SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Concealed Carry Magazine-please vote in "Best Cover Contest 2018"
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Concealed Carry Magazine-please vote in "Best Cover Contest 2018" Login/Join 
Smarter than the
average bear
posted
I hope this post is okay with the administration here. I just got this email from the USCCA about this "best cover" contest in which they were nominated. I have to agree that I love the idea of a gun related magazine getting some positive attention. This is the body of the email:

Can I Ask a Favor…? BY TIM SCHMIDT - USCCA FOUNDER Tim Schmidt

I'm excited and honored to announce that the USCCA's award-winning publication, Concealed Carry Magazine, is in the running for the American Society of Magazine Editors' (ASME) "Best Cover Contest 2018."

The contest, which runs through Jan. 31, includes a whopping 280 entries from some of the biggest, most popular and most-read publications in the nation, including National Geographic, Newsweek, TIME, Glamour, ESPN, The Atlantic and GQ.

And that's why I need your help...

Think about it for a second: In places like LA and San Francisco and Chicago and New York, where many of these publications originate and where the voting for these types of contests usually take place, guns aren't exactly looked upon with favor. But we — responsibly armed Americans — have a chance to change the conversation by voting Concealed Carry Magazine to the top!

Take a look at the two covers that made the cut — our "Comfort & Style" issue and our "Concealed Carry Lifestyle" issue — and, if you would, click on over to Facebook to cast your vote by liking BOTH covers! I'd also be extremely thankful if you'd share these links with all your responsibly armed friends.

There are many magazine covers that were nominated, and apparently the contest is determined by which cover gets the most "likes" on Facebook. If you don't have a Facebook account, I'm guessing you can't vote. Here are the direct links to the two covers that were nominated:

https://www.facebook.com/ASME1...1436/?type=3&theater

https://www.facebook.com/ASME1...6436/?type=3&theater

Posts: 3435 | Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana | Registered: June 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I recently signed up with Tim. Now if I can just get him to stop emailing me many times a day.
Roll Eyes

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16088 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Smarter than the
average bear
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
I recently signed up with Tim. Now if I can just get him to stop emailing me many times a day.
Roll Eyes

I'm not making any endorsement of USCCA (although I'm okay with them). I just really like the idea of that magazine winning "Cover of the Year" against all of the more general publications. I like the idea of heads exploding.

Posts: 3435 | Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana | Registered: June 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
Seems a little sad. Imagine if you were a professional art director and had a whole team of people working on the cover of a magazine, and a prestigious award for your industry was given to someone else simply because a bunch of people wanted someone else to win.

We see voting calls here a bunch, and most are pretty much a popularity contest, and that's fine. This seems more like the voting should really be based on work product.

Posts: 13048 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
I subscribed to the magazine many years ago when it was a magazine, not just an avenue for him to bombard me with all sorts of marketing hype.

Then the breathless hype started (and continued), the prices went way up, etc. and I googled him and read some of the interviews.

Didn't like what I saw, wasn't going to buy the oversold products and left. Haven't been back.
Others are welcome to have a different opinion.

Posts: 9506 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Smarter than the
average bear
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aeteocles:
Seems a little sad. Imagine if you were a professional art director and had a whole team of people working on the cover of a magazine, and a prestigious award for your industry was given to someone else simply because a bunch of people wanted someone else to win.

We see voting calls here a bunch, and most are pretty much a popularity contest, and that's fine. This seems more like the voting should really be based on work product.

I understand your point, but if they wanted it to just be an industry award with objective voting, they wouldn't have made it a popularity contest for the most "likes" on Facebook. And I'm sure that other nominees are telling all of their contacts to vote for them.

Plus, these two covers, one in particular, are very good. Especially compared to a lot of the 'dreck' that's out there.

I just wanted to bring it to the attention of the forum. Vote how you want, or don't.

I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 220-9er:
I subscribed to the magazine many years ago when it was a magazine, not just an avenue for him to bombard me with all sorts of marketing hype.

Then the breathless hype started (and continued), the prices went way up, etc. and I googled him and read some of the interviews.

Didn't like what I saw, wasn't going to buy the oversold products and left. Haven't been back.
Others are welcome to have a different opinion.

That seems to be the business plan for these groups.

The worst I’ve seen was AOPA. I had a multi year running battle with Phil whatzizname over all the junk mail and hype I was getting, this before internet, before I finally quit and made them remove all reference to my existence.

I’m a Life Member of ARRL, the ham radio group. When I joined ~40 years ago, marketing to their list wasn't an issue. They at least had the decency to take my name off the list they sell for marketing. When you are a Life Member, there is only one way to get off the list unless they accommodate you.

NRA was similar, but their assurance that I could request no junk mail was disavowed.

The mailing list is the most valuable asset these outfits have, it seems.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post