SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    What's the dumbest thing you've ever been pulled over for?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What's the dumbest thing you've ever been pulled over for? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cmr076:
quote:
Originally posted by ARMT Guy:
I've been pulled over twice for what I consider rather petty offenses, ( all the other times were legit Wink Red Face ).

Both times, it was by MPs - once in Germany and the other time in NY state. The first offense was going the wrong way on a one way street, ( actually a traffic circle, ) and the second time it was running a stop sign. Both times.. I was on... a mountain bike. Yup.

Full meal deal: lights and siren. Not ticketed either time, but I felt both traffic stops were rather dumb.

I'm not gonna lie. It makes my blood boil when I see people on bikes disregard the law as if stop signs, etc don't apply to them. They want us to share the road with them but don't want to follow the same rules as the rest of us on the road

Yeah, around hear we'll get a train of 20 or more bikes just ride through a 4 way stop while cars are waiting to cross in the other direction. I swear if I'm ever the first car at the stop sign I'm pulling out. Not fast enough to run into one of them, but maybe I could get one of them to run into me.

------------------------------
"They who would give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
- Benjamin Franklin

"So this is how liberty dies; with thunderous applause."
- Senator Amidala (Star Wars III: Revenge of the Sith)

Posts: 1494 | Location: Southwest Ohio | Registered: October 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
I've been pulled over twice for what I consider rather petty offenses, ( all the other times were legit Wink Red Face ).

Both times, it was by MPs - once in Germany and the other time in NY state. The first offense was going the wrong way on a one way street, ( actually a traffic circle, ) and the second time it was running a stop sign. Both times.. I was on... a mountain bike. Yup.

Full meal deal: lights and siren. Not ticketed either time, but I felt both traffic stops were rather dumb.

I'm not gonna lie. It makes my blood boil when I see people on bikes disregard the law as if stop signs, etc don't apply to them. They want us to share the road with them but don't want to follow the same rules as the rest of us on the road

Me also, I believe that they need to be licensed taxed and registered just like cars, run a red light, cop.... License and registration please. Ticket them just as if I ran the light.

If they had to hang a license plate, carry insurance papers and restoration; and held responsible for traffic violations maybe, just maybe some won't run out in front of me at the intersection without stopping. Holding up traffic on narrow county roads for miles in a no passing zone.

Getting to use roads that some don't pay any taxes for because they don't own a vehicle. Ride on the road pay a fair tax and tag it like any other vehicle!

ARman

Posts: 3146 | Registered: May 19, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No double standards
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cmr076:....I'm not gonna lie. It makes my blood boil when I see people on bikes disregard the law as if stop signs, etc don't apply to them. They want us to share the road with them but don't want to follow the same rules as the rest of us on the road

Makes sense to me.

I did see a bike rider at the front of the left turn lane, heavy traffic, the left turn green arrow lit up, he started his left turn, riding the bike with one hand as he was doing something with his I-thingey with the other hand. Roll Eyes

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women. When it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it....While it lies there, it needs no constitution, no law, no court to save it"
- Judge Learned Hand, May 1944

Posts: 30668 | Location: UT | Registered: November 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
The warning ticket was the nicest I had ever seen. It was computer generated and printed. Wisconsin spent money to automate the ticketing process. From the patrol car. That tells me that traffic enforcement in WI. is big business!

Most agencies are switching to e-citations. It's actually really handy. It saves time and unnecessary paper.

You don't have to worry about sending copies out to the right people, since it's all automated, and extra copies can be printed or sent electronically as needed.

You don't have to write everything by hand; much of it auto-populates, and the rest is easy to fill in.

And best of all, other folks don't have to struggle with trying to decipher the writing on their copy of the ticket.

Which would you rather try to read? Something like this:

(An admittedly extreme example, but I've seen some really shitty ones before, as I'm sure you did back in your day)

Or would you prefer this:

I dislike ecitation. I'll never use it. It makes writing tickets too easy, which makes cops write too many of them. Plus, I remember the stop better if I put pen to paper.

I remembered my dumbest thing I've been stopped for:

About a year ago I was driving through my old hometown. One stoplight, one bank, one gas station, 55 churches...that kinda place. Had the kids in the back of my hatchback car. My 9yo (at the time) was buckled up in his booster and was turned around looking behind us as I was telling him how nice the town was when I was his age.

We pass the one cop as he was sitting at the defunct 2nd gas station. About a mile later I looked in my rearview and saw said cop busting down the highway, lights and siren on. I pull out of his way and damned if he doesn't stop behind me!

He walks up and tells me that someone had flagged him down and said that there was a child sitting in my rear hatch area, unsecured. He notices my 9 year old sitting in his booster seat, buckled in, and realized that the nosey ninney was mistaken.

