SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Family of five is evicted as affordable housing crisis worsens in Minneapolis
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Family of five is evicted as affordable housing crisis worsens in Minneapolis Login/Join 
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
He's reached looney left nirvana, victimhood. It's the most important thing in our culture now.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Still has a minimum wage job (along with his spouse). He has done little to improve his standard of living; i.e. get an education, learn to speak English, get a better job.

They have improved the neighborhood thus rent increases. If he wants to live in the improved neighborhood, pay the price.

I started off in the jail working nights. I attended the academy in the days. 6 months later, I was certified. Then I got my AAS. Paid for by the GI Bill and both of us working overtime. Same with my Bachelor's. Then we both worked OT to help pay the the Mrs. Master's Degree.

We ate a lot of tuna casseroles, cheap hot dogs, etc. Vacations were normally a tent in the woods.

All the time, we had children and put money away for retirement.

Quit feeling sorry for yourself and start improving yourself.

Posts: 7019 | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of downtownv
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim Shugart:
So, Jose has been living there for 23 years and he still can't speak English?

My thoughs exactly!
Perhaps senior Lopez doesn't give a crap about being part of this country. Perhaps he should go home and be treated MUCH more fairly
Adios Lopez family.

https://www.teampython.com

Posts: 8353 | Location: 18 miles long, 6 Miles at Sea | Registered: January 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have no sympathy. I worked in a GD prison in San Francisco at 13,500 a year when I started out, paid rent with overtime and GI bill while I studied. I transferred to, uh, lesser desirable locations (that I will not name) until we reached a comfortable income level. Prior to that I was stationed in several locations with the Army, including 2 overseas locations. Screw this guy.

Posts: 17144 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
Wow, I wonder if poor Jose is getting same level of backslapping support that's evident in this thread locally.Razz
I might have some sympathy for him if he'd made any effort to assimilate and improve his situation.

Posts: 7267 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
is circumspective
Picture of vinnybass
posted Hide Post
The US has the richest "poor" people in the world.

"We're all travelers in this world. From the sweet grass to the packing house. Birth 'til death. We travel between the eternities."

Posts: 5480 | Location: Las Vegas, NV. | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
I get all that, and I'm in total agreement with the building owner.

But as I get older I'm finding that I have a soft-spot for stories which affect kids in a negative way.

They didn't ask for their situation and now have just one more obstacle ahead of them.

Until I had kids of my own, I never used to think like that.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12329 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
I suspect that the Somalis have taken a big hunk of the available public housing.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8945 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ronin1069:
...I'm finding that I have a soft-spot for stories which affect kids in a negative way.

They didn't ask for their situation and now have just one more obstacle ahead of them...

So, just add Child Abuse to their being lazy, stupid and rude. Jose and his wife did this to their children, not you. I agree it's sad for them, but they're not our problem.

I'd be willing to bet that the kids managed to learn English, though, and perhaps even some American values. That usually the way with immigrants. To their credit, children seem more capable of understanding their situations than the parents who abused them. By all appearances, the family is here legally, so they won't be deported to whatever shithole they originated in. The kids will survive.

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9158 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No double standards
posted Hide Post
quote:

But as I get older I'm finding that I have a soft-spot for stories which affect kids in a negative way.

They didn't ask for their situation and now have just one more obstacle ahead of them.

I understand. Maybe a workable solution, if the parents are truly interested in improving their lot in life and that of their children, would be to find a mentor who could help them grow to become independent and self reliant. Everyone in society would be better off.

Maybe semi-related, seems to me liberals don't want to foster self reliance, it's having "dependents" that keeps liberals in power.

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women. When it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it....While it lies there, it needs no constitution, no law, no court to save it"
- Judge Learned Hand, May 1944

Posts: 30668 | Location: UT | Registered: November 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
quote:
The capitalist in me gets this, the human in me believes there has to be another way....

Even if he and his family weren't green card Mexicans without the ability to speak English, they would have to think in the back of their minds that their "home" was never going to be permanent. People should NEVER 100% rely on living in a rental unit for the long term, because surprise-surprise, it ain't a right. Unless one lives in a rent controlled liberal city. Pisses me off because of people like the Lopez family, thinking they have the right to live in their rental unit (which is owned by someone else) forever, and without increases in their rent rate to boot.

Tenants like these have the attitude that they share in ownership just because they helped the evil landlord make millions off the poor people Roll Eyes.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16693 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:

Very first thought that entered my mind.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Sounds like they need to bring in some more of those "noble refugees", lots and lots more.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107566 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by oddball:Tenants like these have the attitude that they share in ownership just because they helped the evil landlord make millions off the poor people Roll Eyes.

There was an article a few weeks ago discussing the evil landowners selling off trailer parks to developers and destroying their "neighborhood".

Posts: 8955 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:

Oh, for the chirrins?

Watch living near all the leftist loons, it might be rubbing off. Wink

The didn't ask for the situation, by renting for 23 years and working minimum wage jobs?

Ah, ok.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ChuckWall
posted Hide Post
I wonder if he votes?

MAGA

Posts: 5689 | Registered: February 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
quote:
“It’s really so mean and unjust,” Lopez said in Spanish, speaking through an interpreter. “How can someone come in and buy the building and we have to leave in 30 days?”

Let me correct this.

"It's really so mean and unjust, that someone who just has a lease and doesn't want to follow the terms thinks he can hassle the legal owner and avoid legal eviction by trying to play the race card and going for publicity."

Nice try, Jose. Wink

Posts: 15027 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Corgis Rock
Picture of Icabod
posted Hide Post
The rent increase is about $300 dollars. $1095 to $1400.

There was theater yesterday:

"Lopez handed a check to Steve Lubke, a property manager, for his August rent. Lubke refused it. He also rejected checks from renters in other buildings the new owner has. They’d been hit with rent increases but still wanted to pay their previous, lower rents."
http://www.startribune.com/a-f...eapolis/438321663/#1

While there are 38 units, most renters have left and only about 15 remain.

The issue appears to be linked to:
" Property tax records show that Jason Quilling, a landlord who had been under fire for rent increases and the conditions in some of his Minneapolis apartment buildings, sold his properties — including the Pleasant Avenue address — earlier this year to Villa Nova Real Estate Holdings, which is based in Redondo Beach, Calif."

My thought is that a major remodel is planned. However, the Lopez apartment is being advertised to rent.

“ The work of destruction is quick, easy and exhilarating; the work of creation is slow, laborious and dull.

Posts: 6060 | Location: Outside Seattle | Registered: November 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
quote:

Very first thought that entered my mind.

Mine too.

You lose Jose, you're not doing your children any favors being a "victim".

Posts: 11744 | Location: Western Oklahoma | Registered: June 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mired in the
Fog of Lucidity
posted Hide Post
Could he be called.......Jose from the block? Nah, never mind.

Given the non-career jobs they have, it would seem that they could move elsewhere fairly easily to a lower rent area. All they need is a couple of restaurant jobs.

Posts: 4850 | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post