SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    5 years to retirement. Tell me about Hickory, Boone, Morganton NC.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

5 years to retirement. Tell me about Hickory, Boone, Morganton NC. Login/Join 
Itchy was taken
Picture of scratchy
posted
We're 5 years out on retirement, looking for a comfortable place to retire. Looking for very nice, reasonably priced housing with a view, good restaurants, access to regional or international airport, and some cultural venues. Access to shooting ranges is important, as is reasonable access to medical care.

NC is on our short list of Texas, NC, SC and Georgia. I have plenty of time to visit and decide, but we have members in all of these areas with great things to say.

Money IS a hurdle, we are well off but not FU wealthy.

Posts: 4014 | Location: Colorado | Registered: August 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alienator
Picture of SIG4EVA
posted Hide Post
Hickory is still foothills, no much up there to do but they have the largest exotic wood store which is nice. Boone is a great mountain/university town. Morganton is similar to Hickory but closer to the mountains. If I were to choose, I would do Boone all day long although land will be cheaper in Hickory or Morganton.

SIG556 Classic
P220 Carry SAS Gen 2 SAO
SP2022 9mm German Triple Serial
P938 SAS
P365 FDE

Psalm 118:24 "This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it"

Posts: 7071 | Location: NC | Registered: March 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Itchy was taken
Picture of scratchy
posted Hide Post
Where we currently live, halfway between Denver and Boulder Colorado, is perfect, except for altitude. My wife has asthma, and the high/dry makes it much worse. I'm looking for a place much like what I live in with a better view, and smaller population. And lesser need of a snowblower.

Posts: 4014 | Location: Colorado | Registered: August 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rev. A. J. Forsyth
posted Hide Post
I just recently relocated to Winston Salem. Not sure what is available medical-wise out toward Boone, but Wake Forest is in Winston Salem and has some top-notch care.

Posts: 1639 | Location: Winston-Salem  | Registered: April 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Itchy was taken
Picture of scratchy
posted Hide Post
My stepdaughter got her PhD from Wake medicine in genetics in 2015. I certainly agree!

posted Hide Post
I live in a neighboring county to Boone/Watauga County. I am 25 minutes from Boone (lower property values where I live-but higher than Morganton & Hickory). Boone property will be considerably higher than any of the other NC areas mentioned (Hickory, Morganton, etc.). The campus of Appalachian State University and university housing is always in competition for acreage. The university system of NC wants App. St. to increase their student population annually.

Also, Boone for reference is at 3300+ feet elevation vs. approximately 900+ at Winston Salem that someone mentioned earlier. Cooler summer temps and more wintery conditions vs. “off of the mountain”.

Of course, compared to Denver/Boulder the snow amounts will be minimal to inconsequential.

It is a great area to live in. Good luck with your decision. Let me know if I can provide additional info regarding the Boone area. Just for reference again, I am approximately 1.5 hours from Winston Salem.

Posts: 794 | Location: NW North Carolina | Registered: November 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by scratchy:
We're 5 years out on retirement, looking for a comfortable place to retire. Looking for very nice, reasonably priced housing with a view, good restaurants, access to regional or international airport, and some cultural venues. Access to shooting ranges is important, as is reasonable access to medical care.

NC is on our short list of Texas, NC, SC and Georgia. I have plenty of time to visit and decide, but we have members in all of these areas with great things to say.

Money IS a hurdle, we are well off but not FU wealthy.

if you vote D stay in CO

---------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you're gonna be a
bear, be a Grizzly!
Picture of Todd Huffman
posted Hide Post
I live in Morganton and work in Catawba county. I’ve been here my whole life. Hickory is a pretty decent town, some areas better than others. Lake living is expensive but it’s the better part of Hickory. Across the lake from Hickory is Alexander county, nice homes and decent property taxes.

Burke County has it all. Lakes, rural areas, mountains, farmland, pretty much whatever you like. Morganton itself is a great town but I prefer living out in the country. I’m still less than 10 minutes from grocery stores and the Interstate.

My email is in my profile if you have questions about specific areas or anything else.

