SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Is it possible to recover DNA from lead ball?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Is it possible to recover DNA from lead ball? Login/Join 
posted
I acquired a Remington 1858 New Army 2 years ago. There was an assortment of personal effects included with the purchase belonging to the original owner. One such item was a lead ball said to have been pulled from the gentleman's arm during the civil war. I didn't have to search long to find an 1863 issue of the Iowa Hawkeye Gazette detailing this particular skirmish by one of the survivors. In the letter, he mentioned by name this particular gentleman being struck and wounded in the arm. Another article mentions that this gentleman kept the lead ball as a souvenir.

In a glass vial, I have the apparent lead ball. It's deformed with debris embedded within. Is it possible to perform a DNA test to determine the authenticity of the claim? If so, whats the best course of action?

Posts: 1150 | Registered: October 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sure it's possible, and I'm sure there are independent labs able to do it. But the question is do you have any DNA to compare it to? You're never going to know if it is definitely his DNA unless you have a sample.

If you have a family line then they could certainly compare to that and give you probabilities.

Posts: 1168 | Registered: July 06, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
You'd need a sample from the gentleman who was wounded or his known descendants for comparison, wouldn't you?

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shaman
Picture of ScreamingCockatoo
posted Hide Post
As long as there's tissue, there's DNA.
The will be some degradation.

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster.

Posts: 39744 | Location: Atop the cockatoo tree | Registered: July 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ScreamingCockatoo:
The will be some degradation.

Perhaps more than some.

The question is how much tissue is still on the ball, if any.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47394 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
To what end? Prove that the ball you have really was the one that shot him?

Posts: 21092 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For a DNA test - you need DNA from the original source. Unless you have a time machine - this would be difficult to obtain.

Posts: 4979 | Registered: April 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
It was demonstrated (twice?) just recently that DNA from an unknown source can be linked to that of other donors in public databases to sometimes learn familial relationships.

The biggest problem in this case is that unless the bullet was stored under very unlikely conditions all these years, including long before anyone had the slightest inkling of what information DNA could reveal, it’s equally unlikely that usable DNA would be recovered from it. Even the fact that it was probably handled by countless people besides the original gunshot victim would have hopelessly contaminated whatever might be recovered from its surface.* And that doesn’t consider how much the original DNA would have degraded over time due to heat and other environmental conditions.

* I reread the original post. If the ball was sealed in a glass container shortly after it was recovered, that would improve the chances of its retaining recoverable DNA, but even then I suspect it is likely that it originally bore the DNA of more than the original victim.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47394 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Graniteguy:
For a DNA test - you need DNA from the original source. Unless you have a time machine - this would be difficult to obtain.

No, you just need a family member to prove that it was from someone in that family, which would give you a very high probability it was from that man.

That's how several killers have been caught recently - family members uploading DNA samples to public databases for genealogy research.

The question is if there is any DNA still on that lead ball and if there are any known surviving family members willing to give a DNA sample for comparison.

***Oops, sigfreund - I was typing as you posted**

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I know a teeny-tiny bit about this since I'm serving as a Casualty Affairs Officer for the family of a pilot who's remains we recently recovered from LAOS.

Anyway, as others have said, 1st you have to find a DNA sample on the ball. Then it has to be not degraded enough that you can test it and get results back. Then it needs to be compared to a family member's DNA.

The probabilities on my pilot's DNA as compared to his 2 sisters that it was him vs. an un-related stranger was something like over a thousand times more likely it was him.

What would the probabilities be comparing a Civil War vet's DNA to a distant relative now? I'm guessing slim...if the sample is even viable.

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just last week I finished up an article on genealogical testing and cold cases. It's with an editor at the moment and should be released next week. What you are talking about here really isn't much different except that you don't have much else to go on (compared to a crime scene).

I reworded a paragraph of the article here to apply to the situation you described...

Investigators working on cold cases submit previously gathered DNA evidence from a crime scene to direct to consumer (DTC) genealogy testing services. These services then return information about the DNA makeup of the submitted sample such as ancestry composition and individuals who may share similar DNA. Such information enables an investigator to identify possible family members of the sample donor and create an extended family tree. These relatives represent a list of potential leads investigators can follow in conjunction with other information to help them identify the identity of the sample.

Chuck

Life's tough...tougher if you're stupid

(AKA "cwr" on SIGforum [email account issues])

Posts: 358 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: February 05, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
After that long, the DNA may have degraded beyond analysis.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53120 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SR
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lopezp:
It's deformed with debris embedded within.

fabric or genetic material (or perhaps both)?

Speak softly and carry a big stick loaded Sig

Posts: 4887 | Location: Raleigh, North Carolina | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post