SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Assistance please with a WWII USN rating
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Assistance please with a WWII USN rating Login/Join 
Be Like Mike
Picture of CEShooter
posted
I'm working on an ancestory project for my daughter and while doing my research into my wife's family I came across a Muster Roll with my grandfather-in-laws las
Last rating and I think I have the first part of it but I'm stumped on the last part of it. The muster roll reads SC2e(T) and it looks like the SC2 equates to a USNR officer designation for Special Service, Special Communications Duties but does the e(T) mean anything or am I chasing my tail looking for a definition? Thanks!!

---------------
"Structural engineering is the art of moulding materials we don't understand into shapes we cannot precisely analyze, so as to withstand forces we cannot really access, in such a way that the community at large has no reason to suspect the extent of our ignorance." Dr. A. R. Dykes

Posts: 2229 | Location: 500 Miles from the homeland | Registered: February 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
Ships Cook 2nd Class. I'm not sure what to make of the e and T.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Are you sure it isn't SC2c(T)?

That would be a WWII commissary branch ships cook 2nd class teacher/instructor.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16183 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
Special service, reserve officer. E -- USNR officer designation for General Service, Engineering Duties. T-- Trainor.

Posts: 13806 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Be Like Mike
Picture of CEShooter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bald1:

You are correct on the c vs. e. The scan on line was a bit on the fuzzy side.

My follow up question is if all of the records from '43-'45 show him as a SC2 would this refute or tell me nothing in the family lore that he was a UDT during the war?

---------------
"Structural engineering is the art of moulding materials we don't understand into shapes we cannot precisely analyze, so as to withstand forces we cannot really access, in such a way that the community at large has no reason to suspect the extent of our ignorance." Dr. A. R. Dykes

Posts: 2229 | Location: 500 Miles from the homeland | Registered: February 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CEShooter:
quote:

You are correct on the c vs. e. The scan on line was a bit on the fuzzy side.

My follow up question is if all of the records from '43-'45 show him as a SC2 would this refute or tell me nothing in the family lore that he was a UDT during the war?

The only cook I ever heard of that had UDT / SEAL quals was the fictional Casey Ryback character in the movie Under Siege. So I'd say the family lore is just that.

That said I've come across a number of families that morphed WWII assignments on amphib ships into UDT. If I were a betting man I'd say your grandfather-in-law was a cook on a LST, LSD, AKA, APA, LSM, or similar ship where he either qualified or came aboard with instructor quals. Do the muster records or his service records show a ship's hull number?

Also keep in mind that many of the WWII ships were manned by supervisors at ranks very junior by today's standards. As a second class petty officer with that instructor qual he may very well have been the senior cook aboard his ship. A position given wide deference by shipmates junior and senior alike. Smile

This message has been edited. Last edited by: bald1,

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16183 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CQB60:
Special service, reserve officer. E -- USNR officer designation for General Service, Engineering Duties. T-- Trainor.

Where did you come up with that?

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Be Like Mike
Picture of CEShooter
posted Hide Post
quote:

That said I've come across a number of families that morphed WWII assignments on amphib ships into UDT. If I were a betting man I'd say your grandfather-in-law was a cook on a LST, LSD, AKA, APA, LSM, or similar ship where he either qualified or came aboard with instructor quals. Do the muster records or his service records show a ship's hull number?

It looks like he spent the entire war on USS ATR 54 based upon the muster rolls that I'm coming across.

---------------

Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CEShooter:

It looks like he spent the entire war on USS ATR 54 based upon the muster rolls that I'm coming across.

The ATR-1 class was an ocean going rescue tug. They played a critical role taking care of ships that were damaged after going in harms way. Wood hulled, 166' long with a crew of 52 so no doubt your grandfather-in-law was indeed the chief cook. The USS ATR-54 was assigned to ServRon 1 of the Atlantic Fleet and was present for the Normandy invasion (6-25 June 1944).

http://www.navsource.org/archives/09/40/40054.htm

http://www.shipscribe.com/usnaux/ATR/ATR01.html

Couldn't find a picture of the ATR-54 but this is what her class looked like:

Couldn't find much history although there was a reference to her assigned to tow the LST-133 off Normandy.

Found one source that said she was decommissioned and sold to Cuba in 1946.

Trust some of this helps with you and your daughter's project.

USN (RET), COTEP #192

posted Hide Post
You might find more information at the Military Archives.

https://www.archives.gov/publi.../spring/aad-ww2.html

Posts: 2771 | Location: Northern California | Registered: December 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
http://asisbiz.com/Il2/US-Navy...l-Abbreviations.html
quote:
Originally posted by JALLEN:
quote:

Posts: 13806 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
http://asisbiz.com/Il2/US-Navy...l-Abbreviations.html
quote:
quote:

Thanks for that. If there is one thing the Navy loves, it is abbrevs.

We used to "grab ass" in the barracks at OCS, mocking our predicament, coming up with absurdly formal "orders" etc. One of the favorites was "PERGRA." Permission granted. That is the first one I looked for in your long list, and sure enough. There it is!

Before I was commissioned, I was a radio operator. Some of the traffic sent in the clear was indecipherable, even more than if it had been encrypted into FLGs.

Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
That is a handsome vessel.

Cheers to your ancestor. It may be that being the cook didn't seem glamorous enough, so someone "improved" his rating.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53121 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:

Cheers to your ancestor. It may be that being the cook didn't seem glamorous enough, so someone "improved" his rating.

Somebody was never in the Navy!

The cook is the most important person on the ship.

Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:

Somebody was never in the Navy!

The cook is the most important person on the ship.

I don't doubt it is true. But I think someone polished grandpa's reputation after the fact.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53121 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
:^)
Picture of BillyBonesNY
posted Hide Post
Cooks have battle stations too!
They aren't flipping pancakes under fire...

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doris_Miller

----------------------------------------
http://lonesurvivorfoundation.org

Posts: 7179 | Registered: March 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
CEShooter,
Are you satisfied with what has been found and posted here or are there any other questions?

USN (RET), COTEP #192

half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
We learned very early on never to upset the cook.

tac

Posts: 11315 | Location: UK, OR, ONT | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post