SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Truck owners: Sliding rear glass?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Truck owners: Sliding rear glass? Login/Join 
Master-at-Arms
Picture of apf383
posted Hide Post
I use mine from time to time, either for my surf rods, or for passing lumber through, that kind of crap. The remote operated ones are really nice, but mine is manual.

Foster's, Australian for Bud

Posts: 7508 | Location: Stuck in NY, FUAC  | Registered: November 22, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
At Jacob's Well
Picture of jaaron11
posted Hide Post
The entire rear window on my Tundra lowers. I use it all the time to facilitate airflow and because the kids like it.

J

Rak Chazak Amats

Posts: 5282 | Location: SW Missouri | Registered: May 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Like a few others, I'll open it to vent out the heat when I first take off, but that's about it.
I am a bit envious of the full slide window in the Tundra.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15325 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
Around here, that's known as a "sliding beer window".

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15231 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gone but Together Again.
Dad & Uncle
Picture of h2oys
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sreding:
I always used it when I had the windows open - helped pull air through and eliminated the buffeting you usually get at highway speeds.

+1

Posts: 3723 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: November 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sreding:
I always used it when I had the windows open - helped pull air through and eliminated the buffeting you usually get at highway speeds.

This is why I use mine on my F250. If it's not raining the rear window is open.

USMC (Ret) 1970-1990
Recovering 1911 Addict
NRA Benefactor Member

Posts: 173 | Location: Manassas, VA | Registered: May 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Yep it helps with air flow to reduce buffeting at speed, and the hound dog loves to look out of.

Posts: 23457 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
The only uses I would have for them are with a camper shell and passengers or to throw beer cans out of so they aren't in the cab, neither of which I do. So, no use for them. I have had one truck with it but never used it.

Posts: 27963 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shit don't
mean shit
posted Hide Post
The AC doesn't work in my 89 Chevy pickup, std cab. I use the rear slider just about every time I am in it. Driving with the drivers window open is brutal at highway speeds without the slider open.

Posts: 5760 | Location: 7400 feet in Conifer CO | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
Without it, how would you toss the empties into it to blow out down the road?

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12417 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
All the time! My truck isn't air conditioned!

Also you can throw a dog leash through it and secure it to the center seat belt to secure a pet riding in the bed... required by law here.

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4129 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jaaron11:
The entire rear window on my Tundra lowers. I use it all the time to facilitate airflow and because the kids like it.
With the advent of all the crew cab trucks, the horizontal slider is going the way of the DoDo. However, I would love to have the power rear window the Tundra has on my F-150. Opening the entire rear window to help cool the cab would be fantastic.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
blame canada
Picture of AKSuperDually
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigdeal:
quote:
Originally posted by jaaron11:
With the advent of all the crew cab trucks, the horizontal slider is going the way of the DoDo. However, I would love to have the power rear window the Tundra has on my F-150. Opening the entire rear window to help cool the cab would be fantastic.

I'd like one of those also.

I have the electric slider, which I like...but it's awfully small. I liked the dodge version which had 2 slides that you could crawl through. When I had a leer 122 on my old truck (2000 F350), the front window was removable, which would have coupled nicely with a full size lowering window. We use the 2 sliders with a rubber boot to allow the kids to pass back and forth and use a porta-potty in the bed on long trips. With the camper (Arctic Fox) on, we'd reach through or allow the maligator to pace the camper and stick his head through to say hello. That worked well. With the security of the electric window...I think they should make them larger in the Fords.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The trouble with our Liberal friends...is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." Ronald Reagan, 1964
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Arguing with some people is like playing chess with a pigeon. It doesn't matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon will just take a shit on the board, strut around knocking over all the pieces and act like it won.. and in some cases it will insult you at the same time." DevlDogs55, 2014 Big Grin
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

www.rikrlandvs.com

Posts: 13957 | Location: On the mouth of the great Kenai River | Registered: June 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
cigar smoking 11b4
Picture of goatboyz
posted Hide Post
I use mine all the time. I have two Airdale Terriers that love having the rear windows open. Without the sliding window (or a front window) open the buffeting noise is painful. So, I open the rear slider so they can have the wind and stick their heads out without it blowing my eardrums...

‎"I have a high art; I hurt with cruelty those who would damage me."
-- Archilocus, 650 B.C.

Posts: 1247 | Location: Behind the cheddar curtain. | Registered: July 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of motorheadjohn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 95flhr:
I use mine all the time. If the windows are open so is that one.

This. Works great for ventilation, including when the side windows are up. But I found that was true for regular cabs...extended or four-door cabs it was too far to reach to open it.

Posts: 1051 | Location: Yorktown, VA | Registered: October 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tuesday was gone when I told her my name is the breeze.
posted Hide Post
I have a 2016 ford 150 platinum,and use the window a lot for air flow,when my ac is not on.I dont use it much,but i sure missed not having one in my 2012 silverado.

I hate to admit it,as i am 60,but when i play lynrd skynrd 'They call me the breeze',the back window gets opened up,the sun roof get's opened,and the side window's come down about halfway,the song get's cranked to the max,i head down the highway.

For a few minute's am 18 again,and mentally i am back in the 70's,headed to a kegger out in the wood's,talking to my buddy's on a cheap cb radio,without a care in the world.

Posts: 1796 | Location:  | Registered: November 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
the slider on my last truck had a broken latch. couldn't tell it by looking at it from the inside or outside, but I knew.

one day locked my keys in it with it running and had to crawl through the slider to get in.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10487 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gone to the Dogs
Picture of tomgun
posted Hide Post
My 06 dodge ram has the power slider. The damn thing leaks. I have it sealed now so the leaking stopped and I'm never going to open it again.
A google search shows a lot of dodge owners with these problems.

Posts: 1696 | Location: Lake Tapps, WA. | Registered: June 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aquabird:
I have had 3 pickups. All have had a sliding rear window and I would not be without one.
All my pickups have had short beds. If you get some lumber that is longer than your bed, and do not want to open the tail gate and let it ride there, you can put it through the window and the other part in the bed.

This^^^^^
Mine opens with a push button switch and I use it a lot.

Posts: 1890 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, Missouri | Registered: August 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I use mine all the time. I have owned 7 trucks over the years, and only 1 didnt have the Sliding rear window. I also like it just for the looks, it helps to break up the long back window

Posts: 2226 | Location: Lawrenceburg, In | Registered: May 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post