He still took my driver's license and ran all my info, which led to my phone blowing up from all my family/old friends listening to "scannerland" hearing my name on their radio. Roll Eyes

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11444 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Old Air Cavalryman
Picture of ARMT Guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ARman:
quote:
quote:

Me also, I believe that they need to be licensed taxed and registered just like cars, run a red light, cop.... License and registration please. Ticket them just as if I ran the light.

If they had to hang a license plate, carry insurance papers and restoration; and held responsible for traffic violations maybe, just maybe some won't run out in front of me at the intersection without stopping. Holding up traffic on narrow county roads for miles in a no passing zone.

Getting to use roads that some don't pay any taxes for because they don't own a vehicle. Ride on the road pay a fair tax and tag it like any other vehicle!

ARman

I understand y'alls sentiment here, ( and it pisses me off when confronting the same bikers on crowded city streets, ) but in my two instances, I didn't mention that in both cases, I was on relatively deserted sections on base and after normal commuting hours. No other traffic around.

I got it.. breaking the law is still breaking the law. But the two situations were still rather absurd, specifically for the time of day and absolute lack of traffic during those two times. Had they happened during normal work/commute hours, I could very easily understand. Attempting the same actions during work hours would've resulted in me becoming a hood ornament.

"Also I heard the voice of the Lord saying who shall I send, and who will go for us? Then said I, here am I, send me."

Posts: 7464 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

ARman

I've ticketed bicycle riders before. They are subject to the same laws as a m/v. The last one was when I was sitting at a stop sign at a three way intersection. A female yup is westbound. I'm facing south stopped at the sign. It's my turn to proceed and she blows right through the sign without slowing down one bit. I decide to stop her to remind her that she has to obey the law just like the driver of a car. She refuses to stop and mutters something about my mother under her breath. I force her to stop and ask her for her license. She then tells me my stop is illegal and that because she's on a bike she doesn't have to obey traffic laws. I call for a wagon for her bike, put her in the back of my car and we all go into the station. She finally produces her license when at which time I write her a ticket. She then also finds out that she has to post a cash bond which didn't go over to well either,lol. Now that was probably the third ticket I wrote in my entire career. And at that time I had about 20+ years on so one can see how much I like writing tickets. But she earned a special prize that day.

Posts: 5731 | Location: Chicago | Registered: August 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lkdr1989
posted Hide Post
Got pulled over by the Lebanon police for going too slow...45 in a 55 zone; I had driven about 16 hours from southern Utah and was about an hour from home, it was around midnight, but apparently the officer thought it wasn't safe to be going 10 under that late at night Wink He told me to to go the nearest convenience store and get a coffee but at that point, I was pretty wide awake!! No ticket.

...let him who has no sword sell his robe and buy one. Luke 22:35-36 NAV

"Behold, I send you out as sheep in the midst of wolves; so be shrewd as serpents and innocent as doves." Matthew 10:16 NASV

Posts: 4330 | Location: Valley, Oregon | Registered: June 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bulldog7972:
quote:
quote:
quote:

ARman

I've ticketed bicycle riders before. They are subject to the same laws as a m/v. The last one was when I was sitting at a stop sign at a three way intersection. A female yup is westbound. I'm facing south stopped at the sign. It's my turn to proceed and she blows right through the sign without slowing down one bit. I decide to stop her to remind her that she has to obey the law just like the driver of a car. She refuses to stop and mutters something about my mother under her breath. I force her to stop and ask her for her license. She then tells me my stop is illegal and that because she's on a bike she doesn't have to obey traffic laws. I call for a wagon for her bike, put her in the back of my car and we all go into the station. She finally produces her license when at which time I write her a ticket. She then also finds out that she has to post a cash bond which didn't go over to well either,lol. Now that was probably the third ticket I wrote in my entire career. And at that time I had about 20+ years on so one can see how much I like writing tickets. But she earned a special prize that day.

Yes she did! I usually think traffic tickets are not always needed but sometimes it is the only way to pound it into the thick heads!

My only other wish on traffic offenses that was inforced more is running the stop arm on school buses. It has gotten bad around here and the local police don't seem to keen on enforcement!

Good on you for making your point with that chick!

ARman

Posts: 3146 | Registered: May 19, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 308th_sps
posted Hide Post
1976. Middle of nowhere. I got a ticket for passing in an intersection. The intersection was a dirt road that led off into a cotton field. I told the trooper that we would go to court on this one and he got a little mad at me. When I showed up for court two weeks later, he walked in be hind me. The judge looked up and asked me (by name) what I was doing there. I said "Uncle Bud, this man wrote me this ticket for passing in an intersection". I then told him
where it occurred. He tore the ticket up and jumped all over the trooper.
Two years later the trooper was fired for shooting deer from a helicopter.

308th_sps

American by birth
Veteran by choice
Southern by the Grace of God

Posts: 199 | Registered: May 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
quote:

...once in Germany and the other time in NY state.

