SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Truck owners: Sliding rear glass?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Truck owners: Sliding rear glass? Login/Join 
Picture of Leemur
posted
I've owned several trucks and most have had a sliding rear glass. Do you guys even use yours? I may have opened mine 3-4 times. Not sure what essential function they serve. Just seems like a potential leak problem IMO.

Posts: 13735 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Living my life my way
Picture of molachi
posted Hide Post
I had a truck with camper shell and I put the sliding window in. Since it had the shell mine stayed open most of the time.

Posts: 1756 | Location: The Backyard of Nowhere | Registered: August 09, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My truck doesn't have it. I have seen people open them in order to stick long pieces of lumber up into the cab, rather than having them stick out the back of the truck.

Posts: 1168 | Registered: July 06, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
used it often in my old hilux, both with and without the shell,

rarely in my T100 and later my tundra,

as in maybe 3-4 times since 1997...

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10410 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of skonie
posted Hide Post
Never use mine.

Posts: 1510 | Location: NV | Registered: July 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Saluki
posted Hide Post
Don't care about the slider but it was part of the tinted window package. Glad I have the tint, otherwise it looks like a utility vehicle.

----------The weather is here I wish you were beautiful----------

Posts: 5130 | Location: southern Mn | Registered: February 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
The only real use for it is if you have a camper shell on your truck.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107260 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alienator
Picture of SIG4EVA
posted Hide Post
My Ridgeline has a power sliding. I never use it unless somebody is riding in the back.

SIG556 Classic
P220 Carry SAS Gen 2 SAO
SP2022 9mm German Triple Serial
P938 SAS
P365 FDE

Psalm 118:24 "This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it"

Posts: 7058 | Location: NC | Registered: March 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
Mine were quite useful in the two that had one.

**************~~~~~~~~~~
"I've been on this rock too long to bother with these liars any more."
~SIGforum advisor~
"When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

Posts: 9849 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have had 3 pickups. All have had a sliding rear window and I would not be without one.
All my pickups have had short beds. If you get some lumber that is longer than your bed, and do not want to open the tail gate and let it ride there, you can put it through the window and the other part in the bed.

NRA Life Endowment member
Tri-State Gun collectors Life Member

Posts: 2794 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
Out of the 5 trucks that I've owned, only one had a sliding rear window which I only opened and closed the day I purchased it just to ensure it worked. Never had a reason to open it again in the 4 years I owned it.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23101 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of FlyingScot
posted Hide Post
Used mine on 2004 F150, and use the one on our 2017 Ridgeline. I like to have windows open and like the air flow with it, fishing rods, lumber, ability for kids in back to check the load, etc.

Useful, wouldn't be without it.

“Forigive your enemy, but remember the bastard’s name.”

-Scottish proverb

Posts: 1999 | Location: South Florida | Registered: December 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
Slobbering dog snout portal

Posts: 5302 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"The deals you miss don’t hurt you”-B.D. Raney Sr.
posted Hide Post
I haven't had one on the last two trucks and I kinda miss it.

Posts: 6289 | Location: East Texas | Registered: February 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cruising the
Highway to Hell
Picture of 95flhr
posted Hide Post
I use mine all the time. If the windows are open so is that one.

“Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves.”
― Ronald Reagan

Retired old fart

Posts: 6476 | Location: Near the Beaverdam in VA | Registered: February 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I always used it when I had the windows open - helped pull air through and eliminated the buffeting you usually get at highway speeds.

I reject your reality and substitute my own.
--Adam Savage, MythBusters

Posts: 1745 | Location: Red Wing, MN | Registered: January 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Use mine all the time in conjunction with the tilt feature on the sunroof to move the hot air out of the vehicle in the summer (when I first get in an start it up).

Also if a side window is open, you can cut down on the turbulence inside the cabin by cracking the back window.

I find it very handy.

I have the 2017 Honda Ridgeline.

The "Boz"

Posts: 1528 | Location: Central Ohio, USA | Registered: May 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sreding:
I always used it when I had the windows open - helped pull air through and eliminated the buffeting you usually get at highway speeds.

Yep, during the rare seasons here when I can ride around with the windows open, this works well. Also, as mentioned, for transporting 10 ft pieces of lumber or pipe. Also, on hot days when I do have to park outside (pistol matches, usually), I can open the slider and crack the two front windows a bit and leave the truck locked.

Posts: 10778 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
I use mine too, both for ventilation when it's not warm enough for air, and for the dog when she's with me running errands, to increase air flow in the truck while I run into a store for something. Yes, friends, the dog stays home when the weather turns hot.

Posts: 13166 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No place to go and
all day to get there
Picture of JWF
posted Hide Post
Bought my Tundra in 2003 and it was totaled in Feb (Goober ran a red light), I never opened the slider. New Tundra does not have a slider and I am fine with that.

Just another day in paradise.

NRA
Georgia Carry

Posts: 1321 | Location: NW GA | Registered: September 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post