SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Watching ice sailing on Put-in-Bay
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Watching ice sailing on Put-in-Bay Login/Join 
Membership has its privileges
Picture of P-220
posted
There are a few live cams on the Great Lakes that I monitor daily.

In mid December, there was some shore ice in the Western basin of Lake Erie, but in melted by the end of the year.

Fast forward to about 2 weeks ago when it turned cold again.

In the last 2 weeks, they had blizzard-like conditions, then it turned bitterly cold and there was more ice.

Although much of the ice has again melted, PIB still has ice. Enough to ice sail.

I am not sure how fast they go, but this guy was moving. He was out on the ice for several hours.

Does anyone here ice sail?

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve

Posts: 36838 | Location: 45174 | Registered: December 09, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Edge seeking
Sharp blade!
posted Hide Post
The lake I live on Missouri has likely the most southerly concentration of iceboats in the world. Probably about 30 iceboats. I crashed my Arrow iceboat going about 40 MPH about 25 years ago. Sailed onto thin ice that grabbed my runners bringing me to an abrupt stop. Broke my fibula and my ankle out of its socket. Had to have a screw put in there.

Going to watch iceboat races on Lake Monona in Madison Wisconsin tomorrow.

This is the website I follow to find iceboat regattas to watch: https://www.iceboat.org/

Posts: 7452 | Location: Over the hills and far away | Registered: January 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I love to sail, but the notion of going out in an iceboat when conditions are cold enough to freeze large bodies of water, and you have enough wind to sail (read: WINDCHILL)...hmmm, I'm not so sure about that. Wait, yes I am. No, thanks!

Posts: 2692 | Registered: November 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Edge seeking
Sharp blade!
posted Hide Post
January 16 video of the fastest ice boat class regatta: https://youtu.be/X36pPbrfoPQ

Posts: 7452 | Location: Over the hills and far away | Registered: January 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Membership has its privileges
Picture of P-220
posted Hide Post
I had no idea it is this big.

I really had no idea how fast they can be.

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve

Posts: 36838 | Location: 45174 | Registered: December 09, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Edge seeking
Sharp blade!
posted Hide Post