with one as well as a sunroof. I open both but leave the side windows closed for a nice ventilation

Posts: 2336 | Location: Massillon, OH | Registered: January 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Ice Cream Man
posted Hide Post
Cracked it all the time in the summer, to help with the cab getting hot while parked - along with cracking the sunroof, it worked well.

Posts: 5705 | Location: Republic of Ice Cream, Miami Beach, FL | Registered: May 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
Have one on my ranch truck ('03 Tacoma extracab) that I never use. Have one on the family truck ('11 Tacoma four door w/ 6' bed) that I used just the other day when picking up some conduit with the dogs in the back. Mostly that one gets used by the kids to annoy me though. Smile

Posts: 6864 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted Hide Post
I didn't have one on my '04 F150 Crew, but on the '15 Silverado Crew I have a power rear window.

My only real use for it thus far is that if I open the rear window and then just one of the front windows, it eliminates that drumming sound these new trucks do that hurts your ears so much. Other than that and giving the dog a new spot to sniff the air, it hasn't been worth spit.

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
-Dr. Adrian Rogers

Posts: 6389 | Location: Mogadishu on the Mississippi | Registered: February 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Character, above all else
Picture of Tailhook 84
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Minnow:
Tacoma owner here... my sliding rear glass works very well at bringing any debris, loose straw, or pine needles from the bed into the cab at 60MPH. Maybe I am doing it wrong.

Maybe so. My F-150 does the same thing when I have it completely open. But only open an inch or so dramatically reduces the door window blast, and with no debris, straw or anything entering the cab from the rear. This is true for both my standard cab '91 and '03 Super Crew with electric rear slider.

Any future truck I own will have a rear slider.

"The Truth, when first uttered, is always considered heresy."

Posts: 2538 | Location: West of Fort Worth | Registered: March 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Quit staring at my wife's Butt
Picture of XLT
posted Hide Post
only time I ever use it is when want to put longer trim boards thru the window when it's raining, I have a shell.

Posts: 5574 | Registered: February 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2012BOSS302
posted Hide Post
Leaving work on a hot day, vent out the heat - until I get up to about 30 mph - ac on and windows closed.

Donald Trump is not a politician, he is a leader, politicians are a dime a dozen, leaders are priceless.

Posts: 3785 | Location: Idaho | Registered: January 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bodhisattva
posted Hide Post
I use it all the time. Wouldn't have a truck w/o it. Calms turbulance in the cab when the windows are down.

Posts: 11505 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rtquig
posted Hide Post
I have one on my Silverado, a power slider. Used it in the summer once in a while to get the heat out of the truck on hot days. Probably 6 times a year. The cables broke last year. I looked up the part, there were 2 part numbers, each had a different length cable. GM told me which one to order. I got the part, spent the afternoon with my 2 boys taking out the back seat, taking out the old cable and motor only to find the cable was too short. I can open and close it by hand, wasn't going to wait for another part, My sons were not going to be around to help later. I wish the truck didn't come with the sliding window.

Living the Dream

Posts: 4011 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: December 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PHPaul:
Around here, that's known as a "sliding beer window".

They were referred to as "Billy Carter windows" around here for that very reason.
For younger members, Jimmy's brother Billy was a beer drinker of wide reknown. He was quite an amusing sumbitch.

Posts: 403 | Registered: November 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
Rarely use mine. It's manual open/close so it's a PIA to get into the back seat in order to open and close it. It does create a nice air flow if you also have a side window or two open. I guess it would be good to run with it open now and again to air out the accumulated farts.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post