One an oppressive nazi police state, the other... Germany. Big Grin

Posts: 21052 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In the yahd, not too
fah from the cah
Picture of ryan81986
posted Hide Post
I got pulled over at 10PM in a town with one street light every 2 blocks. The reason? My tint looked like it was "too dark"....

Did I mention it was Saint Patrick's day? I didn't even get a warning and the tint meter never came out.

Posts: 6337 | Location: Just outside of Boston | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I've got a cunning plan
posted Hide Post
Out of date inspection.

While that isn't wholly dumb, the fact that they stopped me in the parking lot of the inspection facility and gave me a ticket. I even told them I was there to get the inspection done.

$350 into the local coffers

Posts: 987 | Location: U.S.A. | Registered: October 23, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Author,
cowboy,
friend to all
posted Hide Post
Rock Springs Wyo about 20 years ago, I was driving through when a city cop pulled in behind me and was following me about one second between us. I moved to the right lane, so did he, I pulled off on the side of the road and stopped, so did he.

I waited for him to come to me, he did not. I got out of my car and walked back to his car and asked if he wanted anything, he said no and asked me what was the trouble. I said I felt he was following too close.

He turned on his reds and asked to see my license etc. I complied. He stated that I was impeding the normal flow of traffic, even though I was doing the speed limit as were most of the other cars in the presence of the cop.

I asked to speak to his Sgt., he said OK, the Sgt drove up and now it was two to one, I asked for a supervisor and a Lt drove up, now it was three to one and I was going to jail!!

I quickly decided to negotiate, apologized for my poor judgment and promised to never - ever interrupt the peace and dignity of their town again.

I have no idea what I did to start the whole deal.

They let me go with a warning!!

Posts: 2400 | Location: Riverton Wyoming | Registered: June 05, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cat Whisperer
Picture of cmr076
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

ARman

I understand y'alls sentiment here, ( and it pisses me off when confronting the same bikers on crowded city streets, ) but in my two instances, I didn't mention that in both cases, I was on relatively deserted sections on base and after normal commuting hours. No other traffic around.

I got it.. breaking the law is still breaking the law. But the two situations were still rather absurd, specifically for the time of day and absolute lack of traffic during those two times. Had they happened during normal work/commute hours, I could very easily understand. Attempting the same actions during work hours would've resulted in me becoming a hood ornament.

I wasn't talking about you in particular, it just made me think of all the asshole cyclists in philly I deal with daily.

------------------------------------

├┼┼╕
246R

Posts: 3901 | Location: SE PA | Registered: November 13, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cat Whisperer
Picture of cmr076
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bulldog7972:
quote:
quote:
quote:

ARman

that makes me all warm and fuzzy inside. If I were a cop I'd ticket every cyclist that even remotely broke the law.

------------------------------------

├┼┼╕
246R

Posts: 3901 | Location: SE PA | Registered: November 13, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
Last year I had to stop at WalMart on my way home from work. I pull out of the parking lot to a side street that intersects with the divided 4 lane highway. There is a stop sign there. You can see a half mile in each direction. There is not a car in sight. I pull up to the stop sign with my right blinker on. Come to a complete stop and turn right. I see lights in my mirror and immediately pull over. A cop was hiding in the car wash near the intersection. He pulls me over.

"Do you know why I pulled you over?"
"No idea, officer."
"See the stop sign there (pointing)?"
"You mean the one I just stopped at?"
"You didn't stop for a full three seconds."
<I just chuckled and shook my head>

$98 to the small, cash strapped town.

I had a dash cam that showed I did come to a complete stop, but only held it for about a second.

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In the yahd, not too
fah from the cah
Picture of ryan81986
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RichN:
Yeah, around hear we'll get a train of 20 or more bikes just ride through a 4 way stop while cars are waiting to cross in the other direction. I swear if I'm ever the first car at the stop sign I'm pulling out. Not fast enough to run into one of them, but maybe I could get one of them to run into me.

I'd recommend against this.

Posts: 6337 | Location: Just outside of Boston | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chadw659:
Out of date inspection.

While that isn't wholly dumb, the fact that they stopped me in the parking lot of the inspection facility and gave me a ticket. I even told them I was there to get the inspection done.

$350 into the local coffers

Shit. I'm sorry, I hope you can laugh about it now

Posts: 13164 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ryan81986:
quote:
Originally posted by RichN:

I'd recommend against this.

Yeah, loud pipes save lives and the ponytail and chapps boyz have the right of wayz... Razz

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Let's be careful
out there
posted Hide Post
I was attempting a merge from the left from 475E to 75 N. The construction zone took up most of a county. As I came down the ramp, I would have had to merge into the fast lane, nose to tail North-bound semis. Nobody would let me in. So I stopped. And got a ticket for driving in the paint. AND I got side swiped by a big truck, leaving an 18 inch wide layer of rubber down the right side of my car.

Posts: 7333 | Location: NW OHIO | Registered: May 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post