Here's to the sunny slopes of long ago.

Posts: 3633 | Location: Morganton, NC | Registered: December 31, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We have had a second home outside Banner Elk (technically we are in Elk Park) for about ten years. We also plan to retire there in about five years. Pretty familiar with Boone and Morganton, not so much with Hickory. I really like both, very pretty and quaint towns. Boone is more in the mountains and closer to ski areas if that is something you enjoy. Morganton is about 45 minutes closer to Charlotte and the airport, among everything else. Also closer to Asheville and it restaurants. I think the choice between Boone and Morganton depends on what lifestyle you want. Boone is bigger and busier, can be more congested, especially with Appalachian State U, but it has more stuff in town along with the cultural, athletics etc that go along with a college town. Morganton is still big enough to have everything you need but it is less crowded, quieter, slower. As mentioned, somewhat less expensive. Both have hospitals, which becomes a consideration for my wife and me at our ages and as we get older, neither is top tier but that is to be expected.

Posts: 550 | Location: S Fla / Western NC High Country | Registered: May 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Washing machine whisperer
Picture of Appliance Brad
posted Hide Post
Our daughter lives in Greensboro, NC. It's a pretty nice area.

Boone has Jeff Yarchin. It snows a lot. Wink You have to like cold. And mountains. And antique shops. Fly fishing is pretty good there

If my wife and I were to ever leave Michigan we would likely end up in WV. It's a beautiful state, decent gun laws and good people.

Posts: 11222 | Location: below the palm tree line of Michigan | Registered: September 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We lived in Tryon, NC for three years. Reasonably priced housing, decent to very good restaurants locally and a lovely place to live.

Less than an hour to major cities, reasonable taxes etc. Adequate local health facilities as well.

Good luck!!

No quarter
.308/.223

Posts: 2084 | Location: Central Florida.  | Registered: March 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You may want to consider NC, Surry or Stokes counties which boarder Virginal these counties are semirural but are are reasonably close in location to Winston-Salem (Medical) and Greensboro (Airport)

Posts: 997 | Registered: October 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
As another alternative you may want to look into the Blacksburg/Roanoke VA area.

great medical Center. Great University (VA Tech) decent airport and at the base of the Blue Ridge mountains..

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6315 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Itchy was taken
Picture of scratchy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sig209:
if you vote D stay in CO
---------------------------------

This was not a political thread, but for the record, no I do not vote D

I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
I know a pretty good pet shop in Boone if you need one. Big Grin

Posts: 13108 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Joie de vivre
Picture of sig229-SAS
posted Hide Post
We live in the western part of NC, Murphy. We're 2 hours from Atlanta or Knoxville. Definitely small town life but we love the slower life style.

Posts: 3851 | Location: 1,960' up in Murphy, NC | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigmoid
posted Hide Post
Its been alluded to, when retiring, hospitals will eventually become very important. Living out in the boonies is nice for youngin's.

________,_____________________________
*** Wanna make everything electric? Start with the border wall.

We all live for a little while and then die sooner than we planned.
Your way
or
YAHWEH

Posts: 1307 | Location: Idaho | Registered: July 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
I’m in NE GA mountains, about an hour from Atlanta and have lived in Roanoke.
Both fit the bill.

Posts: 9501 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My dog crosses the line
Picture of Jeff Yarchin
posted Hide Post
We love Boone. We live outside of town, in Watauga County. It’s definitely less expensive outside of town limits. We have 5 acres. Our real estate taxes are $1200. We are on a well with septic and prefer it that way.

If you like outdoor life.... camping, hiking, hunting, fly fishing, canoeing/kayaking it’s a great place to live.

We do get snow but it melts pretty quickly. It does get cold in the winter, a trade off for mild, summer temperatures.

Give me a shout if I can help you or answer any questions.

Posts: 12920 | Registered: June 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Haveme1or2
posted Hide Post
Boon NC gets terrible winter weather...
Aka "Gets the chit kicked outta it"

Posts: 1002 | Location: Mint Hill NC | Registered: November 26